Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I think I like new delve one better. Nonblack is always a thorn in my side, and I think on average I'll like grumbling about paying 5 to kill something more than losing because tarmogoyph found a planeswalker or something and had too much toughness

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I always loved the idea of a 3-mana sphinx, but this one misses the mark. If you want a 3-mana flier that gives short term and long term card disadvantage, Master of the Feast almost strictly superior and still probably not good enough.

I don't think most of our cubes are that hard up for discard outlets that we can run it.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I mean, it's not the worst, maybe we're undervaluing it. Sets up Morbid!

I'm sure it'd see a lot more play if it was a leaves-the-battlefield instead of dying trigger.

I just like it because I played it back when it was in standard, worked pretty well in constructed, never got up to the same levels in my cube.

I always forget that I can simply not pay!
If you are getting in 4 damage with it and preventing a single attack I think it's probably fine the way cml described, but is it a card you wana draft?
I bet there are similar arguments for say 2 attacks, but I feel like you'd need to be going deep on graveyards and snapcasters to make him a good early-mid pick.

Tried it when it came out in planechase. Wasn't very popular, often sat in-hand while on-curve plays were happening. Only felt 'good' on turn 2 with a mox.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
If your ideal scenario is card parity while dealing 4 damage to target player and possibly fogging an attack, it's okay, but not a great tempo play. Truth be told I haven't played with the Sphinx much, so maybe I'm spouting bullshit. It's been on my "to test" list for a while.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Not to be a downer, but I tested it two years ago, and it was about as bad as you guys are saying.