Sets [KTK] Khans of Tarkir Spoilers

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member

omg this guy has HASTE

i was wondering why everybody was all over this, now i finally get that he's not just a poor man's Gideon

I actually don't think koth is very exciting. His - is so largely useless that he just feels like another generic 4/x haste for {2}{R}{R}. Don't get me wrong, I like the card, it's just not very... interesting. I see sarkhan as Chandra Nalaar with a fixed +, which was her weak point to begin with. I'm pretty curious to see what comes out of the fall EDH set, since they all get a mono-color planeswalker. Teferi doesn't seem particularly geared towards multiplayer so the red one _might_ not be either.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I actually don't think koth is very exciting. His - is so largely useless that he just feels like another generic 4/x haste for {2}{R}{R}. Don't get me wrong, I like the card, it's just not very... interesting. I see sarkhan as Chandra Nalaar with a fixed +, which was her weak point to begin with. I'm pretty curious to see what comes out of the fall EDH set, since they all get a mono-color planeswalker. Teferi doesn't seem particularly geared towards multiplayer so the red one _might_ not be either.

Making the switch to him from lava hounds was just about the most satisfying change I've ever made with my cube.
Also, his - does a lot of work in wildfire occasionally.

I think anyone running a good number of walkers probably wants sarkhan AND pyromaster. They play nicely in just about any red strategy. Plus, unless you have an interesting mono color theme that supports big red, Koth IS sadly kind of dull in comparison to our new great Dragonspeak overlord.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I think anyone running a good number of walkers probably wants sarkhan AND pyromaster. They play nicely in just about any red strategy. Plus, unless you have an interesting mono color theme that supports big red, Koth IS sadly kind of dull in comparison to our new great Dragonspeak overlord.

Oh totally, it's just so frustrating to see so many slam dunks:

Like, here's a list of sweet playable 1 color walkers: (Hardly comprehensive)

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Liliana Vess is the card I always hypocritically defend, but rarely actually gets a cube spot. Now having look at her and Nissa directly side by side, I think I'm about ready to concede that case.

How have people been liking the khans cards? I think only taigam's scheming and the bow I figured wouldn't work out have been misses, but everything else I've tried has been great, and my players are clamoring for more. The more I watch delve cards in play in retail limited and standard the more I look at hooting mandrils and such as a weird serra avenger.

Looking to try treasure cruise, mardu skullhunter and swiftspear (I was an unbeliever) next, anyone got the skinny?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
How have people been liking the khans cards? I think only taigam's scheming and the bow I figured wouldn't work out have been misses, but everything else I've tried has been great, and my players are clamoring for more. The more I watch delve cards in play in retail limited and standard the more I look at hooting mandrils and such as a weird serra avenger.

Looking to try treasure cruise, mardu skullhunter and swiftspear (I was an unbeliever) next, anyone got the skinny?

Skullhunter is fine but boring. Treasure Cruise has been sweet for everyone who's tried it and I think I'm next on that boat, and while I haven't tried swiftspear, Seeker of the Way and my custom blue version of same have been amazing.

I remember people on MTGS going "Man, I can't wait till the obligatory {W} 2/1 prowress gets spoiled" and man, would that have been broken as hell

@Planeswalkers
Yeah it really sucks that black has such a hard time, and it's particularly lame Veil is seen as such a no-fun-zone rather than the sweet enabler it is, but i guess that depends on how much of your cube plays well with Veil.

@Khans Cards
Having done 2 Khans drafts, a sealed and 2 peasant cube drafts with Khans inclusions I have a couple insights
  • Mandrils is the avenger / goyf baby I expected. That card is super cool in GY decks, tempo decks and control decks and you feel way better about your 4/4 being killed by a 2-3 mana spell when it only cost you 2 mana.
  • You don't want to cut cantrips etc for treasure cruise, it's an awful lot like cutting mongrel effects to put in arrogant wurm lol.
  • delve is waaaay worse if you aren't running a million fetches (possibly not the case if your cube's curve is like really heavy at 1-3cc)
  • morphs are kinda boring and clunky so far in my experience, it's just like more built in combat tricks with silly expectation you can make of them, but are probably really redeeming the idiot 3 colour theme.
  • 2/2s for 3 that cost a million mana to do anything are really bad in formats full of 2/1s for one and 3/2s for two. Just like how oblivion ring is kinda mediocre in formats where games are often decided by curving out with legionnaire and hellrider. #RememberGloryseeker
  • Oh and hooting mandrils feels really cool with counterspells, it really reminds me of playing back when odyssey cards were still fresh on peoples minds.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
#RememberGloryseeker is an awesome hashtag.

Magic Player 1: Man, remember Glory Seeker?
Magic Player 2: Yeah man, I miss that dude.
Non Magic Player: OMG GUYS! I AM SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS! TERRIBLE!

Yeah Jeff or CML might remember Onslaught draft where the white deck just seemed amazing at fighting morphs in combat. One of the things you could lean on was having gloryseekers which until scourge came out made you feel really amazing against decks fielding a lot of morphs just because of the tempo advantageous trades you could set up and how often someone would hang back on their morph and not block your idiot 2/2 because it did something cool or the relative shittiness of the trade.

The 2/2 provoke first striker and the 3/4 first striker also helped rule the ground too.

Anyway, morphs kinda suck if you've been going heavy on aggro as we all have for forever.

I think the +1/+1 counter sentinels might be worth testing too.

I had it tonight but ended up not playing white so I'll never know!

Wingmate Roc felt kinda like what I first envisioned Archangel of Thune as, pseudo-anthem type effect on a big flyer for more aggressive decks. Not nearly as good in general but that's understandable. Don't really feel strongly either way about it tbh.