Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Breath of dirigaaz is a toal fave gave miles a foil one for the noob cube. Red is a total control Colour in pez.

Anyone know of any fatties that act like wraths aside from reaver demon. Green or black are fave but any Colour sweeper fatty is appreciated. Honestly if not sweeper I'm looking for on board card advantage like that commander 7 drop black demon that destroys a guy then give you a 2/2.

Laz

Developer
It's so sad that Desolation Giant's body is unplayable if you don't use the kicker.

Mmmm... Hill Giant that blows up all of my creatures.

How has no one mentioned Phyrexian Rebirth yet?

Jason, there are a few cards, but also lots of garbage (Clash, anyone?).
AEther Mutation was being talked about a bit in another thread. Sickening Shoal is not a horrible card. Rush of Knowledge and Food Chain are cards I suppose...

There really isn't a lot as it turns out.

??

I guess you just have to pretend desolation giant is 6 cmc and therefore just a weaker Magister of Worth. Since I think Magister is a little OP maybe that's not too bad.

My babyyy omg

I love this card SO MUCH and it's one of the many delightful ways I have carefully set up my cube to allow mill to be a Real Thing. Also very tasty against enemy Courser players. Value train, choo choooooo

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
My babyyy omg

I love this card SO MUCH and it's one of the many delightful ways I have carefully set up my cube to allow mill to be a Real Thing. Also very tasty against enemy Courser players. Value train, choo choooooo

That card is such a gem, and I feel the exact same way about it. Criminally underplayed. Have to love it with memory lapse, and any of the tol tutors as well.

But uh isn't that like, a bad gold version of sunblast angel?

Which do you mean? Desolation giant or Magister of Worth? Desolation Giant is definitely "bad" but it does meet the specified prompt of wrath creature.

And perhaps it was wrong to call Magister "OP." To me, it's just not interesting enough to justify its power level. The decisions you make when casting it are basically just the same as any other wrath, but you get to land an evasive beater at the same time. Something about that feels more wrong than Sunblast Angel.

But there are few cards sweeter than Sunblast Angel. Even the art is perfect.

I agree with Laz (and Eric who has been plugging it) that Phyrexian Rebirth feels like the way to go in this situation. Also has a bit of artifact synergy as the token is an artifact. I'm making my white wraths Phyrexian Rebirth and tragic arrogance.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, Phyrexian Rebirth has been just about perfect here. Very strong - possibly the best white card in my list right now, making a 4/4 on average - but far less annoying than Gideon Jura or Elspeth, Sun's Champion. That the token can be answered by bounce, blink, and other non-removal spells makes Rebirth a tad more fair, but even given that it tends to send a strong signal in draft that white control is open. Unlike the planeswalkers, Rebirth won't fall to the midrange drafter just looking to nab value spells - you really want a deck that wants to clear the board.

I cannot fathom finding room for this, but does anyone have any experience with

?

I think I saw him posted here once before, but I don't feel like looking and opinions might have shifted and blaaah blah blah

The problem I see with Magus of the Library is that he dies to a a light breeze from the west. He also costs GG. And how do you get to seven cards without giving up tempo? You'd need card draw to support him (or intentionally skip a land drop and not play a spell one turn - essentially give your opponent free time walk), and you'd have to find a way to keep him alive.

If you can work all that out though, the ability is definitely broken. Drawing cards for free is ridiculous.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Not into it. I've only played with Library in the mtgo cube (the mube? mobe?) and the main reason its so unbelievably insane is it's a land: it works on turn one, you can almost never remove it, it costs zero, and it taps for mana. Magus doesn't do any of that.... so it's actually kind of a totally different card, and somebody should try it and see.

Edit: or redesign it to be riptide level?