Sets [KTK] Khans of Tarkir Spoilers

I think Green is the best color to do a morph theme card quality wise. You've got a bunch of decent cards there with varying abilities, which actually makes the hidden information somewhat valuable. I'm running a handful of the green morphs and might run Mauler to that mix. Not sure. I also run Exalted Angel and Grim Haruspex as the only morphs in those colors.

I think Broodhatch Nantuko is the "best" morph creature in that it gets the most out of the mechanic. Mauler is probably the most powerful card, though.

That seems like a pretty good plan. The only downside is that people know you have Exalted Angel if it's in a UW deck. Here's a tentative list of what I think could be playable:

...and this one I suppose is technically morph

• Gathan Raiders is great in peasant if you are into graveyard or madness themes.
  • I've Always been a big fan of Grinning Demon.
  • We used to call Echo Tracer "Bad Trick" back when damage still stacked, how do you think it is now?
  • Skinthinner doesn't seem to make a lot of peasant cubes anymore, but I think those people might just not be trying to make a proper environment.
  • Putrid Raptor seems great in most riptide cubes lol.
  • Sometimes people who hate fun will put red akroma in their cube alongside a blink archetype.
  • Bane of the Living used to be one of my favourite cards.
  • I'm not sure anyone has ever done anything cool with Voidmage Prodigy.

Is morph really fun? It's supes awks if you have like 2/1s for 1 all over the place in your format lol.

Morph absolutely feels like something you need to build a cube around with it in mind. I mean, a goblin piker is a pretty playable card in KTK limited, I can't believe how good a savanna lion must be.

OK, so alternate question: which creatures are of the right power level who happen to have morph? Is it worth trying to support the mystery aspect of the morph mechanic for these cards? It just seems inelegant to me to play something as a morph when it is obvious what the card is, but maybe I'm just being too picky.

OK, so alternate question: which creatures are of the right power level who happen to have morph? Is it worth trying to support the mystery aspect of the morph mechanic for these cards? It just seems inelegant to me to play something as a morph when it is obvious what the card is, but maybe I'm just being too picky.

I think it depends on the power level of your cube. Most of us probably cannot do this without running underpowered cards.

But honestly, I don't feel like the mystery aspect of morph is required. I see it more as a combo piece (something you can abuse with blink for instance), or it's a way to get something earlier/cheaper than you should (exalted angel for instance is a stellar deal for 4 mana even if you had to spend 3 mana the turn before).

While Morph certainly has a lot more potential, I don't think we will ever get enough pushed cards to make it work in higher powered cubes. The value in a morph guy has to be pretty insane to pay 3 mana for a generic 2/2 when you could instead drop Vedalken Shackles or Brimaz, King of Oreskos .

I thought it was poop when I first read it, but honestly it is probably the one of the best uses of the ferocious mechanic that WotC released in Khans. Splashable & provides a heavy hit in the damage department. That being said, ferocious is so far proving to be a horrible threshold mechanic. Sure it's easier to get 4 power on board than it is to get 5 power, but there's only so much room in a deck for 4 power beef dudes. Without jumping through hoops, that's asking for you to build a mostly midrange deck containing at least 12 dudes (in constructed, cube is probably like 8) just for decent consistency. On average, they'll cost 4 mana. None of the ferocious cards HELP you hit the 4 power threshold, so running too many cards with the mechanic actually hinders it, similar to Delve. But Delve didn't require building around. It can work fine without any building around it whatsoever. This isn't even mentioning the fact that the mechanic is also probably the least pushed of all the Khans mechanics. I don't foresee too many clan mechanic-based cards being in fate reforged, so ferocious downy look to have a bright future whatsoever. I am honestly shocked that R&D settled with using ferocious as a mechanic at all. The problems with it seem more than obvious. I shouldn't be surprised, though. They've done dumber things in the past.

I'm curious though. What are some GOOD uses of the Ferocious mechanic that they COULD have used? Something that actually interacts with the 4 power dude that isn't completely useless without Ferocious being active? Any ideas? I'm coming up short on them.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
it's essentially a Gruul card, right...? i don't really see myself playing this in UR delver or RB aggro

i mean the card is really sweet ( {R} for shock, {1}{R} for volcanic hammer, {2}{R} for char, etc.) but my cube is stacked with Gruul cards already

edit: hmmmmm maybe I just run it in Gruul and boot one of Bloodbraid or Huntmaster hmmmmm

I could see it in rakdos aggro without much of an issue, actually. Maybe even Boros. Depends on what you're running. Definitely hard to see it in UR though.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
BR and WR don't have that many 4+/X guys afaict, and in UR you're more likely to accumulate the lands you need to fire it off for a decent amount.

You made Falkenrath Aristocrat, Hellhole Flailer, multiple 4 mana demons, Liliana's Reaver, Hero of Oxid Ridge, a decent Carrion Feeder, Morph Phoenix, & a handful of other cubable goods very upset.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
i'm down to two now!

alright, you guys convinced me with the equipment argument, and i suppose white also has an anthem or two

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
the nice part about having all bad equipment (other than not needing to run artifact removal) is that you can wheel all of them in addition to Stoneforge Mystic

I'm not saying I'd run it, I just wouldn't slot it in GR.
i still think it's about twice as good in Gruul decks as in any other red deck, and that it will usually go to the midrange G/R/x player.. in general there are a non-zero number of monocolour cards that essentially only work in a specific guild - of late, Ember Swallower was another basically Gruul card - and i'm mindful of not adding too many of these, because you're essentially adding gold cards that happen to be easy to cast (e.g. Kird Ape)

I might just run a blaze in my red decks in eric's cube because

1. Red aggro decks are pretty inevitable in eric's cube if you have either black sacrifice fun or a critical mass of reach.
2. I always feel like I need more (more or less) unconditional removal in eric's cube (snapcaster baby!)
3. It's really hard to play creature light decks so burning someone out works almost as well in my angel and solider filled control decks as my angel and soldier filled aggro decks. Wait blade splicer is an artificer.