Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Another land question..

Is this too powerful? I have a pretty powerful environment, but I wonder if this is pushing too much. Any experiences? Thoughts? I may try it regardless.

I think you can argue Shelldock and Volrath's might be too strong for ULD, though they are totally fine as part of the main draft. But I would not put Yavimaya Hollow in that company. It's a good card though and right at home in ULD IMO (power level wise).

Yeah, Yavimaya Hollow seems perfect for ULD. Too weak for main draft, but well worth a pick. Leaving up two mana to regen a dude seems fair to me. Shelldock and Volrath are both already in the main cube for me, both seem very worth an early pick in drafts. Gavony less so because it takes so long to activate it (a full 5 lands) and it requires a solid amount of set-up to get the most value from that mass boost.

Yeah, Yavimaya Hollow seems perfect for ULD. Too weak for main draft, but well worth a pick. Leaving up two mana to regen a dude seems fair to me. Shelldock and Volrath are both already in the main cube for me, both seem very worth an early pick in drafts. Gavony less so because it takes so long to activate it (a full 5 lands) and it requires a solid amount of set-up to get the most value from that mass boost.

I see. Sounds reasonable. I decided to pass on Volrath's, but I considered maining Shelldock if it proved too snatch-pickable.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Another land question..

Is this too powerful? I have a pretty powerful environment, but I wonder if this is pushing too much. Any experiences? Thoughts? I may try it regardless.

I love it, but I hate that evrey time I play it I need to stop the game, park that bastard in front of my opponent and go:
"This card is important. It is vitally important you understand and remember that I have this card in play"

Before resuming our regularly scheduled game of magic

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I love it, but I hate that evrey time I play it I need to stop the game, park that bastard in front of my opponent and go:
"This card is important. It is vitally important you understand and remember that I have this card in play"

Before resuming our regularly scheduled game of magic
I totally know what you are talking about!

Totally off topic...

I've seen a couple threads now about land placement. Sounds a little like the egg breaking argument the lilliputians had. But I'll bite.

Am I the only one that puts lands on the right and other permanents on the left? Putting stuff above or below my lands doesn't feel right to me. So I guess I break the egg in the middle.

Aoret

Developer
You guys are right about Shelldock (after playing a whopping seven games with it ever). I'll be honest, I thought all of you were full of shit until I actually used the card.

Land placement arguments are silly.

I've had it in my utility land draft for about a year... and it's been nabbed exactly zero times. I'll probably have to force it once myself to give it a test drive. I don't think it's great in control decks - those decks tend to stick fewer nonland permanents - but it might be fine in an aggro or midrange deck that's looking for that last little bit of reach.

The one I always thought had promise in that Shadowmoor cycle was

Sadly, I'm not smart enough to figure out how to recycle cards from the bottom of my library profitably in cube.

I know this is a bit late but

Grenzo, Dungeon Warden + Mistveil Plains = VALUE! Heck, you could even just cycle through your deck with Altar of Dementia and spew creatures out with Grenzo after Mistveiling good ones under your library. It's a pretty terrible combo, but it struck me earlier today while I was working on my cube, so I figured I'd share.

Haste and making 2 creatures unable to block seems like a good game-closer for a stalled board, but is it good enough? I wish it was 5 mana but I'm not quite at the custom card phase.

Chris Taylor

Contributor

Now that we're talking about high costed uncommons, how's this as a ramp/reanimator target? It leaves a ton of bodies around, but it's expensive enough I feel like that could be the reward that deck would want without it getting snapped up by midrange value decks. Also, I have a promo version!

I like and run Summoner specifically as a ramp target for the Bant ramp/blink decks a couple of my drafters tend to make. We, uh, havent actually cubed since i put it in, but i'd play it if i were in GWx ramp. Also, goes great with my favorite Disenchant, Sundering Growth.

Edit: Summoner is also a happy hippy if you run her alongside Karmic Guide, Alesha, Reveillark, Unburial Rites, uh... Etc...