General Riptidelab mostly-custom cube attempt #1

somelandstormy thoughts
Rushing Vapors {2}{U}
Instant
Return target nonland permanent to its owner’s hand.
Landstorm (When you cast this spell, copy it for each land that has entered the battlefield this turn. You may choose new targets for the copies.)

Pyroclastic Flow {1}{R}
Instant
Pyroclastic Flow deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
Landstorm (When you cast this spell, copy it for each land that has entered the battlefield this turn. You may choose new targets for the copies.)

here's good enough wording for Landstorm:
When you cast this spell, copy it for each land that has entered the battlefield this turn. {You may choose new targets for the copies.} (last bit only if its targeted)

The mechanic sounds fun, but I think the mana costs are a bit too low. If you compare the first one with Rushing River and add the fact that you can also Landstorm of your opponents (fetch)lands it looks like returning 3 nonland permanents will occur somewhat often. The other one looks pretty strong too, as it is kinda like 2 Shocks in one card most of the time, with very little opportunity cost(am I using this word right?).

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I think Landstorm should perhaps only count lands that ETB'd under your control, but doing it the other way certainly changes dynamics of when you crack your own fetches. It feels weird to punish opponents for fetching by casting instants on their turn.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Pyroclastic Flow {1}{R}
Instant
Pyroclastic Flow deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

This card is pretty broken as you've costed it. If you play your land for the turn and cast it you already get Arc Trail+. Fetch and cast it and you're doing 6 damage.

I had this same effect on Page 2 or whatever as 1 damage to target creature or player, so that off a fetch you get Arc Lightning, and off a regular land you get Fork Bolt.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Anotak, remember that drake card you had that bounced when you played a land? Is there a way to build fun interactions on that? e.g.

{B}, Sorcery
Destroy target creature you control and target creature you don't control.

I dunno, something to break the symmetry.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Relevant things you can count:
  • The number of <permanent (sub)type>s you control
  • The number of tapped <permanent (sub)type>s you control
  • The number of permanent (sub)types you control
  • The number of cards in your graveyard
  • The number of <card type>s in your graveyard
  • The number of cards in your hand
  • The number of <quality> mana symbols among permanents you control
  • The number of +1/+1 counters on permanents you control
  • You life total
  • The amount of life you pay as part of casting a spell
  • The amount of extra mana you pay as part of casting a spell
  • The number of <permanent (sub)type>s you return as part of casting a spell
  • The number of <quality> cards you reveal as part of casting a spell
  • The number of spells you've cast this turn
Mechanics that count things:
  • Affinity
  • Metalcraft
  • Threshold
  • Multikicker
  • Devotion
  • Chroma
  • Storm
  • Domain
  • "Allies"
  • Sweep
  • Devour
  • Sunburst
  • some cumulative upkeep triggers count the number of age counters
  • Amplify
Am I missing something?

Still though, most people are going to denote this with a dice/glass bead. If this is the primary fixing cycle, imagine a 3 color deck having 3-4 of these shuffled in with 2 other lands.

You can't really put vivid lands in piles unless they're at the top. And when you have more than a few lands in play, a mandated minimum number of piles is annoying
Make them flip cards then. You guys have no vision!

I'd probz prefer it be something like if a land came into play under your control this turn copy ____________.

Or you may pay X for each land that came into play this turn to put another copy of this on the stack.

for reason's sake.

{1}{G}
Creature - Mutant
Shroud, trample
Whenever a permanent enters the battlefield from anywhere other than your hand put a +1/+1 counter on CARD.
1/2

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Make them flip cards then. You guys have no vision!

I'd probz prefer it be something like if a land came into play under your control this turn copy ____________.

Or you may pay X for each land that came into play this turn to put another copy of this on the stack.

for reason's sake.

Why not just make it a fetchland that can only fetch basics? Sans lifeloss.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Why not just make it a fetchland that can only fetch basics? Sans lifeloss.

It's still a dual land, pay 1 life is probably acceptable.
BrassCave.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I posted a shitload of mechanic ideas in the Hearthstone thread. Wizards could never print these as they are ripped straight from the Blizzard game (abilities, names, cmc), but we could! Most of these are basic cards to showcase how I would word the ability in Magicese, so not all of them are cube-worthy, but I feel there might be a few nice keywords in here that would work well in cube.

Ironbeak Owl {1}{W}
Creature - Bird
When Ironbeak Owl enters the battlefield, silence target creature. (That creature loses all abilities, then destroy all aura's attached to that creature.)

Druid of the Grove {2}{R}{G}
Creature - Centaur Druid
When Druid of the Grove enters the battlefield, choose one - Silence target creature; or Druid of the Grove deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
2/4

Argent Squire {W}
Creature - Human Soldier
Divine shield (This creature enters the battlefield with a shield counter on it. The first time damage would be dealt to this creature each game, remove all shield counters from it instead.)
1/1

Argent Commander {4}{R}{W}
Creature - Human Soldier
Divine shield, haste, provoke
4/2

Loot Hoarder {1}{U}
Creature - Human Wizard
Deathrattle - When Loot Hoarder dies, you may draw a card.
2/1

Haunted Creeper {1}{G}
Creature - Spider
Reach
Deathrattle - When Haunted Creeper dies, put two 1/1 black Spider creature tokens with reach onto the battlefield.
1/2

Worgen Infiltrator {B}
Creature - Wolf Assassin
Stealth (This creature has hexproof as long as it hasn't dealt combat damage this game.)
2/1

Windfury Harpy {3}{R}{R}
Creature - Harpy Warrior
Windfury (Whenever this creature attacks for the first time each turn, untap it. After this phase, there is an additional combat phase. This creature must attack in that combat phase, and no other creatures can attack in that combat phase.)
4/5

Amani Berserker {1}{G}
Creature - Troll Warrior
Enrage 3 (Damage isn't removed from this creature during the cleanup step. As long as it's damaged, it gets +3/+0.)
2/3

Raging Worgen {1}{R}{R}
Creature - Wolf Warrior
Enrage 1
When this creature is damaged for the first time, untap it and it gains windfury.
3/3

I imagine weapons being implemented as equipment with power and durability counters (equal to value in toughness field). When a weapon enters the battlefield, sacrifice the currently armed weapon, then attach the new weapon to its controller when it enters the battlefield. A player can attack as though it were a creature with power equal to the Weapon's power while it is armed. Whenever a player attacks, remove a durability counter from the Weapon at end of combat. When a weapon has no durability counters remaining, sacrifice it.

Fiery Waraxe {2}
Artifact - Weapon
(When this card enters the battlefield, destroy all other weapons you control. You can attack as though you were a creature with power equal to this card's power. If you do, remove a durability counter from it at end of combat.)
3/2

Hidden rules text:
  • A weapon enters the battlefield with durability equal to its toughness;
  • When a weapon has no durability counters on it, it is sacrificed as a state-based action;
  • A weapon can't attack;
  • If you are blocked while attacking, you take damage equal to the blocking creature's power.
SI-7 Agent {2}{R}
Creature - Human Assassin
Combo - When SI-7 Agent enters the battlefield, if you played another spell this turn, it deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
3/3

Lava Burst {2}{R}
Sorcery
Overload 2 (When this spell resolves, tap two lands you control. Those lands don't untap during your next untap step.)
Lava Burst deals 5 damage to target creature or player.

Fen Creeper {4}{G}
Creature - Plant Elemental
Taunt (When this creature blocks, lethal damage must be assigned to it before damage can be assigned to creatures without taunt blocking the same creature.)
3/6

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I think it's probably against better magic to try and make taunt work in a system where everything doesn't have provoke.

One thing I have to say about silence: Why is it destroying equipment? I know it "gets rid of bonuses", but if you silence a creature next to a flametounge totem (Creatures next to this creature get +2/+0, and no, you can't just move them around) flametounge totem doesn't just die, nor does it stop providing a bonus to the creature on the other side.
Or a new creature put down on the same side (I think)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
One thing I have to say about silence: Why is it destroying equipment? I know it "gets rid of bonuses", but if you silence a creature next to a flametounge totem (Creatures next to this creature get +2/+0, and no, you can't just move them around) flametounge totem doesn't just die, nor does it stop providing a bonus to the creature on the other side.
Or a new creature put down on the same side (I think)

Flametongue Totem will continue to grant the +2/+0 to a silenced minion even: http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Silence_(ability). Relevant bits:
  • Also does not remove ongoing effects continuously provided by another minion (e.g., Raid Leader, Stormwind Champion). However, ongoing effects can be removed by silencing the minion generating the effect.
I think only destroying aura's is a nice touch, as it makes the ability just a little bit weaker, but still good enough I think.

Edit: I'll edit my previous post.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Flametongue Totem will continue to grant the +2/+0 to a silenced minion even: http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Silence_(ability). Relevant bits:
  • Also does not remove ongoing effects continuously provided by another minion (e.g., Raid Leader, Stormwind Champion). However, ongoing effects can be removed by silencing the minion generating the effect.
I think only destroying aura's is a nice touch, as it makes the ability just a little bit weaker, but still good enough I think.

Edit: I'll edit my previous post.

Interesting! Hearthstone is filled with some weird little idiosyncrasies like that I find, like how weapons are countered by counterspell (apparently more negate than envelop) but don't pump the game's equivalent of kiln fiend.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Interesting! Hearthstone is filled with some weird little idiosyncrasies like that I find, like how weapons are countered by counterspell (apparently more negate than envelop) but don't pump the game's equivalent of kiln fiend.

I think that's just an oversight. The Mage can't cast weapons, because all of them are non-Mage class cards, and the weapon-wielding classes can't cast Mana Wyrm because it's a Mage card. The only way to achieve this scenario is to copy a Mana Wyrm with Faceless Manipulator, or to steal it with Sylvanas Windrunner, then play a weapon I think?

While I like the idea of translating SOME ideas from hearthstone to MtG, I'm not sure how well some of them work. Windfury is WAY complicated and is basically just double strike. Combo seems interesting in MtG. Make an instant or sorcery thing and we could have the next Izzet mechanic. Overload is already a thing so that would need to be changed but also works VERY well in MtG. Enrage seems too complicated to keep track of, Divine Shield works too silly with proliferate, Deathrattle doesn't have to be a keyword, and provoke is a great keyword but I don't know how well it helps capture how some of these cards play. There are definitely good ideas here, but as always, I'm skeptical about which ones are worth actual consideration.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
While I like the idea of translating SOME ideas from hearthstone to MtG, I'm not sure how well some of them work. Windfury is WAY complicated and is basically just double strike. Combo seems interesting in MtG. Make an instant or sorcery thing and we could have the next Izzet mechanic. Overload is already a thing so that would need to be changed but also works VERY well in MtG. Enrage seems too complicated to keep track of, Divine Shield works too silly with proliferate, Deathrattle doesn't have to be a keyword, and provoke is a great keyword but I don't know how well it helps capture how some of these cards play. There are definitely good ideas here, but as always, I'm skeptical about which ones are worth actual consideration.
I think you're almost spot on in your evaluation, though Windfury is decidedly less good than double strike because the creature doesn't deal first strike damage. I also worded divine shield such that you can't use proliferate tricks, you remove all the counters as a replacement effect :)

I like overload, divine shield and combo the best. Silence and enrage have memory issues, though silence has a very nice effect on the game. Weapons are intuitive and complicated at the same time. I do like how they inhabit actual new design space that never has been explored before in this way. Taunt and stealth are kind if low impact, though stealth, like divine shield, pairs very nicely with provoke, and provoke is an awesome mechanic that I would love to see in a custom cube.