Sets [MCD] Theros previews

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Everyone I play with has been playing since 1993-1995, so that's a nonissue. Savannah Lions has been free card advantage for a while now (getting x-1'd by every mass/dividable removal spell) with only generic upside. It also gets owned by Seacoast Drake. Adding banding won't really change any of that very much, but at least once in a while it will make it a real pain to deal with/fun to play with. While those black aggro dudes/Isamaru with 2 toughness don't seem very functionally different, there is a list of around two dozen cards (possibly more) where it does matter.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Actually, it makes more sense that the most successful aggro decks around here is always red/white: those decks can meaningfully draft the forked bolt/icatian javelineer/arc lightning/fireslinger/etc and dilute those effects in the other players' decks.

Digging the white 1-drop. Wizards has printed a number of solid midrange cards in the last few sets, and it's nice to see aggro keeping pace.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
attachment.php

Those of us who don't like Miran Crusader's protection: your hero is here.

CML

Contributor
well silverblade paladin but yeah this one too.

hello cube forum! i'm going to make a post now.

i'm greatly interested in how heroic is going to fit into people's cubes. looking at my list for example there just isn't the support for it, which is a shame as the one-drops are something i'd like to run (along with the above dude etc.) i'm also curious to see if pro-multicolor will be too much of a pain. between this and the mythic cycle featuring pro-an enemy color, i think they wasted a lot of fun design space.

HOWEVER, THIS IS SHAPING UP TO BE THE BEST SET OF ALL TIME?

there's plenty to drool about even if those cards don't work out. the flavor also puts me in the mood for another civ5 binge, though the last one was 16 hours i'm never getting back. i'm also relieved that the FUT reprint isn't the dumb Jesus aura but a harmless 3/3 for 3:

chained to the rocks
gift of immortality
heliod
heliod's thing
curse of the swine
dissolve
not omenspeaker
prognostic sphinx (hexproof done right)
swan song
thassa
agent of the fates (the sweetest heroic)
erebos
hero's downfall (anyone else enjoy the 1,000 words about an instant-speed dreadbore reprint on the mothership?)
not nighthowler (bonehoard for retards)
read the bones (maybe)
real thoughtseize
ember swallower
fanatic of mogis
purphoros's thing
purphoros
boon satyr
nylea's thing
nylea (probably not)
polukranos
ashen rider (the second-sweetest 'slime' ever after the original Prime time)
not ashiok (good god, what a terrible card)
daxos of meletis
fleecemane lion
reaper of the wilds (probably not)
steam augury (probably not, it's not as bad as the FoF pedants say it is, though)
tymaret
xenagos

last joke: when this set comes out we're going to have to disambiguate between "bad elspeths." this actually improves the joke as the original nomenclature confused new players who thought it meant 2WW elspeth, which was funny because HAVEN'T WE ALL BEEN THAT PLAYER?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I feel like I should do part 1 of my set review sometime :p
Didn't notice we were halfway through already. Do we have someone on that?

In more recent news:
Ordeals are cool. Wish the red one was more worth it, and I love that my favorite casual deck (Auratog + Rancor) just got some new toys. Shame it's not still good in modern, since path exists in maindeck capacity.

Fabled Hero: Mirran Crusader without protection! I've actually asked for this, and I think I might go back to silverblade + him instead of x2 Silverblade
Agent of the Fates: Might we have found a good black 3 drop? Love deathtouch, good size, and that's the first heroic ability I can see bolting my own creature to do, which goes a long way. I'm optimistic
Demonheart Chimera: After the scuccess I've had with Runechanter's Pike, I'm curious. I think flying makes it better than Nivix Cyclops, and I'm almost dead sure CML will want it what with all his cantrips, but I'm not sure If I'm personally putting in enough for him to be good. I'm curious :D
Fanatic of Mogis: I've heard him described as FTK for players, but that makes it way, WAY worse. At the moment, I don't think he's better than any of the red hellrider style guys. I'll keep my eyes open, but the biggest upside he seems to have is he passes the terminate test better if you have other dudes. (IE assuming they haven't been testing all your creatures)

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
While the pro-color mythic cycle has also been a complete miss for me, I agree that this is definitely one of the best sets ever in terms of cards to seem awesome.

Heroic should be better for me then most as I run all those jank cards that target your dudes.

More one drops, which are always the weak link in the mana curve.

And, most amazingly, no cards that make angry (Kalonian Hydra type dudes).

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I'm on the fence with heroic, too. Other than Rancor, I don't think I run a single beneficial aura, never mind the often maligned combat tricks. How are other people planning to prepare for heroic? Jam all the Mutagenic Growths and Hyena Umbras you can find? Or treat the entire mechanic as flavour text, and judge cards based on their other benefits?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I'm on the fence with heroic, too. Other than Rancor, I don't think I run a single beneficial aura, never mind the often maligned combat tricks. How are other people planning to prepare for heroic? Jam all the Mutagenic Growths and Hyena Umbras you can find? Or treat the entire mechanic as flavour text, and judge cards based on their other benefits?

I'm in on heroic heroic. I already run lots of cards that can trigger it and I'll take this as an excuse to run a few more. You know, the Elephant Guide class of cards. Grave Servitude on Agent of Fates to remove there blocker before spanking them for 6 is going to sweet!

Nevermind casting Emerge Unscathed of Hero of Fables. That's a real beating!

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
wsPh2xuLfTB_EN_LR.jpg

I love this set. So gosh darned flavourful.

And, oh, hey, it's a sweet red one-drop, too!

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I guess when we got marginally upgraded savannah lions we should have known marginally upgraded jackal pup was around the corner. Creature combat is a pretty big deal in cube, jackal pup's stock has plummeted over the years.

I guess this means I get to sharpie something on him too. Suggestions?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
In the spirit of Theros, giving the Jackal Pup etb Scry X seems like it makes sense. I mean, Jackal's are supposed to be clever Sorcerers and what is more clever then looking at the top card of your deck?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Lol flanking

Why the hell not? It helps mitigate his drawback and actually might get him into the red zone ocassionally. Plus, I don't think I run a flanking card anymore. Fallen Askari is weak these days, Teferi's Honor Guard doesn't cut it without damage on the stack (and yet I run Rainbow Efreet, wtf?), Benalish Cavalry and Knight of the Holy Nimbus are dull cards at a very interesting casting cost. I guess Suq Ata Lancer would be the go-to dude for flanking? Not really a great option.

How about your sharpie out his damage clause? So we get red savannah lions like we should? :p
Seems reasonable enough. After my rant about how mediocre Savannah Lions are, I don't think this card would be scaring anyone.

"you" ^EACH PLAYER

Biting everyone!
That seems a little over what I'm willing to buff.