Sets [MCD] Theros previews

Chris Taylor

Contributor
If one of the gods ends up being playable, my money is on the red guy. He seems the closest to being playable just as an enchantment, as that trigger is practically unique in magic.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
ELJsJYK7L18_EN_LR.jpg
Image.ashx

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I kind of like http://mythicspoiler.com/ths/cards/omenspeaker.html in the blue defensive/value 2-drop slot

The more I think about it, the more I want Omenspeaker in my list. Augur of Bolas whiffs way more often than I'd like, and while Scry 2 isn't quite in the same league as drawing a card, fixing the next couple of draw steps while holding off ragtag riff-raff is what controllish blue decks want to do around here anyways. It fits into game plans better than Augury Owl, which is a card I don't dislike.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I know this is horribly biased, but my inital reaction was "Motherfucker, seriously? Another RG2 card? You do know there are other mana costs right?"

Missing an ult is a big minus, as is being 2 colors, but his tokens are better in a goldfish. given the ubiquity of bears in the average cube however (Due to the increased size of 1 drops) Garruk's tokens usually end up being better.

I'm pessimistic

There are other drops than 4-5 too. I think wizards keeps forgetting. I think they are a bit scared of 2cc again but that also used to be a place where you saw spikes of concentrations of pushed cards now too but I'm glad they made that pyromancer.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Really the only mana cost I don't feel satisfied with in most colors is 1 (and once in a while 3). Just about anything else is purely lateral shifting. I see Xenagos and it doesn't at all matter to me if he's better then Bloodbraid, Huntermaster, Koth, Garruk, etc. Power level wise, he's roughly equivalent. The only thing that matters is which one makes the games better and which one makes my cube play the way we enjoy best.

But there are a few 1 mana cards missing still, I think, before an open-ended cube can feel "finished" without using multiples.

CML

Contributor
FSR: i strongly agree with your 1 and 3 point. in particular nice mono-colored 3-drop dudes in G,R are tough to come by.

whatever my criticisms of wotc, they're not that scared of two, they printed snap 2 years ago and now we get pyromancer, voice, ooze (in a core set), and now the sweet watchwolf monster. BTE too if that's your thing

on a similar but opposite topic, repeat after me: "Omenspeaker is horrible"

decent draft common though. anyone here remember m11?

45.jpg

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I remember when I started constructed somebody was playing Augury Owls when everybody else had these guys:
Squadron_Hawk_M11.jpg

Augury Owl dude lost a lot.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
What are people's thoughts on the scry lands? I love the idea of that much decision going into a land drop, but I'm sad they ETB tapped.
Currently I have these:
Shock/Fetch/Fetch/Dual
Filter
Horizon Canopy

I kinda wanna swap out the canopies, but I'm not sure if this is the right swap.

Rob Dennis

Developer
I'd personally not cut Horizon Canopy (and for what it's worth, I wish that cycle was finished)

I could see the eventual U/W and U/R scry lands replacing mystic gate and cascade bluffs in my list. I probably do want to keep the black filter lands and the green karoos in my list

edit: after remembering that you finished the horizon canopy cycle with custom cards, I guess my updated suggestion would be to not worry about a complete cycle for the last piece of fixing?

G/W, R/W, R/G all probably want the canopy cycle, but that's not the case for necessarily all the pairs

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Part of my thing is that if you don't use cycles for everything, you're pigeonholing a color pair into a deck type (Slightly sure, but still) since if there's a RW painland, there's less likely to be a RW control deck.
The horizon canopies were my attempt to find another cycle both aggro and control would want. I know aggro doesn't want these scry lands, but I'm wondering if it ends up being worth it because scry is so awesome gameplay wise

I'm just giving you guys evil ideas. I'm not saying it's optimal, I'm saying its a great way to get yourself a really weird interactive environment and involve your lands more in decision making.

Rob Dennis

Developer
Part of my thing is that if you don't use cycles for everything, you're pigeonholing a color pair into a deck type (Slightly sure, but still) since if there's a RW painland, there's less likely to be a RW control deck.

I've personally made peace with this. For what it's worth I've kind of just planned around the fact that R is 90% part of a UWR or Grixis deck when it's in the control role, which means I get to make certain other calls when it comes to relevant fixing

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=145500&d=1378586120
Steam Augury 2UR
Instant
Reveal the top five cards of your library and separate them into two piles. An opponent chooses one of those piles. Put that pile into your hand and the other into your graveyard.

this is my favorite card from theros so far but that's too easy to get me with the ol fact or fiction
my next cube will in fact be three hundred and sixty Steam Auguries

Karoos, scrylands, land destruction. Engage.
here you go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL04lbfeNAaS-cHAvSFwlGCUQ0pmsXa5SQ&v=VJJqP-W3W8w&t=44

Chris Taylor

Contributor
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=145500&d=1378586120

this is my favorite card from theros so far but that's too easy to get me with the ol fact or fiction
my next cube will in fact be three hundred and sixty Steam Auguries

here you go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL04lbfeNAaS-cHAvSFwlGCUQ0pmsXa5SQ&v=VJJqP-W3W8w&t=44

I will say that since you choose the piles and they choose the cards it's patently worse (Since relying on your opponent to make an uninformed decision about the cards you want is easy)
But then again, RU is kinda a wasteland right now, so maybe it gets played anyways. Worse or not, it's totally sweet

Dom Harvey

Contributor
In singleton maybe, but I can't imagine wanting to put that card in my Cube when I could just add another Fact or Fiction.