General Decks that have 3-0'd your cube

The mana base was pretty smooth, force spike did some nice work too, countering lilliana of the veil and fiend hunter.
In the end the blue splash was necessary as this was a 4-man draft and I didnt get enough playables.
Unsummon because somehow i don't have a copy of vapor snag + lazy ><
The rest of the lands were all mountains btw.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
The best part was when one of my regulars launched into an explanation of my cube--that it wasn't power max, and that "it breaks singleton!"--probably expecting James to recoil in horror. Little did he know that James is a diehard Riptide Lab-er.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
The best part was when one of my regulars launched into an explanation of my cube--that it wasn't power max, and that "it breaks singleton!"--probably expecting James to recoil in horror. Little did he know that James is a diehard Riptide Lab-er.

Did he recoil in horror anyways? That's what I would have done :p

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
The second one? Probably, I'm not sure - I didn't play against it that night. All I heard us that he was too busy Vensering his Venser on his opponents for anyone to really notice the lacklustre Geist. They were trying to find a flavour judge to get a ruling on that.

Count to Twenty

Manabase was pretty good, but I don't remember it exactly. I had 4 fetches, each of which could get me any of my four colors of mana.

Definitely managed a turn one Hardened Scales into turn two Phantom Nomad into turn three Ordeal of Nylea, swing for five, get two lands. Phantom Nomad is an insane beating in the +1/+1 counter theme.

Also managed to assemble Acidic Slime > Restoration Angel four times.

Cube for reference: http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/17849

4 person draft. Worldknit Enchantress/Aristocrats, Naya goodstuff, Grixis control.
I won with monoblue:

MonoU Control

4/4 flyer beats, manland beats, pitch Rites + Reaver (passed Gifts Ungiven for Fact or Fiction then ended up with Rites the next pack lol), deck played pretty smoothly and had a lot of routes to win once I wasn't dead.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor

Count to Twenty

Manabase was pretty good, but I don't remember it exactly. I had 4 fetches, each of which could get me any of my four colors of mana.

Definitely managed a turn one Hardened Scales into turn two Phantom Nomad into turn three Ordeal of Nylea, swing for five, get two lands. Phantom Nomad is an insane beating in the +1/+1 counter theme.

When I saw this list, I thought for a second you had drafted my cube! You run Observant Alseid as a 2 drop too?

Love the deck, lots of play.

Dom Harvey

Contributor

Count to Twenty

I'm not sure whether to Like this or step away slowly.

When I saw this list, I thought for a second you had drafted my cube! You run Observant Alseid as a 2 drop too?

Love the deck, lots of play.

Yup! I had some conversations with my usual playgroup about what sorts of things they enjoyed, after running a more traditional-style cube for a year. A lot of the things they preferred (limited removal, a focus on enchantments and a bit of "voltroning", more synergy and less power, a viable tempo deck) reminded me of your list, so I cooked up something based around that. :)

Didn't 3-0 with this or anything, but I did make this from a one-on-one grid draft against a buddy of mine. It was a pretty sweet Rakdos build:

Grenzo's Dungeon

He was playing a UW Controlly build with a slight black splash for Consuming Vapors and Lingering Souls. Play of the night was after a few turns of back-and-forth with me at 2 life and him at 12 life. I resolved the Chandra the previous turn but he's just dealt with my last flier and he's got a Celestial Colonnade ready to go on his next turn to deal lethal that I can't really deal with. I have a Grenzo, Dungeon Warden with 2 counters, a Blood Artist, and Chandra at 5 counters. I draw into a Magma Jet for the turn. I go for it:

Magma Jet him for 2 (10)
Scry Hellspark Elemental to the bottom, keep Smallpox on top
Use Grenzo's ability to flip the Elemental onto the field from the bottom
Attack with Grenzo and the Elemental for 7 (3)
Chandra for 0, flip the Smallpox
Smallpox resolves, we each take 1 (2)
Blood Artist trigger off saccing Grenzo (1)
EOT Hellspark dies, Blood Artist trigger (0)

VICTORY!

"I'm at twelve and I have a colonnade I couldn't possibly lose!"

What did you grid draft with? A regular 360 stack?

Whoops, not actually a grid draft (though it was an 8x8 grid), but it's called a quilt draft. I basically lay out an 8x8 with cards alternating with the short (top/bottom edge) and long ends (side) sticking out and you can only draft cards with a short end sticking out. We go until each of us has 18 from a given quilt (you can change the quilt to X x Y and these numbers though), scoop the rest that weren't drafted, set down a 2nd quilt to draft, and then we're on to deckbuilding.

It's a pretty way to play with just 2-4 players. If it's just one-on-one, I do it with all the cards facing up. If it's 3 or 4, then I like to keep every card except those with short edges sticking out face down.

EDIT: Here a crappy pic from my phone!

2014-10-15_09-58-33_484_zpsb0a1de02.jpg

I think you're making a big making a big mistake by not slotting Grenzo in at 5CMC for a smoother looking curve.

Yeah, that's sounds about right. I just listed him at whatever he ended up being cast for during this match, this is actually my first time using him in Cube. Most of the time, he's just there to pump out a bunch of aggro 2-power guys from the bottom of decks and most people just slot him in as another 2-drop beater. I was planning to go under the Control deck I was up against. He's so versatile though, great flavor.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor

RUG Deck

Skaab Ruinator was a total beast in this list and just stole games.

Jace very useful, more interesting then Architect and not numbingly overpowering like Mind Sculptor.

Nimbus Naiad and Swiftspear both sucked. The Naiad is basically filler and should probably leave. Swiftspear was just in the wrong deck, this list had too many creatures.

Goblin Sharpshooter did amazing work shutting down gravecrawler stuff.

In other matchups, Greater Gargadon was forced to fight stuffy doll twice in the same turn.

Gray Merchant was consistently hitting for 7.

Loosing to Grave Pact feels fair in a way loosing to attrition never did.