Card/Deck Low Power Card Spotlight

May I ask where else you find your cube lists? I never wonder into other cube-related sites.
I don't really find them elsewhere, to be honest. I just poke around the cube blogs a lot, checking stuff out. I also visit some CTs directly that I know about, that I don't have a cube blog that I know of. Primary among these is probably Alfonzo's cube, which he does have linked in his sig.

I also think that like, 4, is a lot :p

Ps. All y'all should put a cube link in your signature! It's super convenient and neat to be able to check out people's lists.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Ps. All y'all should put a cube link in your signature! It's super convenient and neat to be able to check out people's lists.

Totally agree. It's especially convenient when people ask a question where the answer could change depending on the contents of their cube. I've missed that link in the signature more than once for this reason.

I often do cubetutor searches for cubes containing offbeat cards I'm interested in integrated.....like if a list is 360 cards and has Tradewind Rider or Avaricious Dragon then I want to take a look at it. It's hit or miss and pretty time consuming, but it's usually good for finding some interesting cards.

Me too. I also spy on other cube lists that people have other than their main cube. You get advance previews of new builds.,

So I'm having a pretty tough time figuring out what I wany to do with the slot that I'm opening up from Titania. This is a neat option I found in my searching. I like that it's got a conditionally relevant ETB effect in that you need to balance what you devour against your future card advantage. I guess I'm hoping it doesn't turn out to be too good still? It seems like a decent enough balance to be a neat card in the environment. Green Fives are really tricky to work with, it seems. Very feast or famine, and I'm trying to get away from a feast here. Nothing is really seeming ideal. Some of my other options are:

Really really wish Gigapede had trample :(

Gigapede is a old favorite of mine, but is pretty bad these days....

I was actually thinking of writing a big post on this archetype I've been working on, but since the pede came up, and I will likely never sit down and commit to a full archetype analysis, I'll just dump this here:

To fetch any of:

Additional support:

(Plus any other relvant emerge, delve cards, or flashback....there's obviously a lot of options to adjust to fit your environment. )

The resulting deck being akin to teachings or the old nether-go decks that were a lot of fun in the past: https://archive.wizards.com/sideboard/article.asp?x=sb20010212a

I like the idea of incentivizing this type of control deck, and felt that Mystical Teachings was just a little too anemic for my environment.

Please feel free to still write up a new thread on the topic! It looks like a sweet Sultai archetype. Its effectively like what I'm aiming to do with Sultai, just more fleshed out. My anchor is still sidisi, brood tyrant.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Have you tried

? Respectively two bodies for one card at instant speed, sweet graveyard synergy card if it gets to attack, and big wall that does serious work vs flyers.

Have you tried

? Respectively two bodies for one card at instant speed, sweet graveyard synergy card if it gets to attack, and big wall that does serious work vs flyers.
I haven't tried any of those. Beast attack is a little awkward because I do run Grizzly Fate so it seems a little overly redundant. Cage breakers is cool, but I don't want it to be a craterhoof in the format, so to speak. Could see the spider!

I run Ridgescale Tusker as my third green five drop. It's a straightforward card, but its playable, desirable even, without wrecking games.
Not a bad option! I still worry that it ends up being too impactful. I could always try it though! I just know that in games when I saw Titania wreck, the deck would've also really loved Tusker in its place because they were going really wide.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I've played a lot of kessig cagebreakers, and really like the card. Its been a consistent, excellent, presence in every one of my low power formats. Its a card very deserving of a low power spotlight, as its the perfect pushed card for those types of formats, and exactly what I want from a rare: a powerful effect that looks and feels pushed when its triggered, but very beatable due to the amount of setup that goes into getting that trigger, and encourages synergy.

If you untap and get to the attack step, its power is relative to the degree you were able to craft your deck to enable creatures being binned. It tends to not just end the game, in the same way a craterhoof would, and you would be surprised at how poor some decks are at getting creatures in the yard--its less of a reasonable assumption than player's often think. Because the cagebreakers has to attack to generate the tokens--and is a mediocre body--it can die in the attack, leaving the opponent ready to crack back, or clean up the wolf tokens. The decision to attack or not attack can be surprisingly complicated.

That being said, I didn't want to automatically suggest it for your format, as I wasn't sure how good of a fit it actually would be. Beating the mana trade drum again, this is another brick creature, costed at the awkward 5, that has to untap and get to the attack step to do anything, and frequently has to survive to a second attack step to really close out the game. That means it has to both survive removal and the board as a four toughness threat, to close things out, which is kind of tough.

Thats a lot of conditions, and traditionally I like it to be at the higher end of the format's power spectrum--if not at the apex--as otherwise players start to ask why they should bother jumping through all those hoops, once they realize it doesn't actually play like craterhoof.

Its miles better than the other cards you have listed, however.

Is something that can help pull off that Sultai theme you want Sigh? Meshes well with +1/+1 counters too.
It is quite powerful, but situational.

Is something that can help pull off that Sultai theme you want Sigh? Meshes well with +1/+1 counters too.
It is quite powerful, but situational.
Gravetroll is on the list of options somewhere for sure! However, Grillo makes a very compelling argument to at least start with the Cagebreakers and see what happens. It's a nice build around that can strongly reward a lititle cautious setup. Think I'll try them out first.

Gigapede is a old favorite of mine, but is pretty bad these days....

I was actually thinking of writing a big post on this archetype I've been working on, but since the pede came up, and I will likely never sit down and commit to a full archetype analysis, I'll just dump this here:

(Plus any other relvant emerge, delve cards, or flashback....there's obviously a lot of options to adjust to fit your environment. )

The resulting deck being akin to teachings or the old nether-go decks that were a lot of fun in the past: https://archive.wizards.com/sideboard/article.asp?x=sb20010212a

I like the idea of incentivizing this type of control deck, and felt that Mystical Teachings was just a little too anemic for my environment.

Your post reminds me a lot of this extended deck I stumbled on when was I searching for different ways to utilize Gaea's Blessing and Krosan Reclamation to get that whole reprogrammable deck that was discussed in the mid/max cube blog going. It's Bob Maher's Oath of Druids deck from Pro Tour Chicago 1999. The deck is basically a control deck that can use Oath of Druids to play its win condition on turn 2. The interaction between Oath of Druids and Gaea's Blessing is super sweet too.

I'm bringing this deck up because I've been thinking about it for about the past month and have been trying to figure out ways to port it for cube and a lot of the cards you've posted for the archetype overlaps with what this oath control deck wants to be doing. I think it would be more appropriate for me to say that Oath of Druids slots super well into what you're trying to do as it dumps a bunch of cards into the graveyard. It won't happen all the time but imagine you get an Oath activation and then you reveal these + some other cards. You've basically drawn a bunch of cards and put a creature into play.

I guess this ended up being a long winded post about how Oath of Druids doesn't have to just be for cheating giant creatures into play but that it can also be for fueling decks that want to utilize the graveyard as a second hand. Hermit Druid fits into the same category in my opinion.

So I'm having a pretty tough time figuring out what I wany to do with the slot that I'm opening up from Titania. This is a neat option I found in my searching. I like that it's got a conditionally relevant ETB effect in that you need to balance what you devour against your future card advantage. I guess I'm hoping it doesn't turn out to be too good still? It seems like a decent enough balance to be a neat card in the environment. Green Fives are really tricky to work with, it seems. Very feast or famine, and I'm trying to get away from a feast here. Nothing is really seeming ideal. Some of my other options are:

Really really wish Gigapede had trample :(

I like Gigapede the most out of the cards listed. I'm a big fan of creatures that can recur without a mana investment. I think Grillo made a very strong case for Kessig Cagebreakers and I am also a fan of Golgari Gravetroll since it can be a graveyard engine as well as a late game threat.

Every creative RUG deck plan I see adds 3 years to my life :). I truly think that RUG has just as much potential as more "solved" pairings like Abzan and Jeskai, and this is the solution (for applicable powered formats). Combo-control seems to fit the color pairing very well, and lends itself to utilizing a wide array of relatively generic pieces to achieve a very unique playstyle.

And the combo doesn't even need to stick to any one plan, as seen in inschos post. Play the mana combo, the creature combo, the goggles combo, as mine seem to favor. Very diverse set of options imo.

There a lot of great red options to add to the support mix, and my newest recruit in Red is trying to play either the card advantage or GY angles while being solid top end (not necessarily low powered):

Welder interactions a definite plus :)

PS. I love the trade routes in that Oath deck. Need to re-re-consider giving it a try

PPS. http://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/start-your-engines-a-temur-card-advantage-deck.1276/

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I love the idea of Oath but I find my Cube(s) becoming more and more creature-centric in a way that boxes out the spell-heavy decks, especially in green: there's always a random Coiling Oracle/Wall of Blossoms or Sylvan Advocate or something. I worry that it's just going to rot in packs and sideboards too often.

Oath can still work outside a pure combo shell. If it flips something like Coiling Oracle, you get a land/card and a chump blocker which can then fire off another oath trigger next turn fueling dudes in the yard for whatever purpose. In this capacity, it's more a value engine. Something like a more random birthing pod (without activation cost). Just needs a high concentration of ETB creatures.

I haven't tried it in that capacity but I see no reason why it wouldn't work, especially in a lower powered list (ceiling on Oath is REALLY high so even suboptimal play with it is probably good enough). You can also pair it with TOL effects to setup plays. Worldly Tutor is especially sweet with Oath of Druids. So is Brainstorm.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Every creative RUG deck plan I see adds 3 years to my life :).

My last draft two weekends ago had two RUG decks! I didn't write down the exact lists, but we didn't shuffle afterwards, so the cards are still clumped together. These should be reasonable close! I believe both lists went 2-1? Anyway, here's a little under 6 years!

First the list I talked about in the 3-0 thread. This is the one that won a game against a resolved Nicol Bolas and two full uses of Demonic Pact :)

Cube Draft 03-06-2017 Winner from CubeTutor.com

The unknown cards are...

Spellstirred Sabertooth.jpg Pull from the Aether.jpg

Then the list I thought was Temur, but it's actually RGWU! Which I should have known since I basically saw every single one of his cards in the finals :rolleyes: Guess it's only three years after all :) I'll leave it here, because it was a thing of beauty!

Cube Draft 03-06-2017 Winner from CubeTutor.com

The unknown card is...

Voidstone Monolith.jpg

Energy is another great layer to RUG! It takes all the heavy lifting of a value engine and defines it with one resource. That deck just looks so rich and multifaceted to play :)

Low powered card spotlight? RUG decks

I would love to see an example deck from Inscho's environment RE: the Oath archetype. :)

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
You should use your cube blog to stream of conscious your ideas. We can act as a whiteboard for you to bounce off of, and hone them. Even writing to yourself can help you hone and articulate them better.

Ideas are seldom perfect in their first form, and usually requite a gestation stage to reach full maturity. I don't think anyone here is going to attack you for presenting an unfinished product to talk over and refine.