General Print this Wizards! (So I can put it in my cube)

I'm generally pretty happy if they terminate my thragtusk, less happy if they terminate my Kiki but I'm probably feeling fine.

Frost titan is more interesting, but I think I'm feeling comfortable if I'm only losing 2 tempo points and it got to do something. It's more about having played a six mana thing that did nothing if they didn't want it to but catch a cheap card in their hand before it was allowed to do anything.

I think this card is a really cutesy example of that idea. So what do you think of my badass card now old pal o' mine? It doesn't do anything at all for six mana if they decide they want to terminate it, except give them a very tasty target for terminate!

I think cards that produce multiple tokens also count as passing.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I think he's sweet too. I'm not sure if he's too good, he might need to be triple green or lose trample or something, green has basically nothing like this despite how feasible it looks.

I think the reason we're spending so much time talking about the terminate test is the reason people stopped using it as a creature metric :p

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Gracewalker {2}{W}{W}
Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield, exile another target creature for as long as ~ remains on the battlefield.
Evoke {W}
2/2

Few things:
1) I want to avoid the "Bounce the Oblivion Ring" trick (respond to the exile trigger by removing the guy, thing stays exiled permanently) for the (IMO) negative rules interaction.
2) I want him to slide creatures instead of flickering them, but I'm not sure I can and support the above clause
3) I don't want him to be able to flicker/slide himself out to avoid having to pay the rest of his mana cost (If you have him slide out before the evoke sac trigger, he comes back and is treated as a new creature, so you don't have to sac him)

#3 I think is just solved by putting "another target creature" on his ETB trigger.
#1 I have solved right now, but I'm not sure how to get #2 in there and keep #1. Thoughts?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
GlacialBluffs.jpg
ShroudedCove.jpg
AshPits.jpg
AiryLowlands.jpg
HorizonCanopy.jpg
LonesomeObelisk.jpg
BoggyRuins.jpg
BountifulPools.jpg
HotSprings.jpg
DesertValley.jpg

Here's the cycle of Horizon Canopies going in my cube eventually.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Frozen Wasteland seems absurd. Really absurd. Recursion aside, is it better than Strip Mine? Unconditional land removal with the option to untap and use it for mana whenever you want.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Whoops, that's supposed to say nonbasic! Good catch Jason! :p
It essentially came about because I always felt Rishadan Port was just a little bit too expensive. I know basically any wasteland analogue is too powerful these days, but I think I like this better than wasteland, were I able to go back to tempest.

One thing I didn't notice is the interaction with Garruk Wildspeaker: Tap a land, untap ~, Tap another land, both are locked down. I'm not sure I'm okay with that.

Also, shortly after I created them I realized I'm probably never using those manlands in my cube. Archetype based fixing is one thing, but the aggro deck with that UR Manland is just sad they have to play Izzet Guildgate.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Some fun ones from the MTGS card creation contests:

Primal Avenger 4RG
When Primal Avenger ETB, destroy all nonbasic lands. Put a +1/+1 counter on Primal Avenger for each land destroyed this way.
2/2

(could probably be reduced to 5 mana?)

Master of the Oven R
R, Sacrifice a permanent: Creatures you control get +1/+0 until end of turn.
1/1

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Wow those are bonkers! I still think Desolation Angel isn't really a fun card (IE threat + Armageddon), and this guy can be cheated into play. It's also much better for him to be large and ground-poundy than evasive because being the abyss is good after a geddon. Since a 4/4 double wasteland is probably close to fair, this guy doesn't cut it at all for me.

That second guy is stronger. That's a lot of damage to be trading away lands/blocked creatures for, and a lot of finishing power on a 1 drop.
I'm not sure how fair it would be on a 4 drop creature (which is probably where an effect like this belongs), but it'd certainly be closer. I'd like it better with a more solid body, no activation, affects attacking creatures, but only be able to sacrifice creatures, kinda like a single color, size tweaked Maw of the Obzedat.

I think the one drop guy is well served by the mana cost in its ability and by the relatively low impact of each interaction. Losing a permanent for +1/+0 seems fair and even if you were losing that card anyway you still have to pay the mana and wait for the attack step to resolve which feels reasonable.

A red deck being able to tap all it's lands and give its team +4/+0 when it wants to end the game is nice but not busted and I would hope you'd have found a way to mitigate / capitalize on that opponent in your environment.

I thought I might throw this instant-classic on here because I think it's relevant to a lot of things we talk about.

Bubbling Pit
Land (R?)
When Bubbling Pit enters the battlefield you lose 1 life.
You may play Bubbling Pit from your graveyard as though it were in your hand.
{T}: Add {B} to your mana pool.

Don't you just wana crack the earth or pox or discard this to your compulsive research

Chris Taylor

Contributor
From the MTGS Thread:
Bursting Vigor {1}{R}
Enchantment
Return a permanent you control to it's owners hand: Target creature gains haste until end of turn

I love it; it enables blink, it's a psudo-fervor, It turns their killspells into bounce spells...

Actually that part might be too good. Maybe once a turn? If that mode is just actually too good we could restrict it to your turn

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Lands are hard bro.

It's probably better with the lifeloss. Put it this way: It needs something to not be better swamp, even if that's something like being legendary.
Now, the nerf involving the ETB trigger seems like the elegant way to do it, since you'll be bringing it back a lot.
It does seem like the perfect land for a utility draft though :D

Also, I think the correct templating these days is "You may play ~ from the graveyard" instead of the old crucible wording

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Random Thought:

Frenetic Researcher {U}{R}
T: Draw a card, then discard a card.
{U}{R} : Untap ~
{U}{R}{3} :Shuffle your graveyard into your library
0/1

1UR
Creature -
Flash
T: deals 1 damage to target creature or player then you draw a card and discard a card from your hand mate.
1/1