[Design/Construction] Lets build the Scuttlemutt Cube!

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I don't think I've contributed to this thread at all, but I just wanted to say you guys are doing some hard work down here, and it looks amazing. Keep going!

Laz

Developer
Shame scuttles can't change the color of non permanents :p

For everything else, there is Painter's Servant!

Welcome to the thread James, and thanks for the suggestion. All Sun's Dawn, straight in!

I was having a lot of trouble with finishers. I realised my mistake just yesterday, I was fixating on mono-coloured cards, which I suspect is a product of thinking normal-cube thoughts.

Obviously there isn't enough room for all of the triple-colour Dragons, but I am a little attached to Oros, to complement the 'being white matters' mini-theme (probably over Crovax, Ascendant Hero). I like the Invasion 'choose a color' dynamic, but there is not enough space for too many I don't think. So, who is the coolest dragon?

Laz

Developer
Everything is starting to become a little bit real... I just sat and prepared this wave of custom cards.
proxies.png

I also ordered ten of these, for reasons hopefully self explanatory (these were actually really hard to find, especially with reasonable shipping to Australia. For some reason, paying US$60 for shipping of a half dozen dice just didn't seem wonderful.)
negdice.png

Starting to get exciting...

I also ordered ten of these, for reasons hopefully self explanatory (these were actually really hard to find, especially with reasonable shipping to Australia. For some reason, paying US$60 for shipping of a half dozen dice just didn't seem wonderful.)
negdice.png

I've been looking for negative dice! Where did you find them?

Laz

Developer
You should bring these to the first RipLab meetup.

While it is said that the internet is bringing us all closer together, I suspect that the implication is an intellectual closeness, not a physical one. Australia is just as far from Antwerp as ever. Unless you guys are planning 'The Jason & Eric Whistle-stop World-wide Cube Tour!'

Troelslmunk, I understand your issues looking for them, they were indeed hard to find. I was looking at maths sets, which contained negative, positive and operator dice, but then I found negative dice here.

Ok, so finishers!

I am going to go with Jonas's suggestion here, since they were the ones I had my eyes on too.

Now, lets do the quick colour count...
{B}{B}{R}, {W}{B}{R}, {R}{G}{W}, {B}{R}{G}
Red and Black seem pretty well represented, and Blue seems very absent, so we probably need some cards to rectify this.

These had different rationale behind them. Prime Speaker Zegana and Sphinx of Magosi play similar roles, playing nicely with counters and drawing cards. Both are pretty colour intensive, which might be a problem, but I imagine the 4-5c decks will have plenty of other finishers available to them. Regal Force harks back to the first page of this thread, and seems to work pretty nicely, caring about creature colour.
These are joined by the big finishers which were already added, in Eternal Dragon, Abhorrent Overlord, the Bringers (Blue, Green) and the WURBG cards. There are also a few Suspend cards which serve to end the game pretty well. Maybe I need 1 more biggish white card though?

Laz

Developer
Ok, we can leave Crovax for now...

Since BNG is now on CubeTutor, I have been thinking about adding a cycle of Heroic guys, since between the Auras, double-strike pump-spells, etc, a critical mass of 'target creature' spells is being assembled which makes this less poisonous.
At this stage, I am thinking:

On a slightly more poisonous line, in the mindset of supporting Heroic, what thoughts are there on the Wisps cycle?

They seem... bad, but in my mind I am defending them with the short sharp cry of 'But they cantrip!'

Am I going down a stupid path? Is this all too poisonous?

Laz

Developer
I have this hunch that the Wisps will end up being 23rd cards in most decks. They are cards which are 'just-fine' but nothing special. Generally cards which just limp in like that are on my potential cuts list. A lot can be forgiven for a card that replaces itself, but they will probably be on my 'are they doing anything?' list, instead of my 'is anyone playing this?' list.

I am getting towards a solid number of enchantments, so perhaps that is a sub-theme that could be explored?

None of the typical enchantments like O. Ring and the like are in the cube though, so this may be a little under supported.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it's possible that you may be starting to try to push too many themes concurrently if you push for Enchantments matters on top of all that other stuff.

Laz

Developer
Yeah, it's possible that you may be starting to try to push too many themes concurrently if you push for Enchantments matters on top of all that other stuff.

True that. I just want some direction on how to fill out the remaining cards, but I suppose generic good cards are nice too...

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
True that. I just want some direction on how to fill out the remaining cards, but I suppose generic good cards are nice too...

Yeah, generic context-independent cards are the paste that hold the set together. Just make sure they don't outshine your themes.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I feel like heroic, double strike and the enchantments matters might have enough overlap, but it's probably better to play it safe.

my initial impression for enchantments matters is that it might be a decent way to bring the enchantment thing to control, since 3 mana horrible body value creatures aren't usually aggro fair.

Lands are hard.

So I basically got an early tromp and decided to go on the tribal flames/domain plan. I picked a lot of fixing that I probably don't need quite that much of, especially since that exploding borders will probably miss due to lack of types of basic land. It's 15 lands, but including wasteland so more like 14, so my colour balance is probably out.

Drafting, I felt like it was actually better to pick lands than gas, unless I saw something that helped me on a base green/red aggro domain plan. This might not be true of other archetypes, but it felt a little weird.

E: Also its somewhat fatiguing to draft, so I can't amp myself up to draft again right now

Laz

Developer
Lands are hard.

So I basically got an early tromp and decided to go on the tribal flames/domain plan. I picked a lot of fixing that I probably don't need quite that much of, especially since that exploding borders will probably miss due to lack of types of basic land. It's 15 lands, but including wasteland so more like 14, so my colour balance is probably out.

Drafting, I felt like it was actually better to pick lands than gas, unless I saw something that helped me on a base green/red aggro domain plan. This might not be true of other archetypes, but it felt a little weird.

E: Also its somewhat fatiguing to draft, so I can't amp myself up to draft again right now

I had much the same experience as you. Lands are hard. I prioritised them too low on my first draft, and my multi-colour aggro deck ended up with shocking mana.

I also agree with it being fatiguing. I suspect part of this is an aspect of cubetutor drafting, since I notice I take a lot less time considering picks, and don't get a break between picks/packs, which makes me less considering. On the other hand, I feel a major part of the fatigue is that this cube lacks the clear delineation that allows you to simply disregard many of the cards from a pack. Since you are routinely in 3+ colours, you can't simply disregard picks on colour, and since there is very high competing demand for a lot of cards, it is hard to disregard cards on archetypes either. This means you are forced to examine a much larger number of cards in each pack than you otherwise would, which contributes to the sensation of mental fatigue.

I went heavily for the fixing, and ended up with what looks like a somewhat decent Bant aggro deck. I tried to wheel the mutts, but that was hard :p