[Design/Construction] Lets build the Scuttlemutt Cube!

Laz

Developer
Scuttlemutt Cube on CubeTutor.com

Running tallies:

Progenitus hardcast - 0
Progenitus cheated into play - 0
Azor's Elocutors filibuster victory - 1

This cube is exploring the design space that is colour in Magic, and focusing upon a highly synergistic environment instead of simple power-maximisation. It is heavily inspired by Jason Waddell's Eldrazi Domain cube.

There are a number of overlapping themes throughout the cube, although a lot of it boils down to colours and counters. Colour is a space that has been quite heavily explored in Magic's history, although always sporadically, here is an attempt to bring much of that exploration, from places such as Shadowmoor, Ravnica, and Alara together. Likewise, counters have been omnipresent through Magic's history, and so there has been a conscious effort to take counter manipulation and place it front and centre as a value mechanism in the cube.

In emphasising colours, reliance upon controlling cards of other colours is a primary concern. A number of cards include text to the effect of 'if you control a <black/green/multi-coloured/etc> permanent' features fairly regularly. In order to enable this without necessitating incredibly stretched mana-bases, the cube features a huge number of cards with hybrid mana costs. These hybrid cards also serve to increase the number of 'practical playables' in each colour. Where most 360 card cubes tend to have ~47 cards that are playable with any particular colour, this cube has ~57 cards that are playable with a single colour, though, naturally not without competition from the colours which they share. While it may be too early to claim yet, hybrids seem to be one of the design triumphs of the cube, adding competition in the drafting phase, reducing the strain on mana-bases, and increasing the number of cards available to any particular drafter, no matter the colours they are in, as well as supporting other colour-aware themes, such as multi-coloured aggro; devotion; and colour-matters.

Another aspect of colour emphasis is through domain. Domain is based in Blue, but branches out to other colours, most notably Red, for Tribal Flames. Domain is mostly a control-oriented mechanic, with the rewards tending towards card draw and selection, as well as counter-magic. Other domain cards will tend towards acting as reach for more aggressively oriented decks, which, due to the nature of the cube, will almost certainly have more than 2 types of basic lands. Tribal Flames and Tromp the Domains fall into these categories.

Making multi-colour aggro work is a challenge that tends to be handled poorly in more typical cubes. This cube attempts to tackle the problem through not only a high density of hybrid cards, but also through the use of the Alara 'shard'-blades, who are excellent 2-drop aggressive creatures in concert with the high number of hybrid cards which act to satisfy the 'another multicoloured permanent' requirement. Civic Saber also plays wonderfully with the tri-colour 'shard'-blades.

Other minor colour themes are devotion, which is emphasised in Black, but present in the other colours, which is transformed from a mono-coloured mechanic to one that can span colours via hybrid mana. There is a small 'white-matters' theme, with cards such as Honor of the Pure putting emphasis upon creatures being white. Again, hybrid mana is an excellent enabler here.

Hybrid mana inevitably leads to a heavy Shadowmoor/Eventide influence in the Cube. In these sets there was an interesting -1/-1 counter theme, through both Wither and Persist. These are interesting mechanics because they can be augmented by manipulating the counters once they have been applied. Creatures afflicted by 'Wither-ing' can be killed through effects which add counters, like Proliferate, while Persisted creatures can be re-invigorated by removing the -1/-1 counter somehow.

Manipulation of counters is a central theme in this cube, from the value interactions listed above, through Proliferating Vivid land counters, to utilising Ion Storm to ping the opponent to death.

Errata'ed Cards in the Cube
Iridescent%20Meadow.png

Vivid Lands now have a basic land type. This makes them fetchable, and count towards Domain.

2ManaScuttle.png

Scuttlemutt is now a 2-mana 1/2, as opposed to a 3-mana 2/2. This brings him online faster.

Tangle%20Wire.png

Tangle Wire now has Vanishing 4 instead of Fading 4. These are slightly different mechanics, but given how Tangle Wire works, are indistinguishable in virtually every situation. Vanishing is more consistent with the rest of the Cube.

Naya%20Bladebrothers.png

Naya Hushblade now has Trample instead of Shroud. Shroud is a terrifyingly un-interactive mechanic and I dislike it. I mean, it is no Hexproof, but...

Gemstone Mine now uses charge counters, as opposed to mining counters. This makes it work with Ion Storm, and is more consistent with the Vivid lands above, and Tendo Ice Bridge.

Evolving Wilds is now a basics fetch-land. i.e {T}, sac, pay 1 life: Put a basic land card into play.
Lands not entering tapped is pretty important.

Jolting Merfolk has Vanishing 5 instead of Fading 4, for consistency. I am not too worried about that one extra thing that might be tapped if you choose to play the card as a Gridlock...

Custom Cards in the Cube
Thoughtcrime.png

Listed as Thoughtsieze in the Cube Tutor List

Shifting%20Stones2.png

Listed as Power Conduit in the Cube Tutor List.
______________________________________________​
Original Post:​
Now... I know I want this card to be good, and some people think it is fruitless, but I think it is possible to construct an environment in which colour is central design element. Many of my thoughts on this are expressed here, but as for the environment as a whole: (Excuse my brain-dump)

High density of Hybrid mana cards.
I can see a problem pretty early here. There are not exactly a wealth of awesome hybrid cards. We will see how far we can get before custom cards come into play, but I suspect that it won't be very far. Standard lately has taught us that Hybrid plays really well with Devotion, so this could be a theme. I kind of want to do a riff on the mono-black archetype that every non-riptide cube seems to have, emphasising Black devotion, except using hybrid Black cards to produce competing demand for that otherwise unplayable BBBB card (yes, I am looking at you Phyrexian Obliterator).

Make colour dependent removal good. (Deathmark,Glare of Heresy, etc)
I think that this requires a large number of factors to all fall into place in order to be a viable thing that drafters are looking to do. I suspect that increasing the density of targets artificially through emphasizing hybrid-cards and gold cards is useful, but that still doesn't make these cards main-deckable. Another factor in enhancing these highly conditional removal spells could be lowering the overall removal quality in the cube. Have instant-speed removal cost 3-4 mana, and run a lot of sorcery speed removal. This has the bonus of making Auras/combat tricks viable.

Focus the colour-changing in Blue/White
These are the only colours that seem to have good colour changers (full list). Cloudchaser Kestrel, Eight-and-a-Half-Tails, Govern the Guildless, and Blind Seer. Alongside Scuttles of course.

Benefits to creatures having certain colours/multiple colours
Cycle of Lieges, Civic Sabre, Eventide/Shadowmoor 'if creature is xxx ... , if creature is yyy ... ' Auras. This plays nicely with high hybrid/gold density as these a genuine value creatures, plus it makes colour changing an effective offensive and defensive play. Radiance keyword from Ravnica is also cool. Jason made a point about playing with protections.

General multi-colour goodies.
I am sure CML can, from the top of his head, give me a comprehensive list of awesome and stupid cards dependent upon multiple colours. Bloom Tender is one of the only ones I can think of off the top of my (admittedly less well researched) head.

More Archetypes?!
There is so much to consider for colours, thinking about other archetypes is hard...
Counter Manipulation - Emphasising charge-counter artifacts and -1/-1 counters, I had +1/+1 counters as a theme in my cube for a while, it was boring. This seems much more interesting. Probably spans BUG, although Black might be about removing counters from things (Persist creatures? Custom Thrull Parasite/Vampire Hexmage, etc to target suspended cards?) Plays nicely with Wither...
This crosses over with multi-colour through the Shrines (Loyal Legions, Burning Rage)
Domain - Duh. Although I am not sure which colours should emphasis this. Domain being a 5 colour keyword doesn't tie to individual colours very easily.

... Help?

I am reaching out to you guys here, hoping that you can think of some interesting interactions which play nicely with some of the types of cards which I have discussed here. Or if not that, then cool cards which you think are awesome and should be worked in somehow. Those are awesome too.

CML

Contributor
INVASION BLOCK TOO. a little alara and original rav ... some amount of sunburst. a lot of fixing. devotion? glamerdye?

charmed pendant is a sweet card, i wonder how it works with hybrid

we might wanna make scuttlemutt a 1/2 for 2 per CT's suggestion

Laz

Developer
I like the concept of Glamerdye, but I don't know what to do with it. Maybe put one copy in and hope my drafters are smarter than I am? I like big-brother Glamerdye, Swirl the Mists too.

I don't know if I want to change Scuttles... but I will hold that as a possibility.

I was thinking about a Naya Domain aggro theme, with Nacatls, Lions and Apes. My concern is that these 1-drops are a bit of a non-bo with the Shard-blades, which I like and have heaps of colours for things that care about that (Knight of New Alara, Civic Sabre).
Having both domain-based aggro and colour-based aggro also seems like it could be a trap to drafters, as the difficulty in combining 1-drops dependent upon land types with 2-drops which need other multi-coloured permanents is no where near as obvious as 'This card is RED. This cards is WHITE'.

Well, I suppose I have to start somewhere. Assuming this will be a 360 card cube, how does the following set of lands sound?
ABU Duals
Shocklands
2x Fetches
2x Modified Evolving Wilds (Got the Fetch treatment. Pay 1 life, land comes in untapped)
Transguild Promenade
Rupture Spire
Crystal Quarry (Who knows? Maybe this will be awesome?)
Set of Alara tri-lands

This works out to 50 lands, which sounds about right, but I could see myself going a tiny bit higher (I just went up to 56 lands in my regular cube, and no issues thus far, except the occasional fail to find basic, but that is only in long games with decks with no win conditions outside of Faerie Conclave)
Maybe Filter Lands?
Or perhaps Wastes? I think that mana-bases will likely end up held together with string, so I (because I hate fun) love the concept of being able to disrupt them.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if I want to change Scuttles... but I will hold that as a possibility.

I was thinking about a Naya Domain aggro theme, with Nacatls, Lions and Apes. My concern is that these 1-drops are a bit of a non-bo with the Shard-blades, which I like and have heaps of colours for things that care about that (Knight of New Alara, Civic Sabre).
Having both domain-based aggro and colour-based aggro also seems like it could be a trap to drafters, as the difficulty in combining 1-drops dependent upon land types with 2-drops which need other multi-coloured permanents is no where near as obvious as 'This card is RED. This cards is WHITE'.

I would suggest taking a look at what I did with aggro in the Eldrazi Domain cube.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
With a high hybid/gold count, I am actually curious as to which will end up with more targets...

You'd have to have a nearly 100% two-color hybrid saturation before they crossed. At full hybrids, Deathmark hits 70% of targets and Doom Blade hits 60% of targets (assuming equal color distribution). But being "too hybrid" was one of the admitted mistakes of the Lorwyn blocks so I don't know that that's the direction you want to take.

Aside from that it's a weighted average. Doom Blade hits 80% of monocolor creatures and Deathmark hits 40%. But you also have to consider deck construction and color dependencies. Deathmark is far more often just a "dead" card in most reasonable environments.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Also I'd find it really difficult to justify something even more narrow than Deathmark, say, Glare of Heresy.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
You gave Scuttles clothes! Scuttles is FREEEEE!

Edit: For the archeologists that discover this with an updated image, Chris provided a Scuttlemutt without a mana cost...

Kids, don't drink and design :p

Here's the updated image, and I think it should keep the other one in the library for archeology purposes:
Scuttlenaut-1.jpg

Also, I deffinitly fall on the doom blade side of things than the deathmark side. In fact, maybe we want a cycle?

I also had a custom doom blade named drown which was nonblue at one point (Can't find it anymore)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
OOOOOO That seems awesome :D
I like that it works with mutt because it's a rampy card, but it's kinda sad that all scuttles does is make himself green :p

Laz

Developer
Also, I deffinitly fall on the doom blade side of things than the deathmark side. In fact, maybe we want a cycle?
Doom Blade
Soul Reap
I also had a custom doom blade named drown which was nonblue at one point (Can't find it anymore)

I am starting to fall on that side too. Good work convincing me guys. Scuttlemutt and the rest of the crew can be used defensively, while eliminating perceived dead cards from the draft pool.

Thanks for the rest of the card suggestions guys, I will try to throw up some more design around ideas later.

Laz

Developer
Alright, lets build out a multi-colour matters aggro section. I presume that this will be in Naya colors (although this will end up touching Black, I am not too worried about that at the moment).
This section will be headlined by the Alara shard-blades, and I have a hunch that this girl will be an important player. Lets start with 2-3 of them.
Now, which Shard-blades can be cast from RG? Jund Hackblade and Naya Hushblade. Hackblade is awesome. Hushblade less so. Shroud is boring. Lets make that trample and add a pair of each of them. Bant Sureblade is also in Naya colours, so lets put one of these in too.

Now, for the natural curving, we need a certain density of hybrid 1-drops. Since we are looking at Naya aggro at the moment, lets start there. Dryad Militant and Figure of Destiny are awesome, Tattermunge Maniac is not of the same level of awesomeness. We can leave it in there for now, although maybe it should lose the must attack line? Black will also add Rakdos Cackler and Deathrite Shaman which help to get the shard-blades going.

Jason had the good idea of using colour matters cards like Clout of the Dominus. These work especially well with the Alara shard-blades. Unfortunately most of the rest of that cycle is costed far too expensively. Perhaps we need a cycle of 1 mana cost ones. Probably not all 10, but probably those in non-blue colours. If 1 mana doesn't give enough design space, then 2 is probably ok too.
Something like:
{R/W} - Red: +1/+1 and haste. White: +1/+1 and first strike.
{W/G} - White: +1/+1 and vigilance. Green: +2/+1
{R/G} - Red: +1/+1 and haste. Green: +1/+1 and has {1}{R/G}: Regenerate enchanted creature.
Then a couple for Black.

I am not sure what sits at the 3 drop for this section, but Knight of New Alara probably tops this curve, giving a huge buff to these other creatures.

So this small package looks like this:

In addition a couple of these:
Naya%20Bladebrothers.png

As well as some of the enchantments from above, once I work out exactly what those should be.

Laz

Developer

I read somewhere that doubling on those was awesome... Plus, they do fit well with multiple archetypes here.

I don't know how gold I want to go. While Knight of New Alara loves 3 colour cards, how good does fixing need to be before a cycle of GWx cards become viable? I am assuming this would be something like Woolly Thoctar, Rhox War Monk and maybe a custom GWB card (Doran is probably unsuitable).

There is definitely a plan to include the nice SHM/EVE hybrids (Don't forget RTR block added some sweet new ones. Ok, also some bad ones...)

Laz

Developer
Ok, I realise that it might have been a mistake to leave out the Black cards when looking at multi-colour aggro before. Hybrid mana costs can hide a lot of sins.
Lets bulk out that aggro section now (with black, and creatures with >2 CMC):

The Hushblades are just shown for curve considerations. They are the ones above, which have trample.

This still has some holes, and I don't know if I want more of the Liege cycle. Hybrid black cards are important because I want to have a soft Black devotion theme, while still keeping those cards desirable to others in the drafting process, but Creakwood Liege just looks like it would gum up the ground and not be fun at all. A lot of the hybrid black cards are a bit iffy, for instance, I am not sure if Rakdos Shred-Freak is where I want to be.

Crazy idea... Mimics. Too deep? I think it is too deep.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Uh, I don't know how deep you want to go, but this guy was pretty cool in my Burning-Tree / Spawn token cube:

Laz

Developer
I am not sure how many mana-producing creatures I am likely to be looking at. While playing multiple Burning-Trees into Superion seems insane, I am not sure how consistently Superion could be played, or in which other types of decks. Sure, Scuttlemutt casts it, but how much more competing demand do I need for that card?

I assumed that most of the ramp would be land based, since that supports Domain better.

Laz

Developer
What can we do with different counters? What can we do with different counters? What can we do with different counters early in the morning?

I thought that counter manipulation might be a fun idea, but just adding more and more +1/+1 counters is boring (plus, I had that as a theme in my main cube, and it just never seemed to come together). What fun types of counters exist?
  • Charge counters
  • Time Counters
  • Fungus Counters??? (Abort! Too deep!)
  • -1/-1 counters (ok, these are boring... but they help to prevent the mechanic from being too gimmicky)
A quick look for interesting cards which are reliant upon these counters yields the following:
Charge counters:

Vivid lands as well.
Some of these look interesting to manipulate, although Golem Foundry might be stretching it a little. Lux Cannon looks like an interesting card for a control deck, but is likely way too slow without a combo with something like Vorel of the Hull Clade. The Shrines seem like a good cross over with the multi-colour focus of the rest of the Cube, since things may be incidentally Red or White.

Time counters:
Time counters break down into two types, Vanishing and Suspend. I don't want to include Fading, because having both Fading and Vanishing in the same environment seems like it is asking for trouble...
Vanishing:

I quite like these, some of them you want to add counters to have them stick around for longer, others you want to remove counters from in order to get the benefits of them dying with no counters on them. Seems like it could be interesting.

Suspend:

There are plenty of cards which are fine that have suspend (Riftwing Cloudskate, Durkwood Baloth, Ivory Giant, etc). These two seem to create interesting game-states though. It seems that I could go as far as I want with the suspend cards without even looking at the 'really-powerful-can-only-be-suspended' cycle (which also create fun mini-games in the case of Living End, Restore Balance and Wheel of Fate; and don't create any sort of interesting mini-game in the case of Ancestral Vision or Lotus Bloom)

-1/-1 Counters:
It doesn't make a lot of sense to put a block of cards for this, instead just keep in mind that it plays well with counter manipulation. Adding a bit of Wither, Persist, Contagion Clasp style cards, etc.

Note: Sunburst plays well with counter manipulation and domain. Pity there are not that many decent Sunburst cards...