Sets Journey to Nyx Spoilers

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Also when played on an opponents creature you BETTER have some first strike going on, because wow does he cause trades.

I really wish the white one was a 3/3. Only having 2 toughness means he'll die a lot more, even if the bestow mode is so sweet.

CML

Contributor
the black and blue one look OK, obviously the green one is awful and the red one compares unfavorably to griffin and elephant guide while the white one is basically mogg flunkies. when i say 'try anything that has even a remote possibility of being cubeable' i will only try the U / B ones

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
The red dude can do three things that the guides can't:

1) Have an effect on an empty board
2) Be a bear
3) Force an opponent's creature to attack (probably will only come up 1:100+ games)

While also

4) Being a bad version of elephant/griffin guide
5) That still gets the "token" if exiled/bounced/killed in response/other weird corner cases

I'd say its playable.

setessantactics.jpg

how to evaluate this thing, is this a green sweeper?

I like this card. I'm finding room for it I think.

And I'm telling everyone right now who thinks the GW walker is not good. It is. You know why? Because it's a walker and they are all busted. You can't not make them busted without just grossly over-costing them which isn't going to happen probably ever. Maybe this one's not P1P1 (maybe it doesn't even make most cubes), but it's going to be at least good and probably great.

Reactions: CML
And I'm telling everyone right now who thinks the GW walker is not good. It is. You know why? Because it's a walker and they are all busted. You can't not make them busted without just grossly over-costing them which isn't going to happen probably ever. Maybe this one's not P1P1 (maybe it doesn't even make most cubes), but it's going to be at least good and probably great.
nah

tibalt is awful
sarkhan vol is pretty mediocre
ashiok is bad
3 mana ajani is merely good
liliana of the dark realms is playable in monoblack. i guess. except the best non-esper deck in standard is monoblack and they don't care about this walker at all even though its legal
nissa revane is pretty narrow, barely saw standard play
chandra nalaar is nah
liliana vess is pretty subpar too
vraska is nothing to write home about either
sorin markov is pretty average, though quite annoying in edh

Reactions: CML
nah

tibalt is awful
sarkhan vol is pretty mediocre
ashiok is bad
3 mana ajani is merely good
liliana of the dark realms is playable in monoblack. i guess. except the best non-esper deck in standard is monoblack and they don't care about this walker at all even though its legal
nissa revane is pretty narrow, barely saw standard play
chandra nalaar is nah
liliana vess is pretty subpar too
vraska is nothing to write home about either
sorin markov is pretty average, though quite annoying in edh

I think it's just that people have become desensitized to the power creep in the game. I know people who didn't think Saw 2 was over the top with it's use of gore. Same kind of thing here. Guys who think Grave Titan is just OK.

Alright, I'm going to stop now before I start ranting about how Wizard's has ruined this game over the last 5 years. Thank God for cube where I can pretend that most of the last 5 years didn't happen.

CML

Contributor
Launch the Fleet is a sweet design and I cannot figure out why they didn't push it some more. It's quite a bit worse than Militia's Pride, which isn't a card I see anyone running ...

No please ahada pour out your soul below (seriously), I have many thoughts about bad design but they don't really concern PWs and might foretell a different apocalypse than yours

i think its just because constellation, but im more interested in this set so far than the other 2. the block as a whole still feels wack to me though

To the person who laughed at me when I claimed Increasing Vengeance should have been a white card because "Lol white haste?" I accept your apology.
what does copying spells have to do with haste

Alright, I'm going to stop now before I start ranting about how Wizard's has ruined this game over the last 5 years. Thank God for cube where I can pretend that most of the last 5 years didn't happen.
5 years ago if we compare standard environments, we had decks like jund cascade, faeries, and 5c control, which are probably stronger than current standard decks. and extended compared to modern had decks like elfball chord of calling out a lethal predator dragon on turn 3

sure, there has been a power creep in certain areas but you're turning a blind eye to the power going down for other things.

I mean I just posted a bunch elsewhere semi-relatedly, but the broken stuff is now theoretically interactive creatures smashing into other creatures and planeswalkers, instead of I-win combos and blue being objectively the best colour, instead of mostly the best colour.

blue has been actually been pretty average during recent times like jund cascade, junk reanimator, etc

the one that stands out is green, the main thing holding it down atm is lifebane zombie was printed to deal with a bunch of stuff that rotated

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Honestly I'm more interested in blue 1 drops than blue 3 drops and this still doesn't look appealing to me, since it's basically got no unbestowed mode, since the descrepency between them is so high.

It'll be a bomb in draft, sure, but since literal control magic is strong but passable in my cube, I don't think this is something I want :(

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Ridiculous casting cost aside, I think this is a really sweet, flavourful implementation of a Sower of Temptation-style siren. That it had to be rare and seven mana (!) is a bit unfortunate, but I bet it's still pretty decent in sealed.