General Decks that have 3-0'd your cube

Yeah I was really considering the depths to help fix all my too many manasource problems but I think I took fixing and another man land instead. Faerie Conclave really rounded out my tarpit's planeswalker deathsquad. Eric was constantly reminding me I could attack planeswalkers to death. I was always sitting there looking at the bounce and counters in my hand with a frown on my face and eric would like look excitedly at me about how I had the game locked up. I really like how evasive creatures become an answer of their own in this age of planeswalkers.

RE: Bryan
He almost always had Ancestral visions in there with his Depths 1 landers. It was so hard to say no to that. He's a man that likes to live on the edge.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
In your defence, your hand was always something like Remand, Into the Roil, Cryptic Command, Ultimate Price. So many options! I get paralyzed playing control decks all the time, so now I just stick to attacking with 2/1's. For a while, I forgot that I could even comment on your games, cause I haven't done a team draft in a looooong time. It helped to have people who knew the makeup of my Modern list well on both sides, especially for getting advice on all of the tricky interactions.

I won't deny that I lost it every time you cast big daddy Cruel. Both hands up in the air and everything. Wouldn't be surprised if we got some stares from the other patrons.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
In your defence, your hand was always something like Remand, Into the Roil, Cryptic Command, Ultimate Price. So many options! I get paralyzed playing control decks all the time, so now I just stick to attacking with 2/1's. For a while, I forgot that I could even comment on your games, cause I haven't done a team draft in a looooong time. It helped to have people who knew the makeup of my Modern list well on both sides, especially for getting advice on all of the tricky interactions.

I won't deny that I lost it every time you cast big daddy Cruel. Both hands up in the air and everything. Wouldn't be surprised if we got some stares from the other patrons.

Other patrons? Did you guys play in a public space?

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, we played in a bubble tea shop in an Asian mall. They're one of the few places around here that's amenable to the idea of its patrons bringing in assorted boardgames on weeknights and stuff. None of the LGSs in the area are open late enough to accommodate a three-hour plus cube draft, and some of them are kinda dodgy to boot.

I hear stuff about people in the states cubing and drafting at lonely bars and taco bell or denny's all the time. Lots of bubble tea places have caught on that they like quiet people who will be there forever and feel obligated to buy stuff!

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I'm getting a draft together tomorrow in a kebab shop in Zurich. It's chilled place, they don't seem to mind. Every now and then we buy another burger or a cider or something, so it works out fine for them.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, by contrast our FLGS has an in-store bar and is open every day til like 3am. Finding a venue is never an issue around here.

CML

Contributor
3rd
cube_mike_junk_real.jpg

2nd
cube_uwr.jpg

1st
cube_rug.jpg

CML

Contributor
kind of a staple at this point. earned his spot in the starting rotation at least. the 2x cantrips as i posted elsewhere were also sweet

After months of drafting and not recording decklists, I have finally remembered to take pictures of winning decklists. Pictures were blurry and looked like crap, so I'm transcribing the lists:

URW Tempo/Control

This is from our first draft on friday. I was the only player playing red in a 4-players pod, so I got great cards like last pick Lightning Bolt on the third booster (P3P12; we play with 4 12-card booster packs). There were enough cards in the sideboard for converting the deck into a more beatdown strategy, but the deck was consistent enough as it was and never got into a position that a change in strategy was necessary.

Esper Control

Yeah, on a second thought, it makes sense calling it Esper Ramp. Though I don't think it was played as an actual ramp deck. The pilot seemed to be ever so cautious about his plays. Maybe he never had a starter with either ramp artifacts.

Did Kozilek ever get cast? It seems there aren't enough sweepers or blockers to live long enough to get him out there, with only Mana Vault and Grim Monolith to accelerate.

Oh, and I recently pulled both of those artifacts from my cube, and the VERY NEXT DRAFT Kozilek hit the board about five times. Hurray for unintended effects!

Kozilek did actually hit the board when I was playing against that deck. Lucky for me I had Swords to Plowshares to make it go away at the end step. What did actually won some games for the deck was the interaction of Sun Titan and Phantasmal Image (along with Volrath's Stronghold that kept titan coming back every time).

Mana Vault and Grim Monolith are kind of in a weird spot in my cube, as players let them table and pick them very late. There is also Mana Crypt here and people are wary of it since one match where the player lost game one after taking 12 damage from it against an aggro deck.

CML

Contributor
Crypt seems like it has scope to be sweet in Cube, the damage can be a lot if you can't find a way to get rid of it.

The other cards probably should not be passed ever