General Fight Club

I meant this as a sort of, which 1s do you go with and why, since it's kinda the building blocks of many decks and indicative of your format it's sorta a fight club thing.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
The number of times I've won a game because someone used 3 mana ajani on their vorapede and I could trade 2 of my creatures for it instead of 4-5 of my creatures is too damn high

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Laz

Developer
My vote goes to the snake. Least demanding mana cost, and unlike Mystic Genesis, can just be played as a dude if you need one. Also in a super-edge-case, it is able to be flickered.

Icy and gix can keep you alive a lot longer then tumble magnet, but people have been heaping a lot of love over it, so I don't know.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, that was my problem as well. I currently run Icy and Tumble Magnet, and the Magnet is very strong because it is cheaper to cast and free to use. Sure it's limited to three activations (unless you proliferate or rebut it with bounce), but how many activations do you really need to either stabilize (as control/midrange) or push enough damage through (as aggro/midrange)?

I'm also happy to run two of these effects, and up until now I didn't own a copy of the Ring, so the choice was easy. I managed to pick one up as an extra for €0,20 today though, so now I'm wondering which one to play :)

oh i hadn't even considered that
hmmmm
i really really really like both
like seriously those are 2 of my favorite cards

Now here's a challenging one. On one hand, we have a 6/6 trampler that can not only do a decent impression of Frontline Medic, but can also serve as an anti-wrath even if it isn't in play. On the other hand, we have a dude who can't be blocked and MOST of the time, will only need to actually hit twice before you win. They're both pretty powerful and demand near-immediate answers. If you are looking for the more powerful one, I think it depends on what you want to support. Michael Bay's Elesh Norn encourages a more aggressive plan since it's protecting all the dudes you played before it. Throw in some discard or graveyard shenanigans and it becomes very apparent that this thing will be amazing in any deck turning more than one dude sideways each turn. Scuttling Doom Engine comes off as more of a stand alone guy. He offers a lot less interesting interactions and while both dudes could be amazing control finishers as well as aggro curve toppers, the Doom Engine doesn't feel like it is encouraging a player to play aggro as much as MB'S EN. But if you run a cube that has a heroic/enchantment theme, then Doom Engine DOES encourage other players to "build a better creature" so they can strip the Doom Engine of its ability to avoid blockers.

Overall, I guess it comes down to what you want to support. If you're cube has a theme of using the graveyard at all and you want to push players to play aggro, I'd say go with the Phyrexian beast by Bay. If you have a cube where enchantments and auras matter, then maybe the Doom Engine. If you have a sacrifice theme, either is good at dying but killing your own bomb shouldn't come up that often. In my personal opinion I like the Soul better most of the time. It all comes down to what you want at the end of the day, though.