Sets Journey to Nyx Spoilers

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Will blue get an aggressive heroic creature?
Will red get a decent bestow card?
Will the gridfillers rejoice at a W/G Ajani?
Will devotion get a decent chunk of support or simply be a cube footnote?

Spoilers start Monday!

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I'll be happy to finally get the U/R Temple.

I'm mostly just hoping for a decent white devotion card and some good multicolour Gods, but I'm not holding my breath.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
V3BPqHgGlq_EN.jpg

Black gets all the good bestow cards it seems!

Ch-check out this sweet new mechanic guys, we promise we didn't just rename replicate (or multikicker, hurr):
sEl02fDq0L_EN.jpg

Constellation might be cool for you people forcing auras really hard!
I also don't hate this card
4FOVmZZRox_EN.jpg

Had to dig a bit to confirm that this was real, but it was reddit's official spoiler:
aS4hKgw.jpg

Two passives? I guess they decided neither was strong enough on its own so they just gave him both? Would be weird for this set's demis to all have two passives when born's only had one.

The Ajani will likely be green white; the only times they've broken the "One planeswalker for each color" rule was Karn being the 'green' PW of scars block and sarkhan the mad being an extra sixth walker. Elspeth is mono-white, so ajani would have to be gold to be white. He could technically be any other color and still make each color get one, but since he's Naya-born I just assumed he would never be black or blue without being dead and/or mind-controlled.

So far I'm vaguely interested in satyr hoplite, and looking at the mechanics going 'well we're scraping a bit here, aren't we'.

3s probably the sweet spot honestly, having played with the card. 2 is still pretty fair

dont forget that you can make your opponent's creatures not block

Yeah, I'm thinking specifically of that in an agro deck! The number probably goes up the less mad you want your aggro decks. With crazy one drops, you won't get to use it at 4 mana, but as the format slows down, spending 4 mana to get rid of a blocker and get the last damage through seems a lot more reasonable.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
V3BPqHgGlq_EN.jpg

Black gets all the good bestow cards it seems!

I had this guy in my cube already at R and bestow RR2 :D
He's awesome. Run him! Though I have incentives on being pumped, but still.

and yeah, the GG bestow on jungle lion over there is just hilariously prophetic. That needs to be more.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Sigiled Starfish is actually cool. Its no merfolk looter, but in exchange it can actually block a few creatures. Worth the 1 mana discount over Thassa in most cubes I'd think.

So Iroas gives you Goblinj War Drums, that gate card whose name I forget that keeps you swinging while preserving devotion and a potenial 7 power goon? That seems good enough to play!

that gate card whose name I forget that keeps you swinging
Dolmen Gate
Either a prerelease or the release promo:
Heroes' Bane {3}{G}{G}
Creature — Hydra, Rare
Heroes' Bane enters the battlefield with 4 +1/+1 counters.
{2}{G}{G}: Put {X} +1/+1 counters on Heroes' Bane, where {X} is its power.

Relatively interesting alternative to chameleon colossus if you dislike random pro creatures, and kalonian hydra if you don't want "kill this now or you're dead" creatures. I'm a little sad it doesn't have a 'has trample if' clause like primordial hydra though. So many of the hydra cards are close but missing one thing. I also dislike that it's called heroes' bane instead of hero's bane. Heroes' is such an awkward word.

STRAIGHT INTO THE TRAINING GROUNDS PACKAGE

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
It seems like the casting cost on that thing should be {2}{G}{G} with the precedent competition. I mean, its not that I want a card on par with Kalonian Hydra, but a cost to pump AND no trample AND not doubling my other dudes seems to be pretty poor even if it has a minor corner case of superiority.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
scourgeoffleets.jpg

I was looking for a new cool blue finisher! Love this guy :D

spawnofthraxes.jpg

Probably too expensive, but he's cool for EDH if nothing else.

dawnbringercharioteers.jpg

Eric, did you want slightly better seraph of dawn? Is this that guy?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Scourge of Fleets is great. Slightly less great for us utility land fetishists, but still awesome.

Dawnbringer Charioteers is about as fair as a "kick aggro in the nuts" card can be.

That IS actually really lame. Devotion is far and away the most interesting mechanic of the block. A shame we didn't get more / more interesting.

Here's a pretty extreme limited bomb:
doomwakegiant.jpg

Given maro's professed antipathy for protection from creatures on a recent podcast, someone should ask him about TNN on his blog.

E: oh here we go:
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/81725744447/if-you-dont-like-commander-eesha-because-protection
jeffderek asked: If you don't like Commander Eesha because protection from creatures makes the game uninteresting, what do you think about True-Name Nemesis?

I’m not a huge fan of the design. I’m kind of keen on player interaction.

In fairness to the design, it was created to be played in a multiplayer format where the card was supposed to have interesting political ramifications and was much easier to deal with.

godsend.jpg

im not really sure how to evaluate this card, does it match up to anything that exists already?

it however is a flavor homerun as a weapon that just eats gods. whats up morrowind sunder and keening

Given maro's professed antipathy for protection from creatures on a recent podcast, someone should ask him about TNN on his blog.
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/pos...-know-the-hype-has-died-down-a-bit-but-i-just
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/pos...sight-would-you-say-putting-true-name-nemesis

Mogis, Thassa, and now this guy are the only gods that do anything in an empty board. I think it's a little odd that his ability is so similar to both Thassa and purphoros.

As far as cube goes I think anyone who ignores thassa can ignore this guy. He's slow and gives you increments of value- while bolts and cards are pretty good increments I don't think it's great to start on turn 6. Colored staff of nin for one less mana with a random factor.

I like godsend but I don't think there's anything to mechanically compare it to, equipment are weird. Scepter of dominance is probably the closest thing. Costs the same, is an artifact, deals with an attacker or blocker every turn. As far as cubing goes how often would a creature with a +3/+3 equipment get eaten instead of chump-blocked? And on the other side do you want to have an effectively first strike death touch exile blocker? Pretty obnoxious.

I'm fine with this as a "swords but worse" effect. It being colored certainly sucks because there's no way it's a cycle (that would be weird, 5 gods 5 mythic equipment as the set's mythics), and costing 3 to equip blows. Just from reading it I'm not really convinced it's more powerful than vulshok battlegear enough to run.