General The Draft Exchange

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Drafted Clyde's. Welcome! :)

p1p1 I see various cards that would be good in combo/synergy-oriented decks, like Ashnod's Altar, Quirion Dryad, and Erratic Portal. Of course there's also a Venerated Loxodon, which is awesome if there is an aggressive white deck out there, and I do see a Legion's Landing as well. Go team elephant!
Of course p1p2 sucks with no white cards except Scourglass. Well, guess I'm pivoting into black then, for a Kambal, Consul of Allocation (over Executioner's Capsule and Braids, Cabal Minion? I must be mad!).
I pick up an Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim and a Gonti, Lord of Luxury next, and get rewarded by a p5 Blackblade Reforged. Guess I'm {b/w} historic now! Braids wheels :)
The rest of the draft sees me picking up a Demonic Pact that I could actually support, plus more legendaries and a nice little sacrifice package. This is going to be mildly hard to build.
My only regret is literally seeing no proper fixing, other than a pack 1 Orzhov Basilica that I didn't get to pick up :( As a result, I couldn't really afford to run the Demonic Pact package, because running Emancipation Angel as a double white card together with a bunch of double black cards is asking for mana screws. I did pick up five solid removal spells, so it's not like I absolutely need the Pact.

Onderzeeboot's BW Historic draft of Tesseract on 30/03/2019 from CubeTutor.com

Thanks for the draft! I recently reset the pick orders so it's most likely the AI snatched up the lands. That's a really solid build regardless. I like how all the legendaries in black feed the historic plan.

@Clyde
I like it a lot. Super sweet deck and I think Living Death is really really good here. But I think, you missed one thing, to make it even more of a bomb. There is a Carrion Feeder in your sideboard. He's the MVP with this card, making it so, that you are not losing any creature, not even himself, while being a cheap 1-mana investment that becomes a huge threat anyway.

Started off with a Teysa, Orzhov Scion which is a card I had forgotten, but that I really enjoy. Followed that with a Dusk // Dawn and then a Marionette Master which is one of my favorite cards of the moment. From there I looked to draft something coherent. I gambled on Steel Overseer early as well and it payed off! I also found a few human payoff cards and those went in as part of an aggressive package.
There was an interesting tension between picking up removal/discard, artifacts and creatures. I didn't notice if I missed some power boosting effects (equipment?) for the Marionette Master, which is my bad.

This deck is doing a lot of things (too many?) but it's this type of deck that I want to recreate in my cube.

Nanonox's draft of The Magic Crumble Pie on 11/04/19 - WB artifact token sacrifice

Edit: the customs are a BW borderpost and a artifact type Demonic Pact that makes a 2/2 token, 2 treasures and something. The last option is sacrifice it and lose 7 life.

Drafting Nanonox' cube. P1P1 Reanimate into Animate Dead. Guess I have a plan there. I pick some duals but stay mostly black for the first pack. Pack 2 I start with Gifts, since there wasn't anything appealing in black. I also get a decent target with Bobo. I got 2 more in pack 3 but I feel like if there would be onecmore maybe instead of one of the many discard outlets, it would've been even better. Still, well supported archetype and a nice deck:

Grixis Reanimator from CubeTutor.com

To the next drafter, please give my under construction Ravnica cube a spin under the following link:

http://www.cubetutor.com/draft/139380

It is no longer a draft sim but a regular cube where just the commons appear twice.
Also, there is a house rule: after the draft you chose a guild and get a copy of your signet and your original Guildmage for free! (Mages: https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=Guildmage+block:rav)

Seeing how sweet this deck turned out makes me think, that I did something right with the switch from draft sim to cube. Thanks man!

Drafting yours now ...

Thanks for the draft ravnic!

Kind of disappointed that the deck looks so generic, but that's not your fault, it's mine!
I will try and play around with the reanimation spells to make things more spicy.
I also probably need to cut on discard/reanimation support because it looks like you have infinite ways to get stuff into the yard. Or I could try and add some more graveyard payoffs and keep all the discard...

Either way thanks it's always enlightening to see others drafting your cube!

P1P1 LabMan, because that is my favorite combo deck. I start out in blue/black thanks to Looter and Archfiend. Really happy about the Stinkweed Imp! I'm also dipping into the cycling theme. Stupid me passed up on Grave-Troll because I wasn't in green. Still got the potential for a quick combo kill and also some big swingers when it comes to the late game.

Grixis Maniac from CubeTutor.com

To the next person drafting, I'd still be happy if you could try my new RAV cube. And don't forget, after the draft you get a original Guildmage + Signet from the guild you chose! :)

Drafted the Ravnica cube:
Started with a stinkweed imp then P1P2 saw a doorkeeper. Tried to draft around that and got the following.

UB mill from CubeTutor.com

The Balustrade Spy was supposed to be a 2mana wall that milled 4 but I misclicked on my cellphone.
Last two cards are the Dimir Guildmage and Signet.

The deck could have taken a different route with a more traditional creature base, but it’s not always you get to draft mill in cube!

Drafted Nanonox's cube:

p1p1: Reyhan, because I've always been intrigued by the card, and just wanted to see how it'd play out.
p1p2: Verdurous Gearhulk....well..obviously

From there just went down a grindy sac-recursion golgari deck with a counters subtheme.

Golgari Modular from CubeTutor.com

Between Evolutionary Leap, Erratic Portal and Cloudstone Curio, I anticipate having a lot to do on any given turn with looping ETB effects. In hindsight, I probably should've ran Bow of Nylea for the long game...

Thanks for the draft!
Deck looks really solid for my environment. You have a lot of plays to gain value over the course of the game and to grind out a table of 2-3 opponents.

I was just curious if it felt too "on rails" or if you feel you could have gone a different direction?

The +1/+1 counters is a small subtheme, but I'm not married to it. If it felt forced, I can see either toning it down or cutting it altogether.

Reactions: dbs
Thanks for the draft!
Deck looks really solid for my environment. You have a lot of plays to gain value over the course of the game and to grind out a table of 2-3 opponents.

I was just curious if it felt too "on rails" or if you feel you could have gone a different direction?

The +1/+1 counters is a small subtheme, but I'm not married to it. If it felt forced, I can see either toning it down or cutting it altogether.

It didn't feel on rails at all. I had a lot of opportunities to pivot, and the resulting deck doesn't feel like you're being beaten over the head with the theme. All the cards are independently useful with exception of animation module...having a card or two like that seems fine to me.

I've been interested in a counters subtheme for my own cube. However, graveyard and counters aren't the most synergistic combination...Reyhan is possibly the key to bridging the divide between counters and graveyard...I just felt it was difficult to find enough payoffs for him. The scavenge mechanic would be another way, but most of those cards are too low powered for my cube.

Counters and GY is a tough one indeed.

There is Travel Preparations in Selesnya which is actually solid and ties into the berserkers archetype.
In blue you have Benthic Biomancer that could be an interesting looter.
Puppeteer Clique could be a fun one if you can mill your opponent.
Golgari Grave-Troll technically works, but he is more of a self-mill engine.
Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants can reanimate small dudes.

As for Reyhan payoffs, here is what I found:
Triskelion is pretty good and you can tie him to the GY as a Welder/Daretti target. Pentavus/Triskelavus would work too, but aren't as good in my opinion.
Walking Ballista and Hangarback Walker are classics that are excellent almost anywhere.
Crystalline Crawler and Devoted Druid can get out of hand fast with some counters.
Rishkar, Peema Renegade also rewards you with mana.
Chasm Skulker can be beastly when paired with a sac outlet.
Marionette Master wants it's power boosted as much as possible.
Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin or any double striker.

Is any of this good enough for your cube I don't know, but the colorless cards are playable by themselves and creates a fun mini-combo with Reyhan. I don't think you need much more as Reyhan can be decent on it's own.

Drafting Inscho's ...

P1P1 was Hangarback Walker because it is a colorless value machine. I kept picking some artifacts and then got a Chief Engineer, going for an artifact matters deck. Happy to pick up Platinum Angel then. In the end, it didn't really end up as the synergistic but fair deck I thought of, butat some point, when I also grabbed the Elixir, I realised, that I have a lot of ways to protect/recur the angel, while the elixir lets me reuse these things. It is not the only (and not the nicest) way to win, but it should work.

Angel of Immortaliy from CubeTutor.com

Next person, draft whichever cube you want, but if you take Ravnica remember you'll get your original Guildmage + Signet of choice after the draft.

I saw the possibility of drafting a UW blink deck but I found myself with too many enablers and not enough payoffs. I can gain some life but that won't make me win the game, only delay the inevitable. Fathom Seer seems somewhat slow, expensive and questioanble for the card advantage he provides.

First pick was Imposing Sovereign, because she's useful in both control and aggro. The deck seemed creature-based so it seemed a good pick. I followed up with Pacification Array, Shelter and Crystal Shard which also kept my options open. I think the deck should have been either much more aggressive or use the signets to do something more powerful than play smallish creatures. There are a bunch of Control Magic effects so I can see me getting those and signets and filling up with general versatile cards. A couple counterspells, 2x Control Magics, Imposing Sovereign and Pacification Array would have been a powerful core, much more than Blink and it would have been easier to draft.

UW Miniblink Tempo from CubeTutor.com

If you guys can do me a favour and draft my cube, I would truly appreciate it. I've done a lot of changes on it and I'm no longer sure what others will think or whether there are serious holes on the list (like, enough fatties or artifact aggro creatures). Thank you :)

Drafting Erik's!

I started p1p1 with Venerated Loxodon, since that card just went undefeated in a ROTISSERIE draft of my cube and was absurd every time. From there it's an easy Thraben Inspector and I am then presented with a choice of Vampire Nighthawk, Cataclysm, or Blood artist, and I go with the latter, thinking that if I'm going wide I might end up sacrificing things as well. I settle in BW tokens, complete with Lingering Souls and the BW Fetch / Shock combination, as well as Flickerwisp and Restoration Angel. At this point I'm looking for stuff that makes tokens on ETB. I take Secure the Wastes over Smuggler's copter p2p1, but it's close. I can't resist Braids as a curve topper, then a Rally the Peasants and a red shockland over a Glorious Anthem. I grab a very late Judith, the Scourge Diva and Hymn to Tourach, but I am probably not heavy enough into black to play either without more mana fixing. Pack three is less exciting, picking up some mana fixing and utility creatures but not much of note.

Ended up with this mardu list!

Mardu Tokens from CubeTutor.com

That's an interesting list! I was actually on the verge of adding or cutting some of the cards you added to the decklist or mentioned. For example, Sin Collector was added this very evening because I have the card in paper and thought it would be more versatile and interactive than the control-heavy BW cards I had in its slot.

Do you think Glorious Anthem is worth picking up? I'm not sure if it's a card people will actually draft and play or a "nice have" that never sees a mainlist.

That's an interesting list! I was actually on the verge of adding or cutting some of the cards you added to the decklist or mentioned. For example, Sin Collector was added this very evening because I have the card in paper and thought it would be more versatile and interactive than the control-heavy BW cards I had in its slot.

Do you think Glorious Anthem is worth picking up? I'm not sure if it's a card people will actually draft and play or a "nice have" that never sees a mainlist.

I don't know if you want to encourage people to not splash and only draft mono-white, but that is what Glorious Anthem does. Regardless of whether it's a higher power level to have it in your Mardu deck or not, putting a single color anthem in a multicolored deck is a feel bad moment that drafters want to avoid.