Sets [MCD] Theros previews

Yeah that one might make the pez list with all the raise the alarms and such I'm throwing in there. Theres lots that adds a little to those aspects of my pez design. It also makes me curious about enchantress themes and putting isochronic.

CML

Contributor
i've been told new elspeth is phenomenal, and if anyone wants to play standard this season you shoudl start with monored

edit: what are yall doing with the temples?

I'm going to be trying to get ahold of a Boon Satyr and a Satyr Hedonist.
Fleecemane Lion interests me but I'm not sure it'll be fun in a cube.
Whatever the new Savannah Lions is called is probably a good choice for my cube because multicolor has been running a bit rampant.
I'll probably get the new jackal pup if I can too because my aggro 1 drops are very lacking atm

I don't think I'll be adding it but what do people think about Swan Song?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Chained to the Rocks
Elspeth, Sun's Champion
Fabled Hero
Gift of Immortality
Soldier of the Pantheon
Spear of Heliod

Aqueous Form
Benthic Giant (Pauper)
Master of Waves
Omenspeaker
Sea God's Revenge (Peasant)
Thassa, God of the Sea

Agent of Fates
Heroes Downfall
Nighthowler
Read the Bones
Rescue from the Underworld
Tormented Hero

Anger of the Gods
Ember Swallower
Fanatic of Mogis
Firedrinker Satyr
Hammer of Purphoros
Purphoros, God of the Forge

Boon Satyr
Bow of Nylea
Commune with the Gods
Karametra's Acolyte
Polukranos, World Eater
Reverent Hunter
Satyr Hedonist
Sylvan Caryatid
Warrior's Lesson

Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
Fleecemane Lion
Horizon Chimera
Medomai the Ageless
Spellheart Chimera
Steam Augury

The Temples

There's a list of cards I'd consider for some size of cube. There's a few on there that I think are rubbish, but everyone else seems to be excited about.
I don't think I'm adding the temples :( I hope to pick up many a foil one for my EDH decks though, they seem sweet there.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I bought a no mythics complete set of Theros. I have never done this before. It was cheaper to buy this then to buy singles, plus I can sell the thoughtseize. There are just too many interesting cards in this set. The only mythics I picked up were the Hydra and Elspeth. I may end up getting a couple of the gods eventually, but at this point I'm not really sold on any of them.

Purphoros, God of the Forge seems interesting and combolicious, but not in a direction I really play red in.

Thasa, God of the Sea seems like a solid enough to run, but boring enough for me not to care.

Heliod and Erebus are just glacially slow to provide any kind of value.

Nylea seems playable, but mostly I'd just rather cast overrun.

CML

Contributor
Swan Song is probably bad in Cube, but the nuts in Legacy if you're into that kind of thing

Temples in funsies land draft?

Ashiok is flamboyantly bad, like Tibalt bad

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
My Theros top 10 in terms of cards that get me excited about playing Magic are:

10) Anthousa, Setessan Hero
9) Chained to the Rocks
8) Night Howler
7) Firedrinker Satyr
6) Boon Satyr
5) Daxos of Meletis
4) Fabled Hero
3) Hammer of Purphos
2) Whip of Erebus
1) Agent of the Fates

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
There are so many awesome cards in this set that making a top 10 was probably a dumb idea because so many other cards have me psyched to similar amounts. Elspeth in particular is a really nice on theme control finisher/ramp target that does the job other cards do with a completely different dynamic. Its got me excited too.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Also: HOLY SHIT

Haste and intimidate? So he makes my whole team unblockable (assuming well enough black symbols per non evasive creature) while being goblin chariot as well?

It's amazing what another word does

CML

Contributor
yeah, that card seems like a major beating.

fwiw i made a number of cuts after the first whirl last night.

Hammer of Purphoros will not be one of them. djkf