Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Count me as a fan of Sphinx of Lost Truths. Cards with multiple modes, where each mode is costed efficiently, are usually pretty sweet, and he gives you a big butt that works well on either offence or defence. Digging three deep and filling up your graveyard both lead to fun shenanigans, too, even if he isn't the World's Fastest Looter. But it's the versatility and options at a fair cost that make him stand out for me in cube, a lot more than he did when he was legal in Standard.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Count me as a fan of Sphinx of Lost Truths. Cards with multiple modes, where each mode is costed efficiently, are usually pretty sweet, and he gives you a big butt that works well on either offence or defence. Digging three deep and filling up your graveyard both lead to fun shenanigans, too, even if he isn't the world's fastest looter. But it's the versatility and options at a fair cost that make him stand out for me in cube, a lot more than he did when he was legal in Standard.
Sold!

Count me as a fan of Sphinx of Lost Truths. Cards with multiple modes, where each mode is costed efficiently, are usually pretty sweet, and he gives you a big butt that works well on either offence or defence. Digging three deep and filling up your graveyard both lead to fun shenanigans, too, even if he isn't the World's Fastest Looter. But it's the versatility and options at a fair cost that make him stand out for me in cube, a lot more than he did when he was legal in Standard.
I love kicker, I love 5 toughness and I love draw fixing!

I completely forgot about Omen and am wholeheartedly for that card in singleton cubes or if you are doing something weird.

Laz

Developer
Isn't Ponder just better though?

In some formats (like for-instance Modern, or some sort of very odd Cube), Ponder is too powerful, and the effect you actually want is costed at {1} more. Other cubes can't simply choose to run a second Ponder for some reason or another and are forced to scrape the bottom the barrel that is Magic's ancient history in order to replicate the effect that they want two of.

I am sure that this card must have been discussed at some stage here, but too lazy to search until after posting...

Interesting variant of the new Delve removal spell...