Sets Journey to Nyx Spoilers

OG Chandra does a pretty fair slow pyrotechnics impersonation

The first 5 walkers were pretty well designed. What has come after them though has really pushed me over the edge and turned me against this card type. If you look at the first 5, all of them had a really minor +1 ability - most of which you'd see as statics or activated abilities on artifacts/enchantments. Garruk was essentially a mana rock. Chandra pinged your opponent like sulfuric vortex. Jace was howling mine. Goldmane a little life. Lili's was the least fair, but she cost 5 mana and needed a gazillion turns to go ultimate. These things weren't stupidly powerful. The minus abilities weren't ridiculously good and most of the ultimates weren't either (Chandra and Lili aside - both the most expensive walkers and the hardest to trigger to try and offset this).

I just think since then they took the design and started pushing it to the moon. And it was right after that they (Wizards) decided to money grub and do the mythic rare thing. Not to mention the power creep explosion (gotta get em all)! I'm sorry, but all these decisions did was make the game more expensive for people. None of this was done with the players in mind. Wizards did the same thing with the D&D license. I dislike that company like I dislike Sony (and that's not at all a compliment). I'm just not a fan.

Shifting gears a little....

With all the playable enchantments at this point (and this set giving us even more), does this card suddenly become playable as a combo piece?

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I think most of us rejected it before Theros, so let's see what's been added:

Chained to the Rocks
Font of Fortunes
Font of Fertility
Skybind

Ordeals
Gods (Purphoros being especially relevant)
Weapons

Gnarled Scarhide
Aegis of the Gods
Hopeful Eidolon
Hypnotic Siren
Mogis's Warhound
Spiteful Returned
Courser of Kruphix
Eidolon of Countless Battles
Herald of Torment
Nighthowler
Chromanticore

Underworld Coinsmith
Eidolon of Blossoms

Yeah. I probably not then.

I just checked and I'm running 37 enchantments in 360 cards (really 400 if you add in the lands that will be in my main cube). So less than 10%. That probably isn't enough to make this card good. You'd need two of them in your graveyard I think to make it worth while.

There's always things like Debtors' Knell though, which is completely busted at 4 mana.

But this might just be a constructed combo thing. Bummer. I was sort of feeling this.

EDIT: Scratch that, I'm running 42 enchantments and I could push that even higher if I wanted. Still, how many do you need to make this draftable and not ultra-narrow? I'm seeing it like a regrowth meets very conditional one-sided living death. It clearly has potential.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I run over 70 enchantments in 384 cards and could easily push it higher. The enchantresses are great cards. Replenish is legit in W/U, but a little too narrow to run with, but I think that will change next update when you can, say, Fauna Shaman enchantment creatures into the graveyard.

I run over 70 enchantments in 384 cards and could easily push it higher. The enchantresses are great cards. Replenish is legit in W/U, but a little too narrow to run with, but I think that will change next update when you can, say, Fauna Shaman enchantment creatures into the graveyard.

Now that is probably the right amount - 20%. Fauna Shaman is a clever idea. Very nice.

I read through the enchantress thread. I'm not sure how much of that I want, but I think some pieces could have some traction with me.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
This card is mildly interesting. Almost.
yh3DhDx6i0_EN.jpg

That was on my watch list, but even as a two-for-one I don't think I want mind twist in my cube. It was already banned in the local peasant cube (Immolating souleater was the last straw)

I would like to share that sheep are used for scale in multiple cards in JOU:
fleetfeathercockatrice.jpg
hypnoticsiren.jpg
gluttonouscyclops.jpg

I also really wish this thing had a different trigger than forest count, because I like it (llanowar empath is so small). Art like this also makes me wonder what exactly a cow, a bear and a deer want with this thing at the same time:
nessiangamewarden.jpg

Hypnotic Siren is for playing early and pantsing up in a GWU or some part thereof voltron deck, or a UR aggro deck.

It also has an alternate mode where it's mind control with upside.

How do people like bestow control magic? Can you guys get back to me on this one?

I can't help but think she'd be one of my favourite designs at bestow 5U

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I'm not sure why other people have said they like having the flying man body option, but in my cube an evasive one drop body and being an enchantment are both big advantages. I'm not sure if Hypnotic Siren is worth running over Triton Shorestalker, but she's a consideration for sure. If you don't have an aura to drop on turn 2 or 3, it seems pretty shitty.

Judge's Familiar is pretty baller, though.

Hypnotic Siren's bestow cost is just absurdly high. 7 mana for a control magic is just asking too much IMO. This thing needed a robe of mirrors effect and I would have probably run it. As is, this thing is just asking to be a massive tempo loss.

Edit: I love the design though.

I mean, that seven mana control magic can't beat for 3 on turn two, and the flying men can't steal your opponents best dude if he'd be useless on board. Options are power.

Options are power.

All I'm saying is both these options kinda suck.

If you wouldn't play either mode by their lonesome ever why would you play a combined card? Every charm I run would be near things with at least two of its modes as standalone cards, just 'not quite there' (or ARE cards, in some cases) so being a charm pushes them over. Another thing I do when I look at charms/split/bestow cards: I want to actually be able to say I want one of the modes in particular, with the rest as gravy. I ran flesh//blood for a while because I wanted a fling that didn't actually eat your guy, and sometimes flesh got cast or it got fused, and that's great, but I really just added it for blood.

Siren doesn't pass either of these checks (being 2 cards I kind of want standalone or having a 'good' mode I consistently want) so I just can't sheep myself off the cliff (to take this to an extreme) and even try her.

Then again if being flying men / being an enchantment is actually good in your list (like FSR mentioned) then this thing is pretty sweet and more power to you.

I probz don't like it at 7.

but I could see myself with a blue control deck keeping a hand with Hypnotic Siren, Remand, Exclude or whatever and just dropping the siren on turn one knowing that we weren't going to be playing a real game of magic for several turns. And when they do start being able to do things they are going to have other things on their mind than killing a 1/1.

I followed the test you described and cryptic command does not pass it yet i run cryptic

You get two things though with command, not just one. Countering a spell and drawing a card is probably worth 4 mana (maybe a tiny over costed but not much - it's absolutely worth 3 mana so you are paying 1 more to have the option of bounce and tap opponents army).

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
As of yesterday, I run all of the commands now.. save for one.

Poor red. No busted two-drop; no playable command. I'm sometimes shocked that this colour is playable - let alone good! - in my cube.