Sets Journey to Nyx Spoilers

Chris Taylor

Contributor
You get two things though with command, not just one. Countering a spell and drawing a card is probably worth 4 mana (maybe a tiny over costed but not much - it's absolutely worth 3 mana so you are paying 1 more to have the option of bounce and tap opponents army).

Back in the day, this card was the nuts

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yup! ...wait, you hear complaints about black in *my* cube? Uh oh.

Oh, you mean your cube, right? Does it have anything to do with the four Gravecrawlers you run? I got a lot of flak about that, and after a good long while, I had to admit it was a bit much and scale down to three.

It's a strong effect, but I can't justify a multi-colored slot to it. With that said, I am running Gelectrode who has a similar theme (though IMO is more flexible and useful outside his specific deck).

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yup! ...wait, you hear complaints about black in *my* cube? Uh oh.

Oh, you mean your cube, right? Does it have anything to do with the four Gravecrawlers you run? I got a lot of flak about that, and after a good long while, I had to admit it was a bit much and scale down to three.

All from you mind. Maybe there's a self loathing thing going on.
Also 4/450 =/= 4/360

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Gnarled Scarhide has been good, but I think we all knew that.

Scourge of Fleets has pretty consistently been a one sided upheval, and replaying value creatures is usually not a life or death factor. Even against pod you're likely getting a few dorks with it and their current pod target. He's been okay but not stellar in pod, since that's usually more of a 3-4 color brew around here when it's not just GB zombies.

Master of the Feast is the real deal. He gives them cards, but damn does he kill people quickly. Reminds me of Abyssal Persecutor, but can come down t2 off a mana dork (I added another birds of paradise) and doesn't demand specific card. DO NOT play him in midrange, you'll regret it.

Mogis's Warhound has been good. He's nice playable card advantage for the aggro deck. His creature mode sucks, but he's seeing play in the non double strike decks, so that's gotta be something.

Ajani's Presence has been good. It doesn't usually get strived, but I like that it's there. Oddly enough I'm not sure the +1/+1 comes up that often. I'm also trying emerge unscathed, and it varies from draft to draft which one is better.

Harness by Force has been great, though it got switched in from threaten, so it wasn't hard. You might not think it'd be strived often, but if your sitting on 5 it might be worth waiting, since the double threaten is an insane amount of damage.

Flamespeaker Adept has been amazing. Really good red heroic creature, and drawing those cards is nuts. Also slides past all the x/1s, of which there are a bunch in the average cube.

Haven't seen setessan tactics yet.

While new ajani might seem boring, he works really well as a stallbreaker and card advantage engine, two things I think the GW littlekid deck needs usually.

CML

Contributor
jury still out on

athreos
nautilus
mystic
thief
eidolon
harness
hour
broodmaster
siren
high priest

sweet

ajani
light
scarhide
master
pharika
flamespeaker

tactics

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Tatics has been sweet for you CML? It's kinda seperated from others in the sweet category.

Also: Are people adding banishing light? I do like the updated wording, but my ORings look so much nicer...

CML

Contributor
it adds an extra space at the end of my c&p'ed posts for no reason sometimes

i dunno, i cut detention sphere because the tokens could use the extra help and it was another gold card and i wanted another o-ring effect. people bitch and moan about 'artifact / enchantment' removal so give them nothing to bitch about

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I prefer non-shenanigans mode to shenanigans.

I do, but said shenanigans are much harder to pull off with enchantments, (and most of my bounce is creature only) so I think the art upgrade is nicer.

it adds an extra space at the end of my c&p'ed posts for no reason sometimes
i dunno, i cut detention sphere because the tokens could use the extra help and it was another gold card and i wanted another o-ring effect. people bitch and moan about 'artifact / enchantment' removal so give them nothing to bitch about
I basically added another ORing on the same logic before the set came out, and my drafters did enjoy it. On the other hand, I get flack for running multiples of random counters but splitting city of brass/mana confluence. I'm wondering where people fall.