General Decks that have 3-0'd your cube

CML

Contributor
Today's undisputed winner

Naya

There was also a nice Cruel control deck. Everyone go and put Cruel in your Cubes right now. Are there any other control finishers nearly as sweet?

There was also a nice Cruel control deck. Everyone go and put Cruel in your Cubes right now. Are there any other control finishers nearly as sweet?
I've been hesitant because I didn't expect that people would be able to pay for how color-heavy it is, but has it been fine for you?

Today's undisputed winner

Naya

I would only like this deck more if it had 2 more fetchlands.

CML

Contributor
"Knight as Palladium Myr; Catching Opponents off-guard with Batterskull's little-known equip ability: The Robert Hunsaker story"

cruel was a fun one for one of our drafters to build around, the color requirement isn't too tough when the winning deck above is considered a 'bad' manabase. crueling people is way sweeter than casting sphinx's rev.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I have always loved Cruel Ultimatum so much. I draft it as often as possible and never think about cutting it. If it's not performing well, it's the rest of the cube that's wrong.

edit: and anyway that's never happened. It's awesome.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
While it is a 3 color card, and all the baggage that comes along with that (sometimes your control player is in esper. Sadface) it's one of the few I think thats worth including even then.

CML

Contributor
i drafted straight ub (grave titan, coalition relic p1p1, p1p2) so we were all up in each other's shit. neither deck was great -- the cruel deck did far better against the above naya -- but the control mirror was pretty easy with glaciers, tar pit, tec edge, spell pierce, real mana, cryptic etc.

what are some other fun control finishers in the vein of cruel? i think cruel might be unique in the game's history as 'control finisher that isn't a bitch-ass card.'

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Well, it's still a creature, sorry, but Maelstrom Wanderer is also excellent fun as a control finisher. I suppose it's only really 1/3 definitely a creature. Otherwise I can't think of any big spells as cool as ultimatum.

i drafted straight ub (grave titan, coalition relic p1p1, p1p2) so we were all up in each other's shit. neither deck was great -- the cruel deck did far better against the above naya -- but the control mirror was pretty easy with glaciers, tar pit, tec edge, spell pierce, real mana, cryptic etc.

what are some other fun control finishers in the vein of cruel? i think cruel might be unique in the game's history as 'control finisher that isn't a bitch-ass card.'

Right now only creature fireballs like Decree of Justice and flashback cards like Increasing Confusion come to mind. I really Dig stuff like Grizzly Fate and Hunting Pack too if you have control decks playing lots of green. There was a while (Kamigawa block) I had my friends convinced Genjus and Tetsumasa were fine wrath proof control wins. There are lots of better Rock-Men now though.

Hoofprints of the stag? Urza's land that makes guys? any number of centaur glade alternatives? Invoke the firemind (yuck)?

I realized by playing Eric's Cube that I am a Cruel Ultimatum person. I always thought of myself as more of a Memory Lapse or Eternal Witness sorta guy.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I used to have Nicol Bolas in my cube, because I was a reasonable person and I thought that was a reasonable finisher with reasonable mana requirements. It took about three games of watching people cast Nicol Bolas only to immediately lose on the next turn to make me realize that he wasn't cutting the mustard.

So a few months ago, I said "Ah, what the hell", and tossed in Cruel on a whim. To be sure, it still gets last picked a lot. But the times that people draft it early, and build a deck around it? Well, well worth it.

It's totally not a card anymore, likely never was, but it was a pretty reasonable control finisher. There are probably a wealth of cards that do this better now, but you know my knowledge of cards isn't really all that current.

270.jpg

Takes me back to when I played my Celestial Kirin + Shining Shoal + Genju of the Fields + Cloudposts deck. 1-of in my sideboard, wooooo daddy. Man did celestial kirin ever kill a lot of swords, witnesses, troll ascetics, viridian shamans, paladins, shackles and crystal shard. Altars Light was just not hard enough against tooth and nail so I ended up switching to Footsteps of the Goryo style reanimator.

CML

Contributor
tatsumasa actually sees a lot of play these days

130.jpg

nicky b is a fun suggestion, i'm gonna putter around and see if i cant find something else for this thread. sphinxing is so boring

Is Revelation a win condition? The people I first cubed with would always refer to opportunity as "I win the game", so I guess that sorta makes sense.
I kinda like Tolarian Ruins and it's ilk as win conditions. I've also killed a lot of people with epochrasite + man land. I think I fall back on that kind of deck when I'm not feeling inspired in cube. Actually seeing epochrasite tends to inspire me.

We had a Gravecrawler/Reassembling Skeleton/Attrition/Blood Artist/Skullclamp deck 3-0 yesterday. I was on Mono-Red and didn't have a chance against it in the finals. Though I did steal a win against what was basically a U/R Splinter Twin deck round 2 when he thought it was safe to tap out with 13 life against an empty board.

Also overheard last night:
G/W Ramp Player: "I'll Birthing Pod my Eternal Dragon into Terstadon!"
Opponent: "Thank god that's not going to work, they're both 7 CMC"
Ramp Player: "Oh, let's see what I have then... Craterhoof I guess?"
Opponent: "Seriously?"

So all my lessons about Big Red last night were essentially stuff I already knew. You'll probably be relying on artifact mana, buying extra time with tempo disruption is really helpful to getting to your high impact fatties, for some reason you probably want to play 3 colours whenever you are playing thundermaws.

Other things:
- It's nice to draw cards : (
- Don't pass all the blue cards : (
- Rishidan Port is just wonderful with Shrine of Burning Rage or Bitterblossom
- Staggershock is a card that continues to impress me. What was that card like in constructed?
- Thoughtseize is often stealthily the best card in your deck.

Went 4-1! You wont believe the deck that beat me! Glad I didn't have to work till 3 today!

41 Card Dega Midranged

My Nemesis:

41 Card Dega Midranged

The mana base was better than mine (hmph!) Apparently he also only dropped a match vs suicide black (We found out they had 2 Liliana Veil in by accident) and besides that only dropped a game against WWu and pretty much lost all of 3 game in 5 matches. The only sweet mana drains I'd ever see is Mana Drain > Draw spell > Cryptic Command Mana still up.

My Play of the day: Holding down a turn 2 Elspeth Knight Errant with a turn 2 flashback'd Lingering Souls.
The Play of the Day: I think it was all the sweet Stifles. Hitting Garruk Primal Hunter's minus ability was pretty sweet. I'm pretty sure at least 2 fetch lands were hit too.