General Riptidelab mostly-custom cube attempt #1

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Buyback is the ultimate "returning" mechanic of course. Oh wait, returning returning mechanics you say... :)

Uh... I love flashback, entwine, proliferate, ninjutsu, provoke, overload, channel, cycling, splice onto (anything but arcane plzthnx)

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
My vote would be for flashback and cycling/scry: one empowers the late game, the other the early game.

That being said, this should probably be dictated a bit by flavor. If its wizards exploring mysterious ruins, unearth or flashback would make sense. If there is some tribe of mystics trying to peer into the future, scry works.

For what's been described so far, landfall and scry seem to make the most sense.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Scry isn't too synergistic with fetching though. E.g. Ponder + Fetchlands = fun times, Preordain + Fetchlands = meh.

I think you're all in crazy town. For the cost of a free edict, see:
Gatekeeper of Malakir, Consuming Vapors, Fleshbag Marauder. We can all be glib here. And can any of you remember the last deck you played that was counting on playing the flashback on that dated old gem?

I just think Bookmark in general is a horrible mechanic. Imagine starting each game with a hand of 11 cards, but four of them you can't look at, you just have to remember what they do. Except when you get to cast them, then you can look them up and figure out whether you want to cast them. I just seems like a major headache to play with, bogging down every search your library action (which already cost enough time as is). Also, every time you draw a new card, you have to figure out it's impact on the current game state. If you draw a fetchland (or other search effect), suddenly you don't have to figure out one card, you have to figure out the impact of all Bookmark cards you play as well. Without getting to look at the cards.

Lol, remember we have control here. I think you both are being kinda reactionary. This is a closed environment. I'm sure you can remember 5 potential bookmark cards out of a 360 card cube of which you are potentially playing 0-2. Remember part of the idea here was to try things out that were sort of impossible with wotc restrictions. Why not? Why not take a look and see what it does? We've all played decks that "Go Off" and find things in their library and will pretty much always be playing them (imagine sensei top + shuffle decks without the constant fiddling), this is like that but we have incredible heaps more control what we're allowing. How much "Search your library" do you actually think there will be in this set. This ability reminds me more of Arcane or Miracle than the 4 free spells in your sideboard that you lot are tense about.

I also implore all you chicken littles excited about my Innocent Blood to remember that none of these are set in stone. Slap a cost of 6 onto the bookmark for all I care, jesus. These steps are design not development. You don't have to play against these cards as is. Use your imagination. Or I guess we can just settle for landfall and life payment and I can make sure whenever I propose an idea it's already vetted for everyone's sensibilities and you lot won't have to think at all and just nod.

How much of an issue do you guys have with

Study Session {U}
Instant
Draw a card
Bookmark {2}{U}

5 simple bookmark effects. You have control too, it's not all my baby, tweak it how you think, but lets give it time to tweak. One for each colour. You can make the bookmark cost very colour heavy if you like to prevent one deck getting 3.

Or say a bookmark shock? Is this hard to think about? To remember? Does it have big confusing decisions implicit on the boardstate and the way you spend your mana when you add a card into the draft that allows you to pay 3 mana to tack on shock to one of your 3 library search effects?
Part of the fun here is we don't need to make all these effects the sort of thing wotc is comfortable with. We are sculpting a closed environment with pretty rigid sets of givens, like a small boardgame, not making cards with wide and varied impacts, lets mix it up a little right? Seems like a wasted opportunity not to. I don't just want this to be brainstorm + landfall guy + futuresight + fetch cube. I'm kinda more interested in getting weird.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Sorry, I was totally evaluating it's merits as an ability that has to see print. I still really don't like the mechanic from that point of view. I agree though that in a cube you have much, much more control over your draft environment. One Bookmark card per color stapled onto a basic effect is not that bad in terms of memory issues and bogging down the game whenever a library is searched. I did assume an environment with a lot of library search, otherwise the ability is pretty moot, and I think that still goes even if you only include a handful of Bookmark cards.

Study Session seems weakish. I would also like it if these cards were base sorceries, so that search effects at instant speed let you cast these without their normal timing restrictions, gaining value. How about...

Fanatic Followers {1}{W}
Sorcery
Put two 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens onto the battlefield.
Bookmark {2}{W}{W}

Study Session {2}{U}
Sorcery
Draw two cards.
Bookmark {3}{U}{U}

Nervous Breakdown {1}{B}
Sorcery
Target player sacrifices a creature.
Bookmark {2}{B}{B}

Psychic Spark {R}
Sorcery
Psychic Spark deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
Bookmark {1}{R}{R}

Mental Toughness {G}
Sorcery
Target creature you control gets +3/+3 until end of turn.
Bookmark {1}{G}{G}

Rules question: Can you use the land you search for with a fetchland to pay for a Bookmark cost?

Edit:
I know a deck that would for

Filthy Ritual {1}{R}
Sorcery
Add {R}{R}{R} to your mana pool.
Bookmark {2}{R}{R}

Sure it loses you net mana, but spells you can cast from your library? A wet dream for storm!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Gatekeeper of Malakir, Consuming Vapors, Fleshbag Marauder. We can all be glib here. And can any of you remember the last deck you played that was counting on playing the flashback on that dated old gem?

I like your arguments, but perhaps not your examples.

The key thing with Bookmark is that it does not cost a card. The only cost is mana. A cheap, tutorable edict that costs no card is a very dangerous thing. There are potential ways to offset it, e.g. making a high cost on either end, and maybe that would be something worth exploring.

One big question is if players should be expected to play around such effects. This was driving my earlier land cycle:

Swamp
When <cardname> enters the battlefield you may sacrifice a creature. If you do, draw a card.

Mountain
When <cardname> enters the battlefield, target creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn.

Plains
When <cardname> enters the battlefield, something something. 1 damage prevention? These should be effects that work at instant and sorcery speed.

Island
When <cardname> enters the battlefield, target creature gains flying until end of turn. Or Scry 1? I have a question of whether these should be combat tricks or just positive benefits that affect you. Should your opponent need to play differently based on what fetchlands you have uncracked? Seems cool. "He has a Polluted Delta open, what should I do?"

Forest
When <cardname> enters the battlefield, do something green. Trample?

Do you want players to play differently when their opponent has a fetchland un-cracked? I think it can add depth, but it can also add headache. Maybe that's something worth testing.

BONUS:
The other thing I would ask you guys to do is try just slotting some of these cards into your regular cubes. See how they play. Show them to your drafters before you make packs, so they're aware of them. I think we're a long way from proxying up any drafts, but our existing cubes should provide good testing information.

Lol, remember we have control here. I think you both are being kinda reactionary. This is a closed environment. I'm sure you can remember 5 potential bookmark cards out of a 360 card cube of which you are potentially playing 0-2. Remember part of the idea here was to try things out that were sort of impossible with wotc restrictions. Why not? Why not take a look and see what it does? We've all played decks that "Go Off" and find things in their library and will pretty much always be playing them (imagine sensei top + shuffle decks without the constant fiddling), this is like that but we have incredible heaps more control what we're allowing. How much "Search your library" do you actually think there will be in this set. This ability reminds me more of Arcane or Miracle than the 4 free spells in your sideboard that you lot are tense about.

I also implore all you chicken littles excited about my Innocent Blood to remember that none of these are set in stone. Slap a cost of 6 onto the bookmark for all I care, jesus. These steps are design not development. You don't have to play against these cards as is. Use your imagination. Or I guess we can just settle for landfall and life payment and I can make sure whenever I propose an idea it's already vetted for everyone's sensibilities and you lot won't have to think at all and just nod.

How much of an issue do you guys have with

Study Session {U}
Instant
Draw a card
Bookmark {2}{U}

5 simple bookmark effects. You have control too, it's not all my baby, tweak it how you think, but lets give it time to tweak. One for each colour. You can make the bookmark cost very colour heavy if you like to prevent one deck getting 3.

Or say a bookmark shock? Is this hard to think about? To remember? Does it have big confusing decisions implicit on the boardstate and the way you spend your mana when you add a card into the draft that allows you to pay 3 mana to tack on shock to one of your 3 library search effects?
Part of the fun here is we don't need to make all these effects the sort of thing wotc is comfortable with. We are sculpting a closed environment with pretty rigid sets of givens, like a small boardgame, not making cards with wide and varied impacts, lets mix it up a little right? Seems like a wasted opportunity not to. I don't just want this to be brainstorm + landfall guy + futuresight + fetch cube. I'm kinda more interested in getting weird.
"I'm sure you can remember 5 potential bookmark cards out of a 360 card cube"
no, people can't.
people very rarely look at the whole cube before they draft it, they see it pack by pack and opponent and by opponent. people should not be expected to look at the whole cube list.
and people shouldn't be expected to remember them to just have a fun experience. i think you massively overestimate people's memories. and having it be a named mechanic just gives the impression that there are more than 5 cards with it. there is plenty we can do that wotc can't do, but there also is plenty we cannot touch simply because we are a custom card set and we will be held to higher standards than wotc, in some categories.

my objections have nothing to do with mana cost. nothing to do with mana cost. as is, it will not be fun for most players costing 6 and it will not be fun costing 1.

i'm okay for getting weirder, but we should have reasons and good directions to go in as opposed to just weird for the sake of weird.

I guess Chris Taylor and the others missed the earlier posts on this subject?
let's weigh the pros and cons of the panglacial mechanic

pros
1) searching matters??
2) it's never really been done before i guess???
3) no idea
cons
1) generally confusing
2) confusing/bad rules issues with library order (milikin / chromatic star)
3) confusing/bad rules issues if you try to pay with non-mana abilities (deathrite shaman)
4) repetitive gamestates
5) having to play around cards that aren't in a player's hand doesn't seem like the best gameplay
6) it is always correct to run the card if it is on color despite the offchance that you might draw it because it turns all the fetchlands in your deck into a free cantrip potentially
7) it violates magic's resource system. there are reasons to do this, but they should be good reasons
8) it is weird for the sake of being weird.
9) it is some real Custom Card Stuff, the type of stuff that people think of when they think of custom card forums on other sites.
10) what does this even do in the context of the set, is searching matters what we want?

4, 8, and 9 are probably the biggest issues here by far

you never really addressed any of this

Literally days ago, I only recently started playing :p

It must be either a weird bug, or you are mistaken then. Weapons are NOT spells in HS, not ever.

I am not on board with the whole "let's synergize with fetchlands!" thing. Aren't fetchlands good enough already? Do you want fetchlands to be higher picks than everything else in the cube? A few landfall cards are okay, but using fetchlands to turn double-shock into triple-shock seems a little bonkers. And yeah, bookmark is most likely broken.

Returning mechanics? Morph is a favorite of mine, but 2/2s for 3 probably aren't going to work. Proliferate could be awesome if the cube is designed around it. Level Up could really use some higher-power cards. Devotion was a fun mechanic, and it felt like it could have more cards.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
"I'm sure you can remember 5 potential bookmark cards out of a 360 card cube"
no, people can't.
people very rarely look at the whole cube before they draft it, they see it pack by pack and opponent and by opponent. people should not be expected to look at the whole cube list.
You are completely missing his point here, which is that drafter will end up with only 1 or 2 Bookmark cards in their deck, and remembering those should not be a problem. Not knowing the Bookmark cards in a cube is no more of a problem than not knowing other cards in the cube.

I agree that it's a bad mechanic in the abstract, but I can also see why Lucre wants to try out a few cards with this mechanic.

In light of this I don't agree with you major cons. Putting it on simple, 'common' cards means repetitive game states aren't really an issue. If drawing cards or dealing 2 damage or some such small (but playable) effect happens every game, no one will bat an eyelash. It's also not weird for the sake of being weird. The ability itself is elegantly worded and plays well in a cube that emphasizes searching your library for cards. The custom cube stuff isn't even an issue. If your drafters are up for a custom cube, they should be able to stomach an elegantly worded ability like this (if well developed, in the design and development sense of the word). I fear custom cubes because of badly developed cards like planeswalkers that are more powerful than JtMS and Elspeth, Knight Errant put together.

All of this hinges on the way Bookmark cards are developed of course. I think this concept only works if you support it with some searching matters mechanics, cost the cards appropriately, and keep their numbers down.

Interesting examples of cards that could enable a searching matters theme:

Clairvoyant Cleric {2}{W}
Creature - Human Cleric
When Clairvoyant Cleric enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a white card and exile it. If you do, gain life equal to that card's converted casting cost. Then shuffle your library.
1/4

Reprint:
Quiet Speculation

Stolen and lightly altered from somewhere above:
Forbidden Arts {2}{B}{B}
Sorcery
Choose one - Put target black creature card from your graveyard onto the battlefield; or search your library for a black card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

You Only Live Twice {4}{R}
Sorcery
Flashback {R}
Search your library for a card, put that card into your hand, discard a card at random, then shuffle your library.

Verdant Farseer {1}{G}
Creature - Elf Druid
When Verdant Farseer enters the battlefield, you may search your library for up to two basic land cards and exile them, then shuffle your library.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put target land card from your exile zone onto the battlefield tapped.
1/1

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Not to get in the way of the custom card fun, but I think you guys really need to have a better idea on what type of environment you want before you can get anywhere. You know, like: multi-color set, graveyard set, land matters, big mana management set, artifact set ect. Advanced sets should be like courses in particular aspects of magic theory, and the supporting mechanics and custom mechanics should be tied to that.

It seems like you guys are pushing towards "library manipulation set," which is fine (albeit kind of expected), and works well with a tasteful wizard tribal subtheme (if you can design other tribes). The big concern i.m.o is going to be how you keep blue from being the dominent color. Lucre's idea of having a mill and self-mill theme seems like a really good idea, as it intersects very nicely with library manipulation effects, and pushes towards flashback as a mechanic. You can run fetchlands, which is fine support for a library manipulaton set, but that dosen't mean you need to take on a landfall theme, which overall seems disconnected from the rest of the set.

Also, regarding memory issues, I had a player a month ago try to cast demonic tutor as an instant. He wasn't trying to cheat, he just forgot. This is a guy that has been playing magic since 1996. You get some more casual (or older) players in your playgroup, and memory issues start to become a problem. There also are some players that just hate shuffling, so that might be an issue.

Oh man where do I start Katona.
I think I just decided not to call you a big baby because I like you, and I consider a lot of the things you brought up there a fault finding mission.
You're meager attempt at presenting the pros compared to the extensive and rather unswaying nitpicky array of faults really just told me you were gonna be a stick in the mud no matter what and that I might as well dismiss things like your milikin issues off hand (which I did with good grace and trying my best to be informative).

Okay I'm going to hide most of my points so that no one has to see it that doesn't want to but I'll leave this new version here if anyone wants to think about it:

Bookmark {2}{U} (Whenever you search your library you may IMMEDIATELY pay this card's bookmark cost and exile it face up. If you do until end of turn you may play this card without paying it's mana cost)

1) Okay well, do you really imagine there being serious issues here? With your milikins and your DRS? In our closed boardgame style environment? You planning on putting something so "weird for the sake of weird" as milikin in there? Real library order interactions that have to be resolved before an ability or spell can finish resolution? This is the biggest marker of ill will I see here, and I hope it's not intentional. To play ball here you just have to be willing and use your imagination the smallest bit and all I see you using it for is looking for reasons to shut my (admit it, it's pretty neat) idea down. Can we just not include assinine cards like milikin that suck and feel insane anyway? And I have no idea why DRS would be such an issue. If you can't use it's ability in the middle of normal ability / spell playing you'd be expected to have used it to make mana earlier in the phase like any dumb similar situation.

Okay do we all know how madness interacts with frantic search? Can't we imagine a similar situation with this? We declare this card is in the process of being discarded and our INTENT to cast it via it's madness cost, we set it aside we look at our resources, our buddy says "HEY WAIT YOU DOLT YOU ISNT GOT THREE LANDS FOR THAT WURM!" You calmly reply that you have to finish resolving the effects currently processing before you can get into your new spell resolution process. You proceed to untap your three lands, your opponent smiles serenely as understanding dawns upon him and you both go back to your discussion of the last weeks episode of Game of Thrones.

Now the real difference here is that Madness presupposes a new state for your dumbass card to default to if you fail to pay the madness cost, which I'm sure would not be an issue in most paper games of a custom form of magic that you play with your friends who you probably designed or tested your standalone game with. Your card is already on it's way to the discard pile and it can just continue on it's way there or you can have a judge called on your or whatever, normal stuff right? My card is a little more tricky, as it wasn't necessarily going anywhere. I guess if you failed to pay the bookmark cost after you finished your search you could just shuffle it back in. Maybe it needs to say that! Maybe it just fizzles and exiles itself lol. For simplicity sake it could be necessary to say, you have to pay the bookmark while you search, making sure your mana is in the pool when you begin the search, and that the spell is then playable for free from exile. There are a lot of workarounds here and that's why I think it's so funny you aren't helping me out here more. It's not like I'm going to drop it. You think that long list of complaints scared me off the trail before? If it's mainly silly technical things (That will probably never come up and be dealt with among friends) that are bothering you, maybe you'll love the card when it's all cleared up and you get to play with it!

Bookmark {2}{U} (Whenever you search your library you may IMMEDIATELY pay this card's bookmark cost and exile it face up. If you do until end of turn you may play this card without paying it's mana cost)

And before you jump down my throat about how it makes things weird with timing that can be edited too. These are all ideas, I'm sure if you put a dash of effort into trying to enable the intent rather than admonishing the letter we could find something you'd be happy with. I remind you guys, in my day landfall would not have worked because lands coming into play could not interact with the stack until they printed like vinelasher and rethought it.

2) Okay, repetitive gamestates. I gotcha. While we are at it lets go back down to 1 copy or maybe even no copies of brainstorm and maybe apply singleton principle to the cube over again (modern banned 2 good cantrips for how repetitive they could force games). Card regrowth and tutors are a repetitive blemish too. Red should probably have a third of the burn spells it currently does. Okay enough jokes, but seriously, we are talking about creating a future sight + Brainstorm + shuffle environment and you are barking into my ear about how awful it would be if people could splice a cantrip into their rampant growth or fetchland from time to time? Like lets talk about Green Sun's Zenith or fucking birthing pod for chist sakes. We aren't talking about marvel vs system here. Being able to ensure access to certain effects and give decks access to certain types of extra cards on the regular is one of the strongest principles of modern cube and limited design.

Like Splice and Retrace have a lot in common with this ability, while yes, mine is a little weirder and tends to be played a less of a loss, you also have to remember it isn't repetitive, and for the most part you will only be getting a very simple spells worth from it. It's not like we can't adjust the cost of bookmark cards too. Maybe they require a discard?

3) No, people can't remember. They Shouldn't even have to look. Okay are we still talking about making a custom cube here or what? People are gonna wana hear about the nuances and specifics of your custom cube and see the sweet new cards they want to scoop up or be terrified of. When they realize it's a shock you can play from your fetchland for 3 mana they might even be relieved. If they aren't into looking at new cards then maybe you have found the wrong people to play with. This is an eminently grockable ability to anyone that is trying in the least. "I can't cube with multiples because my cubers don't believe that is cube" "My cubers believe cube is a draft format made up of magic's most powerful cards, they expect upheaval to be in there." I'm really sorry for you mate, I wish things were better for you. I guess we could pander to these people but I don't think I have too much of that in me.

4) Weird for the sake of weird. Well I don't really know what to think of that. We've all discussed fetch lands that were kinda also spells before. This is just a little different than that. Some of my favourite mechanics are weird for the sake of weird when they came out, or might have been to a conservative. I was just exploring new terrain and the more I thought about it, the better it seemed to fit. Maybe not here, but I figured so long as they were low impact it would be fine.

5) Real custom card stuff? Woah you mean like the kind you'd find in a custom cube, the kind that you shape unique environments around? Get me the fuck outta here man, how did I end up here!? But in all seriousness, yes it's a little left field, but no, if you go about designing this with the sort of MARO principles where you don't give them too much to fuck with their understanding their new complicated ability (SAY MILIKIN), it becomes pretty simple. Within a couple drafts people will be looking at these cards like "lite-conspiracies" or "splice into fetchland" and get it pretty quickly. If theres a timing issue, take your friend aside when he does something stupid and tell him if he wants to cast his bookmark with his DRS he has to make the mana before the search is resolving etc. Lots of little misshaps have happened even because of inspired resolution timing, it's not that crazy to have to learn some nuance in a format like CUBE. We are using player knowledge here.

And for real? When people think of custom card stuff they don't think of a finely tuned environment built around dynamics and principles they think of dumbass planeswalkers and commander fodder. Or cards meant to shore up issues or fix things in standard that stick out like a sore thumb. At least that's what I think of and friends of mine. Most people don't think of pan-glacial wurm. They think of either an absolute mess Dwarf Lord or slightly tweaked version of existing spells.

Conclusion) Okay so I'm like supes sorry for being such an utter cad through this but I really hate having to write posts like this where I have to address a million points and offer a million potential fixes because it's physically exhausting of my god given day and there is always more criticism to be had to someone who isn't willing to hold my hand for a little bit and try to see what I'm trying to make. Can you really not see how this fits into the current ideas for this set pretty well? Especially if it's low impact? I'm sorry but I really will have a hard time drumming up interest for this environment if it's landfall guys redux + courser and brainstorm. Lets just play Jason's cube and save ourselves the time of designing comes into play abilities for lands stapled to small creatures.

Bruskly raising these issues is a lot easier than responding to them in print. Especially when it's more the attitudes surrounding these issues I have to respond to and less the letter of them because as I said, this is all early design days bros. Please take up some of the slack and help me. Suggestions for me or at least a new concept of your own whenever criticism is leveled?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
People! Please stop posting negative comments and give Lucre some time to address the constructive replies! :p

Not to get in the way of the custom card fun, but I think you guys really need to have a better idea on what type of environment you want before you can get anywhere. You know, like: multi-color set, graveyard set, land matters, big mana management set, artifact set ect. Advanced sets should be like courses in particular aspects of magic theory, and the supporting mechanics and custom mechanics should be tied to that.
Nah. You're thinking of set design. Cube design doesn't need as much of an identity. It can have one of course, but mechanics can be more insular. As long as they interact with some of the other mechanics it's fine. Landfall interacts with fetchlands which interact with search matters which interacts with um... Well, you catch my drift, no?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Nah. You're thinking of set design. Cube design doesn't need as much of an identity. It can have one of course, but mechanics can be more insular. As long as they interact with some of the other mechanics it's fine. Landfall interacts with fetchlands which interact with search matters which interacts with um... Well, you catch my drift, no?

Controversy! i.m.o a cube benefits from a strong overall design goal, especially a custom cube where you are a spending a lot of time brewing up ideas. Even here, you're basically making a "library manipulation" cube, as evidenced by the mechanics you're focusing on. The risk by focusing on more insular mechanics, is when your mechanic chain results in unfun games, contradicts itself, or is too tangential to be impactful (which is a risk I think you are running with landfall).

Also, kind of echoing Lucre here, I just kind of was expecting a deeper use of mechanics to shape an environment. You know like, "we will use flashback cards to give aggro decks staying power in the late game and have our format tempo focused," or "lets include levelers as a completely unique way to make aggro decks part of a mass mana management experience." If you are just chaining mechanics together because of loose connections, imo you are moving around blindly in the design space. How can you know if any of your proposed mechanic chain will have the impact on the format that you wish, when you don't even really know what format you are trying to build?

We've been asked a couple times about theme and design ideas so I thought I might say something:

I like the idea of doing something with this that I would probably not see out of regular wizards products or things I didn't have enough tools to build cubes around. Jason and Anotak really put some momentum in me centering around themes of the library, tying that to low impact shuffle effects, which in turn tied nicely to making lands interesting, which is another longstanding area of interest of mine.

I don't want to get too deeply into my vision right now but I like lands taking on more value, I like things being able to have value from different zones and I like when the game incentivizes you to do something other than what is usual with your resources. Now I have no interest in reinventing the wheel here. I know the normal unquestioned parts of magic keep us sane while playing it, I just like the idea that in this closed environment we have opportunities to try stuff out.

• Shuffling and searching are very similar and both help this brainstorm / future sight theme, but in the distinction between them we have the opportunity to capitalize and make some sweet ass library search riders.
  • Fetchlands already support a graveyard with incidental cards in it, the idea of holding lands till they are useful, resetting your top and thinning your deck
  • Milling helps play with your library and adds some pressure as your library as a resource. It also contributes to this graveyard we seem to be filling up anyway that we've all enjoyed playing around in the past.
  • Landfall loves fetchlands and things like courser. A big graveyard and landfall can go pretty far together if you have any sort of way of replaying your lands.
  • The more lands that are zipping around form zone to zone at your own bidding, and being purposefully interacted with by you, the less scary stonerain feels.
  • Time and time again we've prove the graveyard is a great way to provide slow regulated advantage. Usually it takes some work to get graveyards working for you, and a card with a permanent type and then a graveyard rider isn't giving you all it's advantage at the same time. It's transforming, not usually accumulating. Your genesis is not at once both a raise dead and a 4/4.
  • If we want to be shuffling a lot, and rebuying our lands seems at least moderately interesting and fun anyway (especially as a shitty extra card to tack onto spells for card advantage reasons) then spell lands and things that like it when you discard a land or check for lands in hand might also be neat. It doesn't have to be a million of that sort of thing, just enough to test it and make it sort of thematic.
  • Spells that Beacon or Dawn themselves back into your own library become more interesting
  • Spells that shuffle your or your opponents cards from graveyard or other areas into the library become more interesting too due to any grave themes and any any top of the library themes.
  • With fetchlands things and coming into play and leaving play a lot going to and from lots of different zones and I think that is something we can capitalize on.
  • Landstorm seems like a lot of fun if it is regulated. I like the idea of doubling basic effects and that one of the spells is not technically being played from hand.
Thanks yall, please ask if there's anything to clarify! What parts of this seem neat to you, which seem dross and why?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Ok, now we are moving into my cube's territory, which is very much based on shuffling, top of library (TOL) interactions, milling and graveyard use.

I will provide a few thoughts from experience, to compare with lucre's ideas, and than you guys can decide where you want to go. You don't have to use any of this, it’s just a data point if you decide you want to go down that route.

In my experience, for this to work, you need the following:

1) shuffle triggers
2) TOL benefits
3) TOL disrupters

You probably want to have more ways to trigger shuffles than just fetchlands. The TOL benefits I run are TOL tutors (vamp/lim-dul's vault) and future sight effects. The disrupters I run are targeted shuffler's (krosan reclamation) and mill effects (ghoulcaller's bell). Cards like ghoulcaller's bell are really interesting with the future sight effects, because you can basically control the opponent’s draw. If you really want to explore a unique space, this is one, because with cards like mul daya channelers (that buff based on TOL) the bell player is basically in a position of choosing whether to deny the opponent card advantage, or grant them tempo. TOL cards like that would actually be a really cool space to explore, as it quantifies the concepts of tempo and card advantage in a unique way and lets you interact with them.

If you are going to go this route, two natural mechanics to look at are threshold and flashback. These are both great mechanics, but will shape your format. Threshold provides a way for cards to scale as the game progresses, providing a form of card advantage. However, it requires players to be constantly counting graveyards, which they may not like. It also rewards activity, so it’s somewhat skewed towards the tempo end of the spectrum.

Flashback provides another way to provide a form of late game card advantage, however, you probably don't want to be running competing draw engines like thirst for knowledge and its ilk as that makes people less dependent on the yard (unless you DO want that, of course). Flashback also provides a way to enable tempo strategies because it gives those decks late game relevance. But than maybe you guys want a more traditional card advantage format, I don't know.

Also, kind of echoing Lucre here, I just kind of was expecting a deeper use of mechanics to shape an environment. You know like, "we will use flashback cards to give aggro decks staying power in the late game and have our format tempo focused," or "lets include levelers as a completely unique way to make aggro decks part of a mass mana management experience." If you are just chaining mechanics together because of loose connections, imo you are moving around blindly in the design space. How can you know if any of your proposed mechanic chain will have the impact on the format that you wish, when you don't even really know what format you are trying to build?

I love this. I think it's early days to be thinking about what elements will support what gameplay, but I'm really glad it's in someone's mind. I guess I'm more excited about seeing how I can broaden gameplay, and I need to look more closely into figuring out how to integrate these things into archetypes and how they will power decks.

• Fetchlands + cantrips (brainstorm etc) do enable threshold really nicely. It is kinda a flat ability though.
  • I was also thinking a great way to force players to rely more on their graveyard and library stuff is making the hand a sort of unsafe place.
  • I know we are making this more like a set than normal cubes are, so we want to slim down on the mechanics and themes present, but I think there is probably still a lot of room for mechanics that cubers and magic players have a lot of familiarity with. The sort of thing seasoned magic players have seen more than once and seem sort of setting generic like say flashback or say kicker. I'm not sure how much this will over complicate things though.
A couple of cards while I can remember them
We know what gold tokens do right?

Wealthy Port (Cycle)
Land
Wealthy Port enters the battlefield tapped.
When Wealthy Port enters the battlefield you may return a land you control to it's owner's hand, if you do put a Gold artifact token into play.
{T}: Add {U} to your mana pool.

This could easily be an island guys. It's a much more flexible, lower impact bounceland.

Tallyman {1}{W}
Creature - Human
Vigilance
When Tallyman enters the battlefield you may return a permanent you control to your hand. If you do put a Gold artifact token into play.
2/2

Traveling Bureaucrat {1}{W}
Creature - Human
When Traveling Bureaucrat enters the battlefield if you control fewer lands than an opponent, tap target permanent, it does not untap during it's controllers next untap step.
2/2

Saint's Day Miracle {1}{W}{W}
Instant
Choose up to one land card and one creature card put into your graveyard from play this turn, return those permanents to play and exile Saint's Day Miracle.

Costly Informant {1}{B}
Creature - Human Rogue
When Costly Informant enters the battlefield reveal the top card of your library, you may pay life equal to it's converted mana cost and put it into your hand.
2/1

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
The exciting thing about threshold is that its ripe for an update. Even in my cube, the modern flashback cards really outclass most of the old threshold cards, and i've often wondered how a set with updated threshold would look. Of course, the problem is a sense of "playing in the yard." Unearth is another mechanic that is ripe for exploration.

I would also love to see creatures with seer abilities similar to mul daya channelers, that "transform" based on what is TOL. It gives information, a huge motivation to control the TOL, and creates a tension between board advantage and resources in hand.

The gold token cards are interesting, and it seems like there are a few directions you could take the concept: as a way to make up for tempo loss on a high CC spell, to make up for the tempo loss on bouncing a permenent (as you've done here), or as a sort of "fixed" eldrazi spawn that can't clog the board. I really like costly informant, but I think I would make it a must rather than a may. As an aside, it would be a cool unearth card, say with 2{B} unearth cost: sort of a black think twice.

What did you have in mind for attacking the hand? I think thats a good component to have, since it pushes people towards the yard and to "hide" things TOL. I love cards like brain maggot, but some sort of updated treacherous urge effect would probably be the most brutal way to push someone into that direction.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Controversy! i.m.o a cube benefits from a strong overall design goal, especially a custom cube where you are a spending a lot of time brewing up ideas.

The end goal is a cube that is a pleasure to draft and play with. A strong overal design goal isn't necessarily conducive to that goal. One need only look at the myriad of tribal cubes that have a strong theme, but often weak play since a tribes, for the most part, don't overlap.

I think a bottom-up design, starting with brewing up mechanics we like, can result in a very nice cube, as long as we manage to interlock mechanics and design space to create an environment with enough overlap between strategies that tabling desirable cards is not a given.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Controversy! i.m.o a cube benefits from a strong overall design goal, especially a custom cube where you are a spending a lot of time brewing up ideas. Even here, you're basically making a "library manipulation" cube, as evidenced by the mechanics you're focusing on. The risk by focusing on more insular mechanics, is when your mechanic chain results in unfun games, contradicts itself, or is too tangential to be impactful (which is a risk I think you are running with landfall).

I agree with the idea of having strong design goals, but I also think some of these (e.g. aggro-flashback) will flesh out later. There's a lot that will be unknown for a while.

I agree with the idea of having strong design goals, but I also think some of these (e.g. aggro-flashback) will flesh out later. There's a lot that will be unknown for a while.
Waddz what do you think of gold tokens?

How do you guys figure we could incorporate top of library stuff without either giving people too much in the way of bulk cards, too many interaction heavy decisions (top in limited people) or leaning too heavily on "Ooops Value" ideas like miracle or domri. Getting the top of library or library in general to interact with the zones you can see (graveyard or play) is the biggest challenge.

What does everyone also think about land storm? How do we limit it's potential while still making the unkicked card draft worthy? Did you guys like my version where it is only capable of copying itself once?

Limited level fodder we could easily boost:

{3}{U}
Instant
Put target creature or spell on top of it's owner's library.

I wana challenge everyone to make a cares about library card. Courser and oracle are monsters but I'm sure we can do something of more tempered power level.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Loam Nurturer {G}
Creature - Elf Druid
{1}{G}, {T}: Put the bottom card of your library into your graveyard. If it's a land card, put it onto the battlefield tapped.
1/2

I'm gonna devote a little time to making a bunch of top of library ideas for this project again soon but I had a couple thoughts before I feel like responding to my own call for ideas:

- In broad strokes kindles and rune snags sort of collecter effects have synergy with shuffle and card selection mechanics and are also graveyard sensitive and interactive.
- I think it's smart to think about where you could see library interaction or land interaction on simple commons.
- where could you get flavorful and interesting crossover between iconic staple creatures and library / land mechanics? Is there somewhere obvious?

Another idea I've always had in the back of my head for an environment is one saturated with charm or options cards like say entwine was in Mirrodin block.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Zombies have been linked with self-mill in Innistrad. When there are multiple cards that let you see/rearrange the top card(s) of your library, self-milling becomes better.
Green has a precedent for caring about top of your library in Mul Daya Channelers. There's also the uncommon cycle in Kamigawa block, like Feral Deceiver that work pretty well (and are common to boot).

When you care about what the top card of your library is, scry becomes a natural inclusion.