Sets [OGW] Oath of the Gatewatch Spoiler Thread

Welp I preordered the stuff I want to test. No wastes cards sadly... I think they would be a good fit for that cube where all the fixing is Filter Lands, though.

my favs from this set

linvala preserver

goblin dark dwellers

chandra flamecaller

oath of nissa

sylvan advocate

jori en ruin diver

ayli eternal pilgrim

kozilek great distortion. i feel like hes in the right spot late game instead of trying to get colorless early to throw off your mana. i like how his protect ability functions. justice for ulamog

I guess I go all in on new sets, at least at first. :p
There was a lot of cool stuff from this set that I want to at least test out.

Multicolored cards were hitting it left and right:

The regular ol' cards ended up being 1-2 per color:

the Eldrazi ended up being slim pickin'. But I might test a couple more than this:

I'm actually super pumped about Goblin Dark-Dwellers. While not hitting counterspells like Snapcaster may suck in modern, I think he compares really well in cube. Also a 4/4 menace is waaay better than a 2/1.

i don't know if anything came of this but some Sneak & Show players were talking about using it to get around times when Show and Tell is the wrong line; you Show in the gobbo, they drop Ashen Rider and exile the goblin, but you've managed to flash back Show and Tell so you can drop Miss Emma on em without interruption. Not cutting emrakuls or griselbrands, i don't think, but diversifying the threats and providing an actually hardcastable plan C around combo and graveyard hate.

i don't know if anything came of this but some Sneak & Show players were talking about using it to get around times when Show and Tell is the wrong line; you Show in the gobbo, they drop Ashen Rider and exile the goblin, but you've managed to flash back Show and Tell so you can drop Miss Emma on em without interruption. Not cutting emrakuls or griselbrands, i don't think, but diversifying the threats and providing an actually hardcastable plan C around combo and graveyard hate.

Couldn't the opponent just wait to Ashe Rider the real threat?

You dont get to know what's coming in, so this provides a major gamble for the ashen rider holder. Do you just not choose the rider as your first card? What's the impetus? It'll have to "get you" at least once, but what if they switch it up? It would add interesting depth, for sure.

Words, some good ones.
I hated the Weatherlight cycle with a burning passion, and I'm deeply annoyed that that sort of storytelling seems to be coming back for BFZ. Fortunately I suspect it will fall flat on its face again; certainly it failed, badly, in the Tarkir block. Nobody gives a damn what happens to Ugin or... that idiot dragon-wizard guy, I can't even be bothered to remember his name. People cared about the setting, about the clans and the world, and it feels like Wizards didn't realize that until it was too late, like they designed this cool world and then made it secondary to a boring uninteresting story about a flat, boring superdragon and his flat, boring superwizard. It feels like planeswalkers are being pushed painfully hard in order to develop recognizable, copyrightable IP
https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/3jecaw/why_magic_sucks/cup19va?context=2
Oath of whoever, just give us more sweet cityscapes and kor and guilds and elementals! They evoke flavor and setting like the lines in Mad Max Fury Road, via alluding and suggesting the shape of things more than telling us "this is Jace, these are his specific feelings and his specific drama".

Words, some good ones.

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/3jecaw/why_magic_sucks/cup19va?context=2
Oath of whoever, just give us more sweet cityscapes and kor and guilds and elementals! They evoke flavor and setting like the lines in Mad Max Fury Road, via alluding and suggesting the shape of things more than telling us "this is Jace, these are his specific feelings and his specific drama".

Weird I loved the weather light storytelling and bfz made no impression on me besides wasting perfectly good cosmic horror potential. I never got a sense of any interpersonal interaction or a moving saga from the cards or that the art on generic seeming cards were used to contribute to storytelling without saying a word.

Come to think of it I thought urzas block storytelling tricks were better but i guess you needed a decoder ring to figure out that each colour reflected a different place or time in his saga.

Oooh you mean about those boring planes walkers talking about saving the world and vampire heroes with something to lose ya that totes stinks.

What cards are you guys testing / running from this set?

Crumbling Vestige and Mirrorpool going into ULD, everything else I'm going to try out in the main cube for a bit.

captainsclaws.jpg
reflectormage.jpg
jorienruindiver.jpg
aylieternalpilgrim.jpg
eldraziobligator.jpg
immolatingglare.jpg
goblindarkdwellers.jpg
oathofnissa2.jpg
kozilekthegreatdistortion.jpg
crumblingvestige.jpg
mirrorpool.jpg
hissingquagmire.jpg