General Say hello!

Unfortunately I am one of those people who don't have a Facebook account. Though lately I've been considering it for all the magic related stuff going on.
You can count me in for next Tuesday then, thank you for the invite.

Howdy, I'm Lucre, Lucas in real life and old salvation account goes by fooligan.

I don't get to play as much but I'm one of those dorks Dandy started cubing with ages ago. I've never really been in charge of a cube myself except for when I went crazy and started using the remnants of one to test made up cards in. It was pretty ugly.

Haven't really played magic with any regularity in some time but I'm always down to cube and I was sorta blown away by how much I liked drafting GTC and M13. Boardgames just seemed like a more accessible and less costly way to get my fix but being able to cube with some friends from class and being able to muck around with the various incarnations of the MODO cube I'm starting to feel the tug back to magic, but more specifically a format that requires very little upkeep and can be talked about endlessly.

Anyway I like making cards and I'm very curious about original draft formats and this seems like the place to learn more about that. Nice meeting ya'll

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Hey all! I introduced myself on the old Google group or whatever we had. I'm a guy living in London, with a little interest in pretty much everything. Making a fun and interesting cube is one of them, along with as many creative things that I can find. Right now I'm trying to make music, and oscillating between "this might work out" and "this really isn't working out" every few weeks. I'm a radio DJ on icradio.com (my show: http://icradio.com/shows/741/). This thursday is going to be my last show maybe forever, since I'm done with uni now. But hey, tune in if you like folk, electronica, instrumental hip-hop or the Soviet National Anthem.

Anyway, I think I'll be hitchhiking around Europe this summer, so maybe I will get to cube with some of you lovely people. Jason, I will definitely be in Belgium, so I'll see if I can go to Antwerp. I would really love to try your cube.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, that'd be great if you stopped by Antwerp. Let me know ahead of time and I can gather 6 of our finest for a draft.

Hi all.

Im Sterling and I own a 360 Modern cube. I started playing Magic roughly towards the end of Kamigawa block. I didnt actually purchase anything until Ravnica came out. Ravnica got me hooked like you wouldnt believe. I started playing pretty competitively but it was also a little disappointing because I could rarely make it to an actual event and the competition at FNM was lacking IF anyone even showed up.

So it was around Eventide when I got out of the game entirely and sold my MTG collection to start up a Boardgame collection. This actually got my wife involved more. We got into a game called Heroscape and found an awesome group close to us. Since my wife was also into the game we actually traveled a little bit to meet with other groups and participate and Fan run tournaments. This was awesome until Wizards got there hands on the game. We all know what happens to games that arent MTG or DnD if Wizards is in control of it. So with Heroscape discontinued the tournaments and traveling came to a halt.

So I decided to head back down to the local shop and see how things were going with Magic. I had no intentions on actually getting back into the game. I was happy with the board games I had collected (Last Night on Earth is beyond my favorite game to play) But I learned there was a pretty consistant group coming down and even a few that would play during the week. So I got into a few drafts here and there and borrowed decks. I needed something more though and was still set on not spending much $ since that also affected any new board games I wanted. So I started a search which lead me to Evan Erwin and MTGS.

Cube was exactly what I was looking for. Drafting is my favorite way to play Magic because it puts everyone on the same playingfield. Drafts also annoyed me though since we have a lot of players who will "rare" draft and unless it was a prerelease there was no prizes. So I started looking at list and trying to decide how I wanted to go about building the cube. I wanted to keep things very cheap so Peasant seemed perfect. I also wanted to easisly trade with the players around so thats why the Modern restriction. I also like me or my players to be able to go to Gatherer and put in Modern to find cards. I do like some of the Planechase/Commander cards but then its no longer a Modern format.

I then introduced it to the group. It took some time to catch on but it eventually became a huge hit. After a few times of drafting the players were pretty much begging me to add rares (mainly planeswalkers). Slowly the cube evolved through donations and any cheap rares I could get ahold of. Its now been about a year that we've been playing with the rares added and the players are loving it. One of the guys decided to proxy up a Powered cube (wtwlf's from MTGS). We play that about once a month while mine gets played at least weekly if not more.

My cube has become my pride and joy. Ive spent more money on it than initially thought I would but Im ok with that since we are constantly playing the cards. I did eventually decided to proxy cards cuz I had gotten to a point where most of the cards we wanted to try were $20 or more. The group doesnt mind the proxies but my goal is to eventually be rid of those proxies. The only thing Im dissapointed about cube is that I will never get my wife to play. For whatever reason she refuses to learn Magic but Ive got her hooked on other games such as Dominion, Carcassonne, and Last Night on Earth.

I tend to lurk on forums mostly but I do like to share my experiences from time to time.

UGh now its time for me to lay back down and get this damn cold under control!

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Here's the part where I bug all of our new members to drop by, make themselves comfortable, and say hello. I'd love to know how you all got into cubing, how you ended up here, and what you're doing with your cube.

In particular, if you're not shy, let everyone know what city you're from. Both Jason and I have invited people who we've met right here on these boards to come and play some cube, and I can't think of a more rewarding, enriching experience. Selfishly, of course, I'd like to know if there are any more cube drafters out there in Toronto. But if anyone else here finds out they're in a common city and meets up for cube, that's just as big a victory!

Oh dear, was that my cue?

I currently reside in northern Virginia, not too far from DC. I first played cube as a side event at a Super Smash Bros. tournament in the area and it was a blast. I remember imprinting Austere Command and Fireblast on a Panoptic Mirror, losing badly to a Karn Liberated, and playing seven games of aggro mirror before the Reveillark combo player finished his first game. The people next to me had a game in which someone killed his Abyssal Persecutor with Damnation. When I played against the person who had made the cube, he started pointing out my mistakes, which actually set me on the road to becoming a much more serious Magic player. Of course, I don't think I could have beaten his Reveillark engine even if I had known what tight play looked like. Something like Body Double, Eternal Witness, Viscera Seer, Time Warp? The kind of ridiculous concoction you can only put together when you're a tournament caliber player and everyone else is a dirty casual.

The next time he brought the cube to a tourney I played again and built a focused UB control deck that was supposed to be able to beat combo; Force of Will, Thoughtseize, the works. The cube architect was playing a reanimator deck and I punted badly every game, one time getting blown out by Sundering Titan after picking it with the Despise I should have never cast. To be fair I was thoroughly sleep deprived at the time and, as is traditional for Smash events, I had eaten only KFC for the previous eight hours. My control deck lost horribly to everyone else's aggro because all I could do was counter their stuff. It was a fantastic learning experience, or would have been if I could remember any other specifics.

I had been playing a very bad limited format known loosely as my entire collection every few weeks for over a year when I realized I could make a cube instead. It seemed like too much work at first but the idea wouldn't leave me alone. Eventually I sunk a solid week into finding cards in my collection that would be fun in a cube and then another week whittling that ~2000 card list down to 800. The first time I drafted my own cube I built a Living End Jokulhaups deck chock full of fiddly synergies. I lost first round to a BUG ramp deck who cast Glimpse the Unthinkable on himself the turn before my Living End went off, binning 23 power worth of bombs. I was able to go off in two games: once by suspending Living End, casting Jokulhaups on the next turn with Darksteel Ingot in play, then playing Withered Wretch and nuking my opponent's graveyard before the Living End came off; the other time by sacrificing all my stuff to Goblin Bombardment right before Living End hit. The deck was tremendous fun to play but was completely nonviable. The harsh lessons of cube design~

The second time I drafted my own cube I was a WU control deck. The same guy who made the Glimpse play before got to do something far more ridiculous this time, piloting a BR midrange deck. At the end of a long and intricate game, I had cast Pacifism on his Evil Eye of Urborg and was expecting an easy win despite my 5 life. He drew Strands of Night and played it. He proceeded to repeatedly pay life and sacrifice swamps to recur his Keldon Marauders and killed me with damage triggers over the course of many turns, winning the race with 1 life left.

So along came Modo Cube and suddenly the internet is aflutter with laughter, videos, and criticism. In trying to understand what people did and didn't like about that experience (myself having never played it, as paying money to play someone's cube when you own one yourself is a sucker's game), I found myself reading more and more articles about generalized cube design. Mostly people had disgusting things to say. Some of my favorites were, "If your cube does not contain Jackal Pup, you have built your cube incorrectly," and "Every cube must include every Jace to be a real cube." Seriously? I cut Jackal Pup the day I saw that first comment and I've never looked back. Articles stopped being appealing to me because of their universally negative attitude, not to mention the ridiculous closed-mindedness of their card evaluations. So I stopped looking for them.

Some enormous length of time later a friend of mine who had given me some good feedback about my cube linked me to an article on Channel Fireball about alternative two-player draft formats, and that article linked to the Riptide Lab mailing list. Therein I discovered people doubting that Wurmcoil Engine was good for their environment. The spark of hope once again shined within my heart. It was frankly hilarious to read a preamble to a cube description that said something like, "I don't want to play with all the strongest cards, so there are some cube staples I've left out," followed by a list containing cards like Grave Titan, Elspeth, Knight-Errant, Skullclamp, and Umezawa's Jitte. I found that one advantage of the power maximization philosophy is that it gives everyone the same target, facilitating the spread of information about that one cube. With my significantly lower power level, however, there was basically no advice anyone was giving about cube that was directly relevant to my construction choices. Even the Riptiders were discussing environments as different from mine as they were to Urza's block draft.

But over time more general principles were uncovered, not all of which I can claim to have independently ascertained, and there came to be real value for me in the little mailing list that could. I ended up cutting more and more otherwise-rad shroud and hexproof cards and grudgingly including more fixing than just a cycle of vivids. It's only a matter of time before my cube has Wildfire and Pox archetypes.

So here we are in the future of cube building the future future of cube. It's a marvelous thing. Let us shake hands upon the precipice.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Miasmir, out of curiosity, do you write professionally? I ask that with complete seriousness. Because goddamn, brother, that was one hell of an intro.

To be fair I was thoroughly sleep deprived at the time and, as is traditional for Smash events, I had eaten only KFC for the previous eight hours.

I chuckled loudly enough at this that the wife assumed I was watching puppy Youtubes again. You know what, now I've talked myself into going to watch some puppy Youtubes.

I write as unprofessionally as possible. Words are just fun. Also I have an incurable flair for the overdramatic.

My actual profession is as a programmer. I rather hope to have a chance to dip my toe into web services while I'm here.

Glad to be the purveyor of chuckles. 'Tis a noble honor.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I currently reside in northern Virginia, not too far from DC. I first played cube as a side event at a Super Smash Bros. tournament in the area and it was a blast.

I'm just going to name-drop here and say I played SSBM with Ken. He beat me with Game and Watch. It was incredible.

A couple of years ago Azen showed up to our local venue (at that time usually dominated by Chu Dat playing Kirby of all things) and perfected me repeatedly with horrible characters as a warm up. But I've never seen Ken in person so I guess you win the nerd cred war. Is that a thing? Are we doing the thing? I think maybe we should not be doing this thing.

Oh I beat Chillin once, but his judgment was impaired and he was furious afterwards, especially after hearing I'd never once won money playing Melee. Good times~

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
A couple of years ago Azen showed up to our local venue (at that time usually dominated by Chu Dat playing Kirby of all things) and perfected me repeatedly with horrible characters as a warm up. But I've never seen Ken in person so I guess you win the nerd cred war. Is that a thing? Are we doing the thing? I think maybe we should not be doing this thing.

Oh I beat Chillin once, but his judgment was impaired and he was furious afterwards, especially after hearing I'd never once won money playing Melee. Good times~

Well, I worked for Major League Gaming and hung out in hotel rooms playing Smash with all the big names. You can enter the ring, but I think I'll walk away with the nerd crown in this domain.

Except for the fact that I'm not actually very good at Smash.

Hey guys and girls, I have been playing Magic since 1994. The first booster I bought was Antiquities, but Legends really sucked me in. I quit around Alliances, went to college, and then got back into it with Lorwyn when I discovered drafting. I started cubing about two years ago, and put together a C/Ube, which has evolved into a "consensus best" 450 unpowered cube. Outside of Magic, I work as a psychologist, researcher, and statistician.

I love Magic most for the element of discovery. I play a lot of board games as well, and the thing I enjoy most is sitting down with a new game (after knowing the rules fairly well) and trying to figure it out. Magic caters to that desire in a big way. I am getting interested in building a second cube, with a different design focus than my first one. The first one was designed to be pure, only the best, and to emphasis classic Magic themes. I like the "ultimate core set" comparison. I am thinking more about building a second cube to maximize fun and interaction between cards. I enjoy making cube lists in and of themselves. It's a different type of enjoyment than actually playing, but I find it relaxing and fun to try to solve problems and decide what to keep/cut.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys and girls, I have been playing Magic since 1994. The first booster I bought was Antiquities, but Legends really sucked me in. I quit around Alliances, went to college, and then got back into it with Lorwyn when I discovered drafting. I started cubing about two years ago, and put together a C/Ube, which has evolved into a "consensus best" 450 unpowered cube. Outside of Magic, I work as a psychologist, researcher, and statistician.

I love Magic most for the element of discovery. I play a lot of board games as well, and the thing I enjoy most is sitting down with a new game (after knowing the rules fairly well) and trying to figure it out. Magic caters to that desire in a big way. I am getting interested in building a second cube, with a different design focus than my first one. The first one was designed to be pure, only the best, and to emphasis classic Magic themes. I like the "ultimate core set" comparison. I am thinking more about building a second cube to maximize fun and interaction between cards. I enjoy making cube lists in and of themselves. It's a different type of enjoyment than actually playing, but I find it relaxing and fun to try to solve problems and decide what to keep/cut.

This "second cube" idea you describe is exactly what I am trying to do with my Eldrazi Domain cube. It's a lot of work, but very fun work!

Hey everyone, my name's Tanner. I'm currently in Sacramento, CA, though I've bounced around a few other places over the years. I played Magic very casually for a couple years, through 4th and 5th edition, and only picked it up again around M13 when a few similarly-nerdy friends invited me over for a draft. I got absolutely trucked, but after winning one game against a Sublime Archangel because I successfully bluffed a Fog, I was hooked.

Several other friends of mine were just getting back into Magic, and since none of us really had any cards, we pulled together a semi-regular draft group. When I heard about Cube, it won me over instantly. The chance to play with some great cards in a set where I could design the interactions sounded absolutely perfect to me. I've cobbled together a Cube that's around 500 cards. I'm still designing a lot of the interactions and themes, and I'm hoping to trim some of the fat as the list starts to solidify. I'm also considering building a small "enter the battlefield" cube, but that's still in the planning stages.

Some of my favorite plays so far come from our last draft, where we played Two-Headed Giant. I played Detention Sphere on an opponent's Pack Rat after he'd already discarded four cards to it. My partner also got the Wurmcoil Engine / Trading Post combo online, and with a Bonehoard and a Rancor in play, was able to attack with a 14/12 trample, lifelink, deathtouch every other turn.

I'm big into listening to podcasts, and I've been churning through The Third Power and Joy of Cubing. Does anyone suggestions for more good cube podcasts?

This "second cube" idea you describe is exactly what I am trying to do with my Eldrazi Domain cube. It's a lot of work, but very fun work!

Yeah, I looked over your Eldrazi Domain cube and got some good ideas. Not necessarily in the cards, but more in terms of an overall design aesthetic. Definitely seems like we're coming from similar places.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Hey everyone, my name's Tanner. I'm currently in Sacramento, CA, though I've bounced around a few other places over the years. I played Magic very casually for a couple years, through 4th and 5th edition, and only picked it up again around M13 when a few similarly-nerdy friends invited me over for a draft. I got absolutely trucked, but after winning one game against a Sublime Archangel because I successfully bluffed a Fog, I was hooked.

Several other friends of mine were just getting back into Magic, and since none of us really had any cards, we pulled together a semi-regular draft group. When I heard about Cube, it won me over instantly. The chance to play with some great cards in a set where I could design the interactions sounded absolutely perfect to me. I've cobbled together a Cube that's around 500 cards. I'm still designing a lot of the interactions and themes, and I'm hoping to trim some of the fat as the list starts to solidify. I'm also considering building a small "enter the battlefield" cube, but that's still in the planning stages.

Some of my favorite plays so far come from our last draft, where we played Two-Headed Giant. I played Detention Sphere on an opponent's Pack Rat after he'd already discarded four cards to it. My partner also got the Wurmcoil Engine / Trading Post combo online, and with a Bonehoard and a Rancor in play, was able to attack with a 14/12 trample, lifelink, deathtouch every other turn.

I'm big into listening to podcasts, and I've been churning through The Third Power and Joy of Cubing. Does anyone suggestions for more good cube podcasts?

ChannelFireball's podcast is pretty solid. http://www.channelfireball.com/author/channel-cube-cast/

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Sad that they only have 5 episodes so far :p
TSG and Eck's "The Magic Box" is alright, I stopped watching at around episode 3 after it became clear that me and TSG disagreed on literally every single issue they discussed :p

You should have listened more Chris! They are more conservative but they have a sorta non-academic way of meandering onto important topics and things they feel like could be resolved.

I guess the difference between a powered 600+ cube and your guys things could be great enough to make it completely irrelevant but I really like how they come around to discussing mid draft decisions and playing in non ideal circumstances. They also seem as willing to pick up and dump ideas and themes as you guys are.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
*Shrug* I guess, but it really was incredible watching those first few episodes.
Prefer Old Border
Historical Importance Matters
Powered
Large Cube
Big Fans of the "Big Cheats" deck (Show and Tell, Renaimator, Oath of Druids etc)

VibeBox

Contributor
make a "site discussion" section and move this too it. it'll be the most active and thus usually immediately visible from the forums overview. this should invite new posters in, give them an easy landing spot for their first post, thus making them more likely to register in the first place. (which in turn should make them FAR more likely to return)

VibeBox

Contributor
don't be this guy:
lurker.jpg