The Book Thread

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I took Jason's suggestion and started The Lies of Locke Lamora. It took about 50 pages before I liked it, but now I'm really into it. Can't wait to read more.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I took Jason's suggestion and started The Lies of Locke Lamora. It took about 50 pages before I liked it, but now I'm really into it. Can't wait to read more.

It's not the objectively highest quality book out there, but I had fun reading it (and the sequel, haven't gotten around to the third).

Mostly I read it because a girl I was into at the time recommended it. This is her legacy.

I'm looking for more SF and short SF. Especially anything popular enough to have been released in audiobook.

sf
currently reading, seems decent but i'm not at the end or anything:
cj cherryh - downbelow station

some stuff that i enjoyed that's in my already-read ebooks folder:
literally anything by alastair reynolds
ann leckie - ancillary justice
catherynne m. valente - silently and very fast
vernor vinge - rainbow's end
iain banks - use of weapons
iain banks - excession
ursula k leguin - the dispossessed

not quite sf but "weird fiction" or whatever the hell that means:
china mieville - the city & the city

Sweet thanks anotak, Iain Banks is probably one of my favourite genre authors I've been through all of the culture books already, but it says great things to your taste!

Most of asimovs work seems to be out as audiobooks, and the robot books are pretty short. I'm reading the wool trilogy at. Themoment and enjoying it.

China mievilles books usually getcalled urban fantasy or something I guess? But I've liked what I've read of his stuff.

Edit: writing on the ipad makes me look smarter then usual.

Yeah I think Pratchett has given me all the urban fantasy I need for a while, and I'm way over my limit for fantasy as is. I think I need something that makes me wonder or makes me uncomfortable so maybe weird fiction can go in there too? Southern gothic? Classic Robert Chambers / Lovecraft style american terror literature?

Hahaha I bet you look like something out of a mid 2000s SF movie shot in a blue filter!

Oh and I might as well contribute:

• MINDWEBS more or less bought me into audio fiction. It's a 70s radio show reading, then classic SF, great voicing. https://archive.org/details/Mindwebs_230
  • Escape Pod has submitted / award winning stories read by professionals and volunteers in the SF genre http://escapepod.org/
  • Pseudo Pod is the horror channel of Escape Pod's parent. Much better reading actually, but worse web design. http://pseudopod.org/
  • Pod Castle is the least of the three channels and is the fantasy stream, usually well read though. http://podcastle.org/

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I can highly recommend Auto-da-Fé, by Elias Canetti, if you want something bizarre. Don't read the wikipedia entrance, it contains major, major spoilers.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
ursula k leguin - the dispossessed

This is a pretty special book, I was blown away. I've read a few other things by her and they're good too. Even her short stories are thought-provoking.

I put down The Lies of Locke Lamora because someone lent me Atlas Shrugged and I want to finish this fat tome.

It's really weird when I find out people I respect take that book seriously (also not like inter-textually or whatever, it's obvious blatant political ramifications)

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
It's thought provoking and I enjoy reading it, so I'm happy. Like all other books, I will devote no deep thought to it, I will read it and expect to become wiser through some sort of osmosis, just as I expect to be a good magic player, not by thinking but just by playing more than others. I'll never get anything out of Eyes Wide Shut, but because I've seen a shit ton of films, I feel my opinion about film is somehow valid.

Lol I'll lift the wikipedia first line because it does a pretty good job.

Intertextuality is the shaping of a text's meaning by another text. Intertextual figures include: allusion, quotation, calque, plagiarism, translation, pastiche and parody.An example of intertextuality is an author’s borrowing and transformation of a prior text or to a reader’s referencing of one text in reading another.

I was a little glib with that word, but you know what I mean right?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
It's thought provoking and I enjoy reading it, so I'm happy. Like all other books, I will devote no deep thought to it, I will read it and expect to become wiser through some sort of osmosis, just as I expect to be a good magic player, not by thinking but just by playing more than others. I'll never get anything out of Eyes Wide Shut, but because I've seen a shit ton of films, I feel my opinion about film is somehow valid.

I wouldn't let it bother you; Atlus shrugged is an excellent work, it’s just a little heretical in this day and age.

Hahahaha my friend would read sections of it to us while we were drinking as he made his way through it. It's like modern epic meets mary sue fanfiction from what I can tell.

I couldn't bring myself to. I do have it waiting on my desktop in audio, Peter got to it first and it felt wrong to read it right after him. I feel like I might move from moderate to liberal if I read it and I don't know if I like that.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Well that should be fine than, Atlas shrugged isn't politically liberal. Ayn Rand was the founder of a philosophy called objectivism, which is more or less modern libertarianism.

At any rate, it’s healthy if a literary work gets you thinking and challenges some of your preconceptions. It might not be the book for you, but I would suggest at least giving it a try. I certainly found it enjoyable even if I don’t agree with every aspect of her objectivism.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
As I'm taking it, that's kind of the point. There may well be people like the main characters in this book - totally driven, smarter than almost everyone else, selfish, logical, cold - but they're such extremes of character that you might as well take them as abstractions. Part of what makes it interesting is to question whether these could be real people. The more I read of the book the more human they feel. I mean, what are you going to do with 1100 pages if not character development?

Yeah I'm sure it's totes the point. It just seemed so cartoonish when he read it and like every character or argument from the way he described it seemed to be part of some obvious straw man argument. Maybe that's the point too, but it didn't seem like it would be as entertaining to me as it would probably just make me manic, overwhelmed and desensitized, being surrounded by something like that via audio for so long (it's fucking long). You know how it feels when you realize that all the walls around you are made of cardboard? That sort of thing.

I also don't think I'd give it justice because 1) It's too fucking long for me to really try to read critically and intentionally. 2) My exposure to it has already totes tainted my opinion of it. 3) I tend to think libertarians are either doofuses or ghouls and I assume that would further ruin my reading.

@Grillo I'm also just totes not into exposing myself to things that are in political extreme that I don't agree with because I find it takes on the quality of satire and I am in my discomfort more likely to embrace their opposite. I prefer more negotiated exploration etc and to not be ruled by squicky impulses, and from one thing I know about that novel it's extreme.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I told a friend I was reading it and he said "Oh no James, don't become a libertarian." So I finally managed to ask someone what that meant. Whenever CML would rant about them I'd look it up on wikipedia and it'd be like "Libertarians are people that hold liberty to be the highest right" or something, and I never got what the problem was. I think I probably still won't get it until I meet one. But hey! That's another exciting thing I can do when I'm in North America!

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
It’s basically a combination of Ron Paul supporters being obnoxious and progressive leaning professors being opposed to it. My general experiences with them is that they’re all right, though I think certain aspects of the philosophy are a bit naive.

You’ll form your own opinions though I’m sure.