Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

My only problem is how incredibly poisonous it is. It literally only goes into a dedicated +1\+1 deck and even there its a bit, not win-more maybe but do-more in the sense that if you are already curving out with all these +1\+1 dudes then you might be fine, the enchantment will give a you a little push but on the other hand if you're out of steam and top deck that it literally does nothing.

Laz

Developer
I like Mirri's Guile a lot, as do my drafters. When it is good (floating Terminus, setting up Courser, flipping Delvers) it is really good, and when it is bad, it is still really quite good (especially if you have been sandbagging fetchlands). I mean, it isn't even the worst late-game top-deck, unless you are going to lose the game right there (in which case it is approximately equal in value to 'any card in you deck which wasn't your specific out').

So in a lower-powered environment, is Stubborn Denial worth any consideration? I mean, most of the time it's a force spike for anything except creatures. Only slightly worse than spell pierce. But the reward for having 4 power in play seems like a pretty damn good reward to get on a counterspell. While I still do hate the ferocious mechanic, I have a bit of faith that this card may be good enough. Our maybe I'm being delusional like Jason & his domain counterspell.

Speaking of ferocious spells, thoughts on that green mythic summoning trap? Any good?

CML

Contributor
i think denial is good and am excited to try it out tomorrow

see the unwritten is way better than summoning trap and a much sweeter design. it has a nice condition and a sweet graveyard thing. snap include for most lists

CML

Contributor
not the same effect though, can't be card advantage

there's also the synergy w instant speed draw

sylvan is easy to understand if you just say something like "rearrange the top 3 then draw 1 or pay 4 and draw 2 or pay 8 and draw 3" and it's sweeter enough that it's worth the extra weirdness

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
It can be a beating in my cube, but I've got +1/+1 counter support through all five colors.

> >

It makes Incremental Growth soooo good.

It's certainly not good in most environments, though. It just happens to work out well in mine.

Hey Tanner, you got a list somewhere? Getting my +1/+1 counter theme working is one of my top goals (not that I'm really working on my cube at all)

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, if you're not power-maxing, I can see Treachery being really bomby & swingy. Maybe Sower of Temptation, instead? At least Shock answers that.

It's mostly personal preference, but at this point, I'm pretty anti-steal and anti-clone. I think I run zero of both effects.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Excellent. I don't mind it much myself, but when both my players and you guys hate the card, I must be wrong :)

I already run Sower of Temptation and Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker, so there are more steal effects in there. I really, really like steal effects, maybe that's why my judgement is off compared to others.

CML

Contributor

People are complaining this card is unfair and I should run Control Magic instead. Opinions?

i kind of like it. i probably shouldn't and i might be using it as an excuse to have otherwise weak blue and dumb enchantment stuff but eh nobody calls for its head

im not sure if control magic is strong enough in a lot of our formats

after that i'm sure there are some options aside from Sower, which everyone should be running -- it's one of the most powerful of the c magic effects, but also the most interactive. ISD drafters will recall how terrifying having a fiend hunter was during combat -- for you.

someone should makea thread or subthread for ctrl magic vairants

People are complaining this card is unfair and I should run Control Magic instead. Opinions?

Ha, I went through the same thing with my friends about a year ago and cut it for Control Magic. Haven't missed it since. I've learned that if something is first-pickable and there are doubts about it, just cut it.

I think Sower and Control Magic are about equally strong. Sower is swingier, but easier to kill and has a gigantic target on its head. In my experience, you get to keep the creature for longer with Control Magic.