General Decks that have 3-0'd your cube

CML

Contributor
Today we did something a bit different -- team-draft (familiar to the Waddell crowd), though this time based on geographic things. The suburbanites were forced to come out of their hidey-hole and play in SEATTLE ITSELF, which is not something Wizards will make you do at GPs maybe ever again.

4-0:

4-0:

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
This draft was a train wreck for me but somehow I went 2 - 1, only losing to Hannes. High point included getting my opponent to 4, only for him to go Lone Missionary, Kor Skyfisher, Lone Missionary to go to 12. I have one card in hand and say "fuck it" and point an 8-point Red Sun's Zenith at his dome, then rip a Psionic Blast off the top for my next draw. Skill game.

Bad RUG BUG (2 - 1)

My favorite deck to draft went 2-0, as our drafting location closed before round 3

PesterKiki (2-0)

Sweet, the ice age lands came up!
Key sideboard cards of note
Engineered Explosives

Round 1 against Bant midrange (2-1)
I combo'd for both of the wins here. My opponent had the combo stopper in Mouth of Ronom in play, while I had Zealous Conscripts in play, but instead played a Green Sun's Zenith for a Tarmogoyf. Also looking at a 5/5 Knight of the Reliquary on turn 4 was rough.

Round 2 against Boros (2-1)
Once again combo'd off for both wins. Had to lose Aetherling in combat so I could live to see another turn. Had a level 2 Figure of Destiny, Stromkirk Noble, and Legion Loyalist swinging at me all at once. Pyroclasm and Ratchet Bomb were key here, as was the Engineered Explosives out of the board.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
It didn't look that bad on the table, I swear! But on these forums... yeah. Yeesh.

Cards that performed way over expectation

Cards that kind of stunk

Cards I'm banning

CML

Contributor
Blossom is nothing too great in my Cube, it's not like you have 4x Spellstutter and Mistbind, weird.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes Bitterblossom is super slow and makes you feel bad for playing it. It's no Lingering Souls, that's for sure. But then again you don't run LS so maybe things are different.

CML

Contributor
Now that I've banned all three of Lingering Souls, Spectral Procession, and Grave Titan, the B/W "Glut the Entire Damn Board" Tokens deck is dead. So Orzhov kind of needs a new archetype to encourage people to dive into it here. Any ideas?

Boy I'm glad you asked, without extra motivation I would never post my own cube decks. BW is hilarious to read about since half the designers feel it needs nerfing and half feel it's irredeemably awful.

On that topic! I have a riddle for y'all. Sort the decks in the order of their finishes! Who had the best debut ... Jace, the Mind Sculptor, Batterskull, or RIPTIDE LABORATORY itself?

Wb D&T

Wb Death and Taxes

Team America

Team America

The Rach 3

The Rach 3

Zoo

Zoo

UWR Durdle-Twin

UWR Durdle-Twin

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
You run double Snappy Snaps? Did that deck ever Venser soft-lock? Venser + Kiki got me excited until I realized it was a nonbo.

CML

Contributor
I'm trying the 2x Snaps. I think it might be a little much.

Venser + Kiki is pretty good under the new legend rules (though I had to step back from how I thought it should work to see that)

CML

Contributor
but what if

154.jpg

CML

Contributor
Going forward I dunno if I want to include the Pods, 3 did seem like the right number and the effect seemed fun and fair but god was it hard to draft it well enough to have constructive pod chains.

X-1

Reanimator

X-1

UW Control

Meh

4c Pod