General The Constructed thread

Prowess and fetchlands and delve have been my biggest draw to constructed magic since I learned about the modern format. I feel kinda bad I didn't take advantage of ot before it rotated.

But Jesus Ieft because of expensive mana around time spiral, I can't buy and sell jace from a Job site for best value...

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
The best part of that video set was watching it lose to delver :cool:

I think he misplayed the matchup pretty badly though. His deck should be strongly favored, since he has a far superior late game, ample answers to all of delver's threats, and the threats he runs outsize delvers.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Per my conversation last night with Kirblinx, I asked the guy I played against (DownByTheRiverside) on mtgo for that crazy combo list, and he was nice enough to respond.

His name for it was sporuting infect, but blighted vines sounds so much better. No sb, though he suggested apostle's blessing and duress.

Blighted Vines

creatures (7)
Sunscape Familiar
Nightscape Familiar
Blighted Agent

spells (32)
Tolarian Winds
Manamorphose
Dream's Grip
Muddle the Mixture
Reckless Charge
Flux
Cabal Ritual
Hidden Strings
Sprouting Vines

lands (21)
Azorius Chancery
Dimir Aqueduct
Izzet Boilerworks
island
Plains
Swamp
Forest
Mountain

(0)

Again, the plan is to storm out a giant sprouting vines, than use the excess cards to flux/tolarian winds your way through the deck. Eventually you find a muddle the mixture/blighted agent, and flashback (or cast) enough reckless charges to kill the opponent...which is just too much awesome.

He was nice enough to provide another sweet storm list:

Infecting Storm

creatures (3)
Blackcleave Goblin

spells (44)
Gitaxian Probe
Cabal Ritual
Dark Ritual
Sign in Blood
Lotus Petal
Astral Steel
Careful Study
Ponder
Ideas Unbound
Chromatic Star
Hidden Strings
Early Frost
Power Sink

lands (13)
Ancient Spring
Peat Bog
Saprazzan Skerry
Bog Wreckage
Seafloor Debris

(0)

Yes...rush out a Blackcleave Goblin, than storming out with Astral Steel for the win. "Inconsistent but fun" he says; and I believe him

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Found Grillo online again. With his new-found brew in hand (slightly modified) and a terrible brew I thought up 2 hours ago we went at it. His deck is super fun to watch, except for that fact that he suffered from Aoret's MODO clock problem...

bwl51hI.jpg

He just Tolarian Winds to try and find his either of his two remaining Reckless Charges when time got the better of him.

I am running a terrible dual-combo aura deck. Midnight Guard + Presence of Gond for infinte guys and Freed From the Real + Wind Zendikon for infinite mana/untaps. It is pretty fun for the games I have mucked around with it. Need some more tweaking at this point.

If anyone else is willing to build terrible tier 3.0 pauper decks I would be happy to do fisticuffs with you. I am sure Grillo is in the same boat. Because, hey sometimes you don't have enough people for a cube draft :p

Now correct me here but my drunken realization earlier was that vintage, like online paupers main "success" comes from the well of people who are excited to play or play around the same style of magic. If we had a really accurate personality profile on these people we would have a common root we could work off of if we say had some Jason Bourne esque adventure to nab them.

Maybe none of these blokes fit NWO, maybe creature combat is too wishy washy for them, maybe aggro and midrange decks are insulting to them as a meal what's base is paprika.

It seems like it's an expensive ghetto for people who can pay for it or are thankfully already invested. Which contrast really interestingly with paupers and peasants best trade fair magic system and indulgence.

I dunno limited magic is not a comparable case so I won't get too relegatory right now but I assume we are just as deserving or if we ain't salvation cubes are.

(No offense to anyone I am the sort to enjoy pesant cubing and 360 all signets powered)

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
That was a ton of fun.

On that turn in game 2, where the deck "went off." This is what happened. I had a hand of absolute nonsense:

You cast that utopia sprawl, so I used that to shoot off a mini-vines for 2 (just like mini-tendrils I swear), because I had nothing to do. Getting mountain, island

Than my draw for the turn is the best possible one flux!

discard x2 reckless charge, island, mountain, and draw mostly hot garbage: plains, forest, simic growth chamber, manamorphose, ponder. :oops:

Despondent, I fire off the ponder, which hits garbage ! Shuffle and draw a manamorphose. You play a gnarlaid on your turn which I bounce, and now I pretty much have to devise a win somehow.

Draw for turn flux (!), manamorphose into sunscape familiar, play familiar, tap my last bounceland (2{U} 1{G} in the pool), casting sprouting vines for 2 mana for four copies (at this point I have all but one basic out of the deck), One {U} floating, no land drop, cross fingers and flux for 7 new card!

And...holy god

:eek:

Because of sunscape familiar, I cast cloud of faeries off of the {U} I left floatiing, untapping my two bounelands, and generating roughly 1 million mana by chaining snaps and cloud of faeries with a familiar in play. Blighted agent comes down, and reckless charge it twice for seven poison. So I kind of fizzled, kind of didn't, because I just needed to either buy a few turns, or find another charge.

Thoroughly enjoyed, would play a goofy pauper combo deck again.

these pauper decks look awesome, i'll see what i can put together to join you guys in the t3 brewoff. v exciting!

speaking of combo, though, i keep looking through the Storm Boards for Doomsday stuff (surprisingly helpful for Cube actually) and man oh man do I respect Time Spiral a lot more than I used to. Can you believe it's only the 7th or 8th-best piece of Power? (recall the refrain of 'top 8 Rotisserie power, ninth place gets Timetwister')

From a puzzle where you need to beat an active Mom+Thalia with a storm kill (passing the turn twice, in Legacy):

Our Turn 6:
Cast Dark Ritual off of Underground Sea (Storm: 1, Available Mana: {B}{B}{B}, {G/U}, {U/B}, {B/R}).
Cast Lion's Eye Diamond (Storm: 2, Available Mana: BBB, G/U, U/B, B/R).
Cast Gitaxian Probe, breaking Lion's Eye Diamond in response (Storm: 3, Life: 5, Available Mana: {U}{U}{U}, BBB, G/U, U/B, B/R).
Cast Burning Wish for Time Spiral (Storm: 4, Life: 5, Available Mana: UUU, BBB, U/B).
Cast Time Spiral, untapping any tapped lands (Storm: 5, Life: 5, Available Mana: G/U, U/B, U/B, U/B, B/R)

With only 1 card left in deck (Wish) and 6 cards in the Graveyard, your seven cards off Time Spiral should be the following:
Burning Wish
Gitaxian Probe
Gitaxian Probe
Dark Ritual
Lion's Eye Diamond
Massacre
Doomsday

Cast Dark Ritual off of Underground Sea (Storm: 6, Life: 5, Available Mana: {B}{B}{B}, {G/U}, {U/B}, {U/B}, {B/R}).
Cast Lion's Eye Diamond (Storm: 7, Life: 5, Available Mana: BBB, G/U, U/B, U/B, B/R).
Cast Burning Wish for Tendrils of Agony (Storm: 8, Life: 5, Available Mana: BBB, U/B, U/B).
Cast Tendrils of Agony (Storm: 9, Life: 5, Available Mana: U/B).

Anyone have any interest in the French Peasant format or is it too obtuse and grindy?

http://mtg-peasant.com
It's bigger in Spain iirc and there's a bunch of cool decks it enables, like Countertop Faeries and a few neat combo decks. I can't remember who posted it but iirc there's a link to the Italian meta website somewhere in these forums?

I like the idea of the format but I think unfortunately there's actually fewer viable (tier) decks

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
It's bigger in Spain iirc and there's a bunch of cool decks it enables, like Countertop Faeries and a few neat combo decks. I can't remember who posted it but iirc there's a link to the Italian meta website somewhere in these forums?

I like the idea of the format but I think unfortunately there's actually fewer viable decks

This one?

Dom Harvey

Contributor
A guy around here plays Tireless Tribe/Twisted Image in Legacy with Squadron Hawk to give fuel and make Brainstorm even better. Tribes and Hawks are warm bodies for equipment from SFM too. It's actually kinda sweet.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
They don't actually have any peasant lists on the metagame.it site; they have a lot of good pauper content though.

I think Onderzeeboot has a lot of lists, as he used to play peasant a lot. I'm sure that there is a lot of brewing room, as the format gets even less attention than pauper.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
They don't actually have any peasant lists on the metagame.it site; they have a lot of good pauper content though.

I think Onderzeeboot has a lot of lists, as he used to play peasant a lot. I'm sure that there is a lot of brewing room, as the format gets even less attention than pauper.
Yeah, I used to organize Peasant events, but that was before my son was born, so these decklists are all over three years old. The French rules are mainly obtuse because they refuse to use Gatherer to determine rarity and insist on using Crystal Keep. So Mishra's Factory is a common because one of its four printings was at C1 I believe, and only printed sets count I think?
Stuff like that. We just followed Gatherer, so if it shows up as a common on Gatherer in any set, even if it was just in an online set, you could play it as a common in our Peasant tournaments. Same for uncommons of course.

I think our site is still up. The last bit of content was posted by another organizer, but that initiative was sadly short-lived.

http://peasantmagicgroningen.blogspot.com

Edit: But he does have some decklists that are "only" over two years old ;)

Casual formats are really cool and fun but tend to get dull really quickly with serious examination.

I just wana play my tribal horrors deck every once in a while and not play elf vs goblin counting games.
Peasant was pretty stagnant when last I played but magic seems way bigger now. It's so weird to me that it's all about blink effect control decks now.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Casual formats are really cool and fun but tend to get dull really quickly with serious examination.

I just wana play my tribal horrors deck every once in a while and not play elf vs goblin counting games.
Peasant was pretty stagnant when last I played but magic seems way bigger now. It's so weird to me that it's all about blink effect control decks now.
The metagame was pretty varied over the five years we ran monthly Peasant tournaments. The only period where it felt stagnant (and attendance really suffered) was shortly before we banned Thopter Foundry. That deck was just way too consistent and good, so you'ld see a mix of Foundry decks and dedicated hate decks. That's when we intervened. I think we were basically banning wit a Modern mentality before that format was a thing, we wanted to keep the format to be not too cutthroat, so showing up with a new brew was actually viable. I had great fun with zany decks like Eldrazi Green Tron, Karma Softlock, Dream of the Dead Blink, {W/B} Infect, and Arcane! Tide Combo, just to name a few original decks that all posted winning records. I think Arcane Tide is the only deck I played more than twice in the four years I've played because I was pretty proud of that combo deck.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
The problem with casual formats is that they tend to not get seriously examined because they are casual. :/

I'm surprised you guys didn't ban post or mental misstep.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The problem with casual formats is that they tend to not get seriously examined because they are casual. :/

I'm surprised you guys didn't ban post or mental misstep.
It was never a problem because it takes up one of your precious five uncommon slots, and the format doesn't exclusively revolve around one-drops. Faeries is a good deck in the format, and it usually plays some mix of Force of Will, Mental Misstep, and/or Favorable Winds.

Edit: Post wasn't ever a problem either. It's not nearly as oppressive as it is in Pauper, because you have way more cards to build with. People occasionally did sideboard a land destruction spell, but only some of the time. Most of the problematic cards ended up on the banned list, and neither Misstep nor Cloudpost was ever up for consideration. They weren't even on our watch list because they were simply part of a healthy metagame.

I bet 2x coffers 3x demonic tutor decks are still pretty sweet.

Man last time I played peasant I think empty the warrens just came out.

For a little while in Ontario we had Duncan's Format that allowed for 5 uncommon or rare cards and no more than 5 cards per expansion set. That was pretty neat. Vedalkan shackles was pretty popular. Not sure that format works now with power creep. The banned list was pretty extensive as is.

I think I played a rune of protection tutor control deck for a while but looking back I probably shoulda just played a beacon of creation deck. Thermal glider used to be the shit, can you believe that? This had to be like around kanigawa or ravnica or something.

Do you guys remember rude awakening god that card was impossible to play against.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
So I had a spare 80 play points lying around and have decided to have a run in a pauper league just so see if any of my terrible brews stand a chance outside the practice rooms.

May I present to you a classic from my distant past Dampening Ire:
rbV9hXo.jpg

It has good game against any aggro deck (apparently multiple glacial rays help) but just dies to delver and mono black, but it isn't like there is much of that in the leagues, right? (right? :() all you do is splice and gain value while milling yourself then hit them with a huge Ire. The best part is no one has any idea what you are doing (Dem rogue brews) and you can sometimes sneak in a game one against delver. The sideboard is a mess. I should have really put something in for tron. Anyway, I shall let you good folks know how bad I end up going.