General Riptidelab mostly-custom cube attempt #1

ok who's down for this long term project for fun

thoughts:
- dont be afraid to post your ideas / opinions, even if they dont get directly used they will inevitably inspire more ideas
- lets not rehash themes that have been done to death
- dont be weird for the sake of being weird
- dont be as awfully complex as some of the other attempts at this
- dont be afraid to use reprints
- lets figure out some actual directions and themes of where to go before we just start shitting out designs
- iterative design means we have to be okay with throwing stuff out later if it isn't working
- lets try to vaguely mimic wotc card rarity in terms of complexity (not power level or anything though). and have more commons than rares or whatever. we don't have to be exact on this but i'd like to keep all this manageable.
- if people are okay with it, i'd like some vague flavor unity

ok so throw some ideas out there about what you may or may not want to see and maybe we can make something with that. go nuts. tell me what you guys like

jason was talking about really liking land and top of the library themes, that could be an interesting direction?

i've personally done artifacts and the graveyard to death in my own project so i'd prefer not to focus on those

i'd like a sprinkingly of tribal for flavor (think theros or a toned down version of innistrad) but it is also very done to death so yeah.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I don't have a single designer bone in me, so I'll strictly be observing, but this sounds really cool, anotak. Looking forward to seeing what comes out of this!

Is it possible to try and make a R/U spells matter thing happen? We can attempt to cross over wizard with 'incidentals'? The good thing about tribal, and some of us do it here already, we cna take existing cards, and change their card types to make tribal happen more.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Doomspawner 2BB
Creature - Zombie
At the end of your turn, if a creature died this turn, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield, then each opponent loses life equal to the number of zombies you control.
3/3

Weak zombie tribal that doesn't need other zombies to be good?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking, is there a way we can make it more interesting of a decision on when people crack fetchlands? Some sort of Bloodthirst-esque mechanic?

For the beginning it's probably most useful to focus on establishing an approximate mechanical space with appropriate overlaps, and dig into specific card design later.

oh unless anyone has any objections, lets aim for 360 cards.

Doomspawner 2BB
Creature - Zombie
At the end of your turn, if a creature died this turn, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield, then each opponent loses life equal to the number of zombies you control.
3/3

Weak zombie tribal that doesn't need other zombies to be good?
we have to be really careful/limited with tribal stuff, keep in mind that players will have to look at all their cards and go "oh was this a zombie?". its a lot to keep track of.

I was thinking, is there a way we can make it more interesting of a decision on when people crack fetchlands? Some sort of Bloodthirst-esque mechanic?
how would that be different from the landfall on searing blaze for example?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
oh unless anyone has any objections, lets aim for 360 cards.

we have to be really careful/limited with tribal stuff, keep in mind that players will have to look at all their cards and go "oh was this a zombie?". its a lot to keep track of.

how would that be different from the landfall on searing blaze for example?

I have an objection to creating 360 unique cards. Imagine how much reading you do the first time you draft a set, perhaps even after browsing through the visual spoiler. It's a huge complexity / barrier to entry burden.

Uh, I was thinking of things that say like "if an opponent lost life this turn, ____", likely on instants. It's not really a well formed idea. I like how landfall (well, fetches) and top of library play together, and would want more angles.

Say what you will about Theros, many of the mechanics connected in super interesting ways.

I have an objection to creating 360 unique cards. Imagine how much reading you do the first time you draft a set, perhaps even after browsing through the visual spoiler. It's a huge complexity / barrier to entry burden.
i meant 360 including lands and reprints

Uh, I was thinking of things that say like "if an opponent lost life this turn, ____", likely on instants. It's not really a well formed idea. I like how landfall (well, fetches) and top of library play together, and would want more angles.

Say what you will about Theros, many of the mechanics connected in super interesting ways.
that actually sounds like it could work pretty well, maybe could have a life payment theme elsewhere?

what makes a lands theme not just be zendikar 2?

what does a life payment theme work with? fateful hour? that one seems a little blegh.

what does a top-of-the-library theme actually look like? without being like kamigawa. ew. also please don't say clash.
does scry fit with that or does it need to be brainstormy effects
how about cascade? cascade is a sweet mechanic. or is that just inherently too messy when you're actually able to stack this stuff at all
most of the cards with miracle are badly designed but i think if perhaps the cards were closer in cost regular vs miracle or are cards you don't always want to cast? i dunno. i kind of dislike this mechanic

man kamigawa seems related it has a little going on with this with the whole lands-in-hand and lands-on-top-of-library thing kamigawa did.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Difference between zendikar is we can play with fetches more. Make Leonin Arbiter style effects. Care about life loss timing by putting Bloodthirst on spells to force players to care about life loss. Maybe you could have a trigger that says "if a player lost life this turn".

Incidental top of library stuff like Mul Days Chsnnelers and Courser.

phyrexian mana is dangerous because color pie stuff but if we want to go down that route we can.

its possible to make good fair storm cards for cube but its pretty narrow and i dont think its worth it (after having done it)

"Maybe you could have a trigger that says "if a player lost life this turn"." so like sygg?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I posted a bunch of equipment with Phyrexian mana in the other thread. Seemed pretty neat actually.

Do we want enough effects like Courser of Kruphix in the cube that we're just playing with the top card of our library revealed all the time? Maybe optional triggers?

Stranglevine Elemental 1GG
Creature - Elemental
When ~ enters the battlefield and when it deals combat damage to an opponent, you may look at the top card of your library. If it's a land card, you may reveal it and have ~ fight target creature.
3/3

we could but that's sort of really weird because it is unconnected to everything else

if we did enchantments as a subtheme it wouldnt have to be a huge thing like it is in theros. it could be like zendikar's equip subtheme. but i also don't see how enchantments would connect to anything

basically including it is a complexity issue of its own because then its like "whys this one guy an enchantment"