The Book Thread

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I don't understand how people can presume to have enough information to have a legitimate opinion on most topics.

I'm sure someone famous has already spoken eloquently on this matter, but it's a grand shame that so many smart people hold their opinions back because they don't feel they know enough.

I'll take it on faith that man-made climate change exists since virtually every scientific institution agrees on it, even though I've never actually read a peer-reviewed scientific study about it.
Man, what if like atomic theory was just made up too? What if the world really was just put here by God? Then all the science we've been taught in our lives would be the work of the devil trying to make us all nihilists. Wow!
No but seriously even if climate change were bullshit it'd be nice to get rid of car exhaust. That's reason enough for me to jump on the climate change bandwagon.

I'm sure someone famous has already spoken eloquently on this matter, but it's a grand shame that so many smart people hold their opinions back because they don't feel they know enough.
Maybe my view of the world has become too cynical. I have some friends on FB who are extremely liberal, and they frequently share pages from obviously biased sources. (If I had to estimate my political stance, I would say that I'm slightly left of Libertarian.) This sort of tactic is aggravating to me since it often spreads unreliable or inaccurate information.

It does depend on the topic being discussed, too. I would never expect someone to withhold their opinion on general social issues. I only find it frustrating when it comes to specific policies or factually-based concepts that are often far more complex than a person is willing to give credit for. The giant company and bank bailouts, for example. Making the correct decision there is an incredibly complex problem, but people love to simplify it.

For what it's worth, I agree that it is a shame when people who know more don't contribute. At the very least, if you're certain that you're more educated on a topic than someone else, it would do the world good to bring them up to speed.

Man, what if like atomic theory was just made up too? What if the world really was just put here by God? Then all the science we've been taught in our lives would be the work of the devil trying to make us all nihilists. Wow!
No but seriously even if climate change were bullshit it'd be nice to get rid of car exhaust. That's reason enough for me to jump on the climate change bandwagon.
lol I hope my comment didn't make me sound like a nihilist. As far as I know, there are still a nontrivial number of scientists who are skeptical about climate change--which I think is healthy--but if most institutions are on board then that's good enough for me to believe. So in that sense I do stand by the statement that technically it's on faith, but in a way that I think is reasonable.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
lol I hope my comment didn't make me sound like a nihilist.

No no, that was just a random thought.

Man, yesterday I was standing around with a bunch of people discussing feminism (we'd just watched Perfect Blue, it was a film club). I didn't have anything to say, cuz it's not something I've really given any thought to. It made me smile to watch everyone constantly mince their words and tread carefully so as not to say something wrong. Then I realised what annoyed me about the whole situation was we were a bunch of young liberals standing around having a nice wank, because of course none of us are the people that actually need to be discussing feminism. What's the point?

Anyway I actually don't have anything to say, really, but I felt I should say something so I said that.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
By that metric most of my socializing is pointless.

And mine!

No no, that was just a random thought.

Man, yesterday I was standing around with a bunch of people discussing feminism (we'd just watched Perfect Blue, it was a film club). I didn't have anything to say, cuz it's not something I've really given any thought to. It made me smile to watch everyone constantly mince their words and tread carefully so as not to say something wrong. Then I realised what annoyed me about the whole situation was we were a bunch of young liberals standing around having a nice wank, because of course none of us are the people that actually need to be discussing feminism. What's the point?

Anyway I actually don't have anything to say, really, but I felt I should say something so I said that.

Not like you might learn something

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Yeah you're right, there is actually stuff to learn by listening. I'm just griping about people treading carefully when they're obviously not the people that should be getting jumped on. Just speak plainly.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah you're right, there is actually stuff to learn by listening. I'm just griping about people treading carefully when they're obviously not the people that should be getting jumped on. Just speak plainly.

There's a balance to tread in everything. You don't seem like the kind of man to speak only to harm someone, so some caution is necessary. Harm is just hard to quantify

A few things I've read relatively recently that I would recommend:

Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie - interesting sci-fi that asks questions about gender and identity. Oh and tea features quite a lot too. Wasn't blown away but enjoyed the second one more than I thought I would.

Leviathan wakes by James S A Corey - ooh is this good. Great space opera series which has some great characters. Very much enjoyed this and would recommend. There's a tv pilot out for this, I would read the books before tv spoils it for you.

And something a bit different...

Last Call by Tim Powers - set in Vegas where aspects of the tarot live on in modern playing cards and people are living aspects of the cards. This was utterly brilliant and should be your next read if you're looking for something.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I just read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (the movie that they made Blade Runner). It was very good! Actually quite different.

Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie - interesting sci-fi that asks questions about gender and identity. Oh and tea features quite a lot too. Wasn't blown away but enjoyed the second one more than I thought I would.
If you're interested in gender identity in sci-fi, I gotta recommend The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Leguin. She's consistently excellent.

i also enjoyed leckie and also pkd's androids dreaming of electric sheep.

currently reading Lilith's Brood by Octavia Butler on VibeBox's suggestion, it seems good so far, i'm maybe 40% of the way through.

left hand of darkness is on my "to-read" list tho i've read other stuff by her

have you seen this

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Re: Ursula K. Leguin: My favorite was The Dispossessed, that blew my mind. After watching that video I think I should read The Lathe of Heaven. It's on a shelf somewhere here, I have a whole bunch of unread Leguin books lying around. When I see them second hand I reflexively snap them up.

I read The Time Traveller's Wife! My girlfriend at the time recommended it, and I jumped on it thinking it was a sci-fi book. I think that's the only love story novel I've ever read. It was great!

Tried getting into Dan Simmons Hyperion but the 2nd book got hella sad and I had to take a break

Currently in the middle of A Fire Upon the Deep. Enjoying it so far.

have you seen this
Wow, yes I have. So good to see that video floating around outside my usual circles. Next you'll be postin one of Chomsky's rapid-fire fact dumps!

Re: Ursula K. Leguin: My favorite was The Dispossessed
YOUR favorite? How propertarian. I think you mean THE favorite! /Odonian sarcasm

I'm diggin Excession so far. The Culture is really interesting, in that its a society where the spaceships are sorta the ruling class, but that's a real misnomer. They don't lord it up and try to control people... The spaceships are just capable of doing more and thinking more than humans can, so by necessity they have a greater impact on their shared society.

It's hardly a piece of MEANINGFUL LITERATURE like the Dispossessed, but it's relatively non-fluffy for a series of fluffy fun books. The next REAL SERIOUS MEANINGFUL sci fi work I'm plannin to tackle is Lilith's Brood.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Ian M. Banks has cool ideas about the future. His books are good reads, but his world is definitely the most interesting thing about them.