Sets [KTK] Khans of Tarkir Spoilers

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Mostly it seems to give alternate functionality to the enablers, which makes for more interesting deckbuiling and competition over those cards in the draft.

That seems like a clear way of viewing it. You can maybe get away with running more enablers because they will be sought after by people running build arounds. Delve seems less all in, promoting people to be interested in quality spells too?

Yeah, that's the first thing I came to after seeing Delve in the set. It fits in pretty well with any graveyard and gives more value to any effect that dumps stuff into the grave. Delve wise, I'm only running the three best delve spells from KTK (Dig, Cut, Cruise), but putting them in allowed me to finally try out a reanimator subtheme so it's pretty sweet. I'm all for there being more competition for stuff like Frantic Search or Compulsive Research during the actual draft.

Yeah, the vibe I get from watching the PT coverage is that most delve cards are played simply as a way to get additional value from just playing good spells that interact. Cut, Dig and Cruise all fit into those kind of plans. Tombstalker and Hooting Mandrills seem like the creatures that give you value, and with 5 delve cards at 360 that seems to be at pretty much the right balance of giving the dredge/renimator players some competetition while not locking them out completely from the draft.

CML

Contributor
SAT-word joke too. like look at this art and tell me the artist didn't fail to gloss "strand"

on a more serious note, this draft format is really good, isn't it?

CML

Contributor
What can we learn from Khans draft as we build our own formats? "Mana sinks are cool"? "Removal is fun"? "Card advantage is great"? This format plays like an old format.

On a more gleeful and vindictive note I am glad everyone who hated on Morph gets to shut the fuck up about it now!

I am compelled to shove in a morph theme to my cube. I think there might be a threshold of enough that are at the right power level now.

On a more gleeful and vindictive note I am glad everyone who hated on Morph gets to shut the fuck up about it now!

I still hate morph. Not because it's bad, but because it's a heavy-handed way to "fix" the 3-color problem and its actual gameplay is so random.

Draft format's still neat on its own though.

I am compelled to shove in a morph theme to my cube. I think there might be a threshold of enough that are at the right power level now.

I think I'm going to wait for the next set to see what we get. I have a couple morphs in my cube already, but an actual morph theme I think would require I run some janky stuff so I'm not a fan as of yet. I do like morph though.

CML

Contributor
I still hate morph. Not because it's bad, but because it's a heavy-handed way to "fix" the 3-color problem and its actual gameplay is so random.

Draft format's still neat on its own though.

ur dum morph is great

ok real talk. the success of morph in this format points to its flexibility as a mechanic even when the "5-or-more-to-punk-ur-guy" parameter is held constant, so I guess it's just a great mechanic, even if you vary it in a goofy way. like i'm sure there's a way we could find a happy and skill-intensive medium between "BLOCK THAT SHIT" (OLS) and "OMG DONT BLOCK" (KTK).

it's a great way to fix the 3-color problem and i dunno how else to do it without another chunk of actual fixing. regardless I find the refuges, even the crappy ones, to be greatly preferable to Bant Panorama n Friends

Has anyone tested Sagu Mauler yet?

This card seems really intriguing. While you can argue that Sky Swallower is the better GU fatty, I was thinking the morph on this guy makes him more interesting for reanimator. This guy can be played for 3 colorless mana, be used to chump block something and then be reanimated the next turn - no need for a discard outlet. Outside reanimator, this guy can be part of a blink deck.

Maybe those are narrow applications, but I can't help but think this guy will play well in the right cube. Plus, his non-morph cost is perfectly acceptable (6 mana for a 6/6 trample hex proof is legit).

Thoughts? It's not like Simic is stacked.

How many morph creatures would be enough to allow the mechanic to function as hiding information? Before khans started getting spoiled, I had just taken out the last of my morphs because there was rarely any mystery as to which creature it would be.

Also, which would be the best morph creatures?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I think Green is the best color to do a morph theme card quality wise. You've got a bunch of decent cards there with varying abilities, which actually makes the hidden information somewhat valuable. I'm running a handful of the green morphs and might run Mauler to that mix. Not sure. I also run Exalted Angel and Grim Haruspex as the only morphs in those colors.

I think Broodhatch Nantuko is the "best" morph creature in that it gets the most out of the mechanic. Mauler is probably the most powerful card, though.