Sets [ORI] Magic Origins Spoilers

Lark shenanigans are the best. I'm slowly trying to push a Mardu "2-power or less" theme in my Cube, what with Lark and Alesha (and other cards I guess) caring about that number. Guide is the only pro-color creature in my cube I'm not actively trying to replace. One of my drafters requested it by name a while back during an expansion, and will never draft anything that doesn't include white.

Gatherer on "power 2 or less"

Looks interesting. Mentor of the Meek and Raid Bombardment seem good. Goblin Tunneler looks fringe playable. Imperial Recruiter obviously good.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Anafenza plus Hangarback Walker seems sweet!

I just played Thopters. The deck is cool, if swingy and draw dependent. I'm running it back for GP London as well.

also, I might try to get a Cube session together on Sunday at the GP for when I inevitably miss Day 2, so lmk if you feel like Cubing (if you aren't already!)

If Imperial Recruiter is in this year's Commander decks I will cry tears of joy. It's like the only Portal card I care about that hasn't already been reprinted.

Mentor of the Meek used to be in my cube, but I think Monastery Mentor replaced him and now he's in a Commander deck somewhere. I can see bringing him back in a later update alongside Imperial Recruiter.

FWIW my first Standard deck ever was something like 4-of each of the following:

+ Random chaff. And since then I don't much care for Raid Bombardment.

That was the season where Vampires, Pyromancer Ascension and Devastating Force were the big players, followed by Turbo Emrakul and Mythic Conscription. FNM (and I) sucked.

also, I might try to get a Cube session together on Sunday at the GP for when I inevitably miss Day 2, so lmk if you feel like Cubing (if you aren't already!)

I already have plans for if (when) I don't Day 2, but I'll probably be wondering around the Excel for a while if I scrub out early on Day 1.

Honored Hierarch is a beater first and foremost. The mana ability is secondary. 2/2 vigilance for one is great. Of course you need to connect once with it to get that, but run it in an RG deck and you can do that without much trouble (same deck that plays Stormblood Berserker). Later in the game when a 2/2 is useless, he gives you mana which is pretty cool and if you clear the board, he does both on the same turn.

Sometimes he never becomes renowned and is just this pointless 1/1. But he's a one drop. So what? Sometimes one drops suck. That's why they cost 1 mana.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I have been looking for more counter guys...

I dunno. I'll try it, but I worry about my assessment of the card being clouded by the better times. At least it isn't as swingy as waif

I haven't tried waif as I don't run DFC. But I don't think it's the same kind of swingy. Waif is all about your opponent. If he durdles, waif is good. If he doesn't, it sucks. You have a lot more control with hierarch. If my opponent durdles, it's easy-mode to renown-ville value town. If my opponent gets a blocker in play on T1, I still have options. I can use a removal spell to kill it and get hierarch through. Or I can choose to wait if I don't think it's worth it (and a lot of that has to do with how much value I think hierarch will bring me - as a beater or a mana elf).

I think he has a lot of play to him. He's never ridiculously good, but again he's a frickin' one drop. They can't all be gravecrawler. :)

CML

Contributor
Honored Hierarch is a beater first and foremost. The mana ability is secondary. 2/2 vigilance for one is great. Of course you need to connect once with it to get that, but run it in an RG deck and you can do that without much trouble (same deck that plays Stormblood Berserker). Later in the game when a 2/2 is useless, he gives you mana which is pretty cool and if you clear the board, he does both on the same turn.

Sometimes he never becomes renowned and is just this pointless 1/1. But he's a one drop. So what? Sometimes one drops suck. That's why they cost 1 mana.

best-case scenario

I don't like Renown guys because they're usually dead unless you play them on curve. You need to ensure that they can actually get a hit in and that's hard unless you're playing against some durdly deck or give them evasion somehow. If your opponent drops a blocker, hell even something like an Augur of Bolas T2, it'll shut down the majority of them. The only one that I've liked enough to include in my cube is Scab-Clan Berserker, and that's due to it having haste and being live every time. I don't like cards that just become shit in all but the most favorable of situations. I wish there were more evasive renown guys because it was a pretty cool limited mechanic.

So far Acolyte of the Inferno has been pretty awesome; he's even great at helping to break open boards, since he demands a big blocker to do more than chump, which can help a second guy slip by. I'm kinda testing Hierarch already; he's in our try-it pile, which is a tiny, post-draft pool drafters can pick a card out of to test in their deck after the draft to see if we like it for later cube inclusion.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
You guys have convinced me - he wasn't on my radar at all, but I'm going to give Honored Hierarch a whirl, too. I'm mostly convinced by the fact that Stromkirk Noble is boss, and renown isn't too different from his mechanic, other than having a lower ceiling. I know green isn't red, and isn't full of one-drop beaters, but Experiment One has been great, and more aggressive guys wouldn't hurt.

Also, Steward of Valeron is sweet, and {G} is way cheaper than {W}{G}!

So far Acolyte of the Inferno has been pretty awesome; he's even great at helping to break open boards, since he demands a big blocker to do more than chump, which can help a second guy slip by. I'm kinda testing Hierarch already; he's in our try-it pile, which is a tiny, post-draft pool drafters can pick a card out of to test in their deck after the draft to see if we like it for later cube inclusion.

I feel like that guy is just Hearthfire Hobgoblin but worse with pumps