Sets [MCD] Theros previews

Dom Harvey

Contributor
attachment.php

I think I'm in love.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Wow, the set looks really cool. I thought m14 was a massive letdown, so I'm pretty happy to see something intriguing. The flavour looks sweet. ("the flavour looks sweet", how cool is that)

CML

Contributor
I rate it, the best card I've ever seen. (What's the second-best card you've ever seen? ... Uh, like, cards and shit.)

Thinking is rubbish, and rubbish isn't cool. Cards and things are cool.

I like the Hedonist and the RG Smash to Naturalize, the 1WR legend is kinda lame imo

CML

Contributor
I've been playing with Cobra for 2+ years and nothing quite matches the feeling of slamming it on t2, maybe making another play, shipping the turn, winding up for a quick fatty, and ... missing your third land drop.

The Satyr seems to be faithful to that experience

Dom Harvey

Contributor
The 1WR legend is a cool card but I'm not really sure how to abuse it. Flame Jab?

Hedonist seems really good to me. It's a decent 2-drop that randomly ramps you into T3 Chandra Nalaar/Thundermaw/Zealous Conscripts/SGC/Thragtusk/Wolfir Silverheart/Batterskull/Precursor Golem/whatever. It's also free storm!

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=532130
It was spoiled on September's FNM poster.
http://imgur.com/3KLlV13

It reads:
Bident of Thassa 2UU
Legendary Enchantment Artifact
Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, you may draw a card.
2U, T: Creatures your opponents control attack this turn if able.

It's rare.
Full poster pic is here:
http://imgur.com/mBEYXxO
The card has art not seen before, leading to the conclusion that this is real.

So.... this is something interesting. Perhaps the set will have some wacky stuff to go in HannesVersmissen's Etherium Astrolabe cube!

So.... this is something interesting. Perhaps the set will have some wacky stuff to go in HannesVersmissen's Etherium Astrolabe cube!

THATS SO COOL LOL.

I've been considering trying Coastal Piracy to encourage more aggressive blue decks because it makes evasive dorks meaningful, and this is just an upgrade. I also have an artifact push in my cube too!!!!! Bident of Thassa + Grand Architect seems sweet together :D. And they both independently (and combined) support cool things. ^^ weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

the 1WR legend is kinda lame imo

Hmmm, why do you think it's so lame? It seems pretty good to me, if you can afford the cost. In my cube for instance it would combat favorably with ~82% of all creatures (based on cubetutor search for toughness that didn't take into account token makers, evasion, and variable stat creatures). That's a ~20% increase over an Elite Inquisitor which beats ~68% of creatures. Further, I imgine that 1WR is easier to manage on t3 in a white/red deck than WW on t2 in a 2 color deck. The heroic boost is also not irrelevant if you retweak your cube for it, which might be relevant if there are multiple good heroic cards and appropriately solid auras from Theros.

The 1WR legend is a cool card but I'm not really sure how to abuse it. Flame Jab?

I don't think you need to abuse it for it to be good. Flame Jab is SUPER cute though :D. Also: Reckless Charge... weeeeeeeeeeee.

I've been looking at the 3 drop guy as a potentially repeating (maybe instant speed) overrun and that sounds pretty bonkers to me, but that depends on what you have to target him with. if the opponent has it out with cards in hand i'd be scared to do any combat at that point.

I like Destructive Revelry a lot, but it's too bad the multicolor will make it too narrow for most cubes.

edit: I wonder at what point my Enduring Ideal can be a put in a cube, maybe theros will let me find out

I am pretty excited about these. as in a whole lot. i'm allready considering some crossover artifact//enchantment support for these (depending on how it plays out), and might try to fit in a few of this obviously rare-cycle. This will be an exciting block for me and my cube !

The 1WR legend seems intresting as a card, but might not make it all the way over. me WR section is pretty generic though, with ajani, charm, helix and figure of destiny, and i woudln't feel half-bad about letting the helix go.

CML

Contributor
looks like someone else submitted it? can't find it though, someone unbury it so we can upvote etc

QAQRjkW.png

Bow of Nylea 1GG
Legendary Enchantment Artifact
Attacking creatures you control have deathtouch.
1G, {T}: Choose one -- Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control; or ~ deals 2 damage to target creature with flying; or you gain 3 life; or put up to four target cards from your graveyard on the bottom of your library in any order.
Wow, this is sweet. I hope there's more stuff like this