General Fight Club

Laz

Developer
I have a fight that needs adjudicating:
vs.

Which is better at reviving threads(/threats)?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
vs.

Obviously the Doomed Necromancer. He's got "Necro" right in the card name, and he can do it any time he wants instead of only during the upkeep! Also, he's cheaper!

CML

Contributor
anyone flusterstorm in cube? the card is ridiculously powerful in old formats but eh we all attack with dudes here.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
anyone flusterstorm in cube? the card is ridiculously powerful in old formats but eh we all attack with dudes here.

I imagine anyone who wanted it would want Spell Pierce first (by a wide margin) and a lot of cubes don't even run that card (even though it's totally sweet).

vs.

Sometimes I like to imagine games of MtG and certain lines of play during said games happening in a world of "real" Magic dueling. The idea of a Doomed Necromancer uttering his last words of the undeath ritual only to bring himself back from the dead amuses me every time. It's like as if he's doing some fun parlor trick for your opponent's Baloths to see...It also just so happens to make anything with a Morbid ability trigger because if you're casting Brimstone Volley after he's killed himself and come back seconds later, you're probably some weird sadist mage. Or maybe your Reaper from the Abyss is? All I know is someone is getting way to excited at this so called "doomed" necromancer's bullshit. Not even gonna try to figure out where Xathrid Necromancer is getting that zombie from if the Doomed Necromancer comes back from his own magic...

In case that wasn't too clear on which one I like better, I think I like Doomed Necromancer better simply on the grounds it takes some talented stupidity to kill yourself just so you can reanimate yourself. So silly.

EDIT: He should say "ta-da" every time he comes back. Really brings the whole thing together.

EDIT #2: Yea, I know Hell's Caretaker can do the same thing but then it sort of makes sense since he's already from Hell and all...not to mention he isn't human so it becomes a lot less silly and just generally unimpressive.

A comment from anotak in the Skype thread got me to thinking:

Personally, I LOVE Unexpectedly Absent. It's what I would consider a near-perfect design for what white removal SHOULD look like. The ability to hit most things, but not deal with any single thing permanently. Celestial Flare's alright, but if I have to choose, I'm always going with Unexpectedly Absent. Surprised the card doesn't see more play in Legacy.

Personally, I LOVE Unexpectedly Absent. It's what I would consider a near-perfect design for what white removal SHOULD look like. The ability to it most things, but not deal with any single thing permanently. Celestial Flare's alright, but if I have to choose, I'm always going with Unexpectedly Absent. Surprised the card doesn't see more play in Legacy.

I just bought this card on ebay. You should be a Magic Card Salesman.