Sets [MCD] Theros previews

They found a way to make a strictly better anthem by clunkily adding more targetable types to everything. Way to appease the magic precedence police.

well, I don't consider anthems to be good but that card isn't merely an anthem.

And the 1GG is more than a 4/2 flash

Chris Taylor

Contributor
well, I don't consider anthems to be good but that card isn't merely an anthem.

And the 1GG is more than a 4/2 flash

Holding up that much mana to reciprocate doesn't seem that great in much other than a control deck, where the anthemn would be bad. Sadly, being an artifact is a huge downside, since now it opens up red as a color that can answer it as well, let alone the viridian shaman crew.

Also for those confused (I really should have done this with my original post)
boonsatyr.jpg

IIRC if they kill the bestowed creature (in response or after the fact) this guy becomes a creature, and sticks around in play. Thats some merit, even if the body has the dreaded cube 2 toughness (Meaning it dies to creatures of almost any size).

Could this be the green 3 drop we've been waiting for?

Can someone explain the hatred of anthems to me, please? I run tons of them, and they are pretty key to the token and White Weenie archetypes, and better in multiples.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
My beef with anthems is they're only good in token decks, not in other aggro decks. You can play Glorious Anthem in a WW deck, but it's not that great (It probably was a few years back)

The rest of them are too restrictive or too expensive.
Creature style anthems don't really count because their merit is more tied up in the creature itself: would Accorder Paladin be that great as a squire?

Currently I've got these in my cube:
W1 enchantment
Nonartifact creatures you control get +1/+1

W1 enchantment
Attacking creatures you control get +1/+0
Nonattacking creatures you control get +0/+1

and they're both okay. Not even solid, but role players. The token deck benefits from them as much as it would from Honor of the Pure, and the aggro decks occasionally play them, which is more than they were before.

Also, RE Wake: Don't get me started. That is a mana flare that happens to interact with the X spells those colors have. It's as much an anthem as goblin guide is a good blocker.

No! Please! Get started on Wake!

Sure, the anthem is merely gravy on top of the real reason you're playing the card--the insane amount of mana you crave. But that gravy does tend to go beautifully with the, um... mashed potatoes that is the GW token deck. It's synergistic, not something tacked on in a random direction.

My experiment in pushing tokens has also led me to revise my opinion of anthems in general aggro and even midrange decks. They are far better in multiples, and get played more the more you make available. I believe I saw a deck with Accorder Paladin, Soltari Champion, Honor of the Pure, Glorious Anthem, Mikaeus the Lunarch, and Gavony Township the other day, and it was pretty awesome. Not a great deck, but pretty cool to see.

Anyway, back to Theros...

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, I'm happy that it exists, because while Murder fell a little short, the prevalence of planewalkers in cube means that a monocolour instant-speed Dreadbore is just what the doctor ordered. It happens to slot in nicely for Eyeblight's Ending here, too, even though I'll miss Lucas asking me every time I cast a Pelakka Wurm whether it's an elf.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Love me some supermurder as well :p
I think in cube, Negate/Spell Piece might be better than Swan Song (Unfortunatly) but I'm interested to see if thats a thing in legacy. I don't know if enchantment is enough upside on flusterstorm to merit the switch. (Plus hard counter yadda yadda yadda)

Tormented hero seems interesting. If you're making a concerted effort to include more combat tricks etc, he might be worth including.

Love the whip, might be just what black needs here. I'll at least try it, though thats a lot of life/inevitability.

Also: Latest Flavor Win award goes to Akroan Horse. Lovin this set, I was a huge fan of greek mythology as a kid :D

Chris Taylor

Contributor
How about dissolve? Scry 1 isn't very much... but it's not bad either. This card seems just about fair.
dissolve.jpg

I like it personally, but I'm one of those weirdos who still runs hinder. Way better than dissipate in a vacumn, FWIW.

Scry 1 is a more universal rider on otherwise playable spells just like the "lose 1 life" rider from NPH. Shame they kinda learned their lesson, and unsummon + rider is U1 this time :p

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
attachment.php

When someone sees this card, they might think any number of things.

They might think "aggro support".

They might think "power creep".

They might think "more reasons to use champion of the parish".

They might think any number of things.

But what do I think?

Tacit permission to write banding on my savannah lions!

Its like a mini-September Christmas!

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Very, very happy with Dissolve, probably more than I should be. I'd already wanted to run a second copy of Dissipate, but never quite pulled the trigger. Now I can finally dump that Logic Knot!

xNQzZUPSlCc_EN_LR.jpg

Is it just me, or is this just about the best cube card ever? People are always killing themselves over here with black decks packing scads of self-inflicted life loss, so a piece of kit that slaps the important half of Basilisk Collar onto your whole team feels like a big game. And then you get a repeatable Goryo's Vengeance effect to boot, which might not be that exciting for people who regularly cube with Animate Dead, but is drool-worthy here where I regularly maindeck Zombify without embarrassment. (Okay, maybe a little bit of embarrassment). These legendary enchantment artifacts still feel a bit weird, no question, but I have high hopes for this one.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Is it just me, or is this just about the best cube card ever? People are always killing themselves over here with black decks packing scads of self-inflicted life loss, so a piece of kit that slaps the important half of Basilisk Collar onto your whole team feels like a big game. And then you get a repeatable Goryo's Vengeance effect to boot, which might not be that exciting for people who regularly cube with Animate Dead, but is drool-worthy here where I regularly maindeck Zombify without embarrassment. (Okay, maybe a little bit of embarrassment). These legendary enchantment artifacts still feel a bit weird, no question, but I have high hopes for this one.
We have an unabashed love of corpse dance over here, so this card is extremely interesting to me.

It has a much higher start up cost.

It can't be used of defense.

It is more vunerable to disruption.

You can't play it for 3 in a pinch.

You can't avoid the "leaves play" clause.

But in exhange for all that, every dude gets lifelink and you can pick which creature you bring back.

It's a really awesome card.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Soldier: WAAAAAA Protection. I might anyway, but I'm not sure I need it. I'm actually really happy with my white section right now :p
Whip: Expensive, but that's a hell of a lot of inevitability, and (probably) the means to get there. I'm more worried about it being oppressive than good, but it's also really slow. 8 mana to get value out of it without the possibility of abuse (Blink, Crystal Shard etc) is a lot or mana

When someone sees this card, they might think any number of things.

But what do I think?

Tacit permission to write banding on my savannah lions!

Its like a mini-September Christmas!

Hahahha maybe "bands with other cats?"
I'm pretty comfortable with custom cards, but banding is like animal cruelty to new players and that ability is not a write off either. Whata beating banding turns out to be eh?