General The Roman Emperor Thread

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I am your emperor, but who shall take my crown?!?!?!

Welcome to the Roman Emperor thread. Here are the rules.

1) You may propose one card at a time to be added to my cube. You can simply post a card, or add as much explanation as you like.
2) For each card, I will either reject it, or add it to my list.
3) There is a two-strike system. If you have two cards rejected, you can no longer propose new cards. Banished!
4) Pardons! If you have one strike, and your next card is accepted, your strike is pardoned!
5) Pardons! If you have no strikes, and your card is accepted, you may pardon a banished user.

Once five cards have been accepted, a new emperor will be crowned. -Future emperors shall be decided by weighted die-roll. Assign to each user one number for each accepted submission. Then roll the die. Whoever's number comes up is the new emperor!

When a new emperor is crowned, all sins are pardoned!

My list (kind of): http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/40807

Begin!

Contenders for the crown:
RavebornMuse - 2 (Sidisi, Undead Vizier, Westvale Abbey)
safra - 1 (Imperial Recruiter)
James - 1 (Swans)
Kirblinx - 1 (Anafenza)

Laz

Developer

Since it is reasonably easy to seed Riggers across all six colours, Steamflogger is not nearly as parasitic as other lords which don't have the same density of cards that are individually playable.

Plus, the contraption text is not merely flavour, in recent sets we have been seeing more and more cards in Red which care about the number of contraptions you control, and this really helps you hit that critical mass.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member

Since it is reasonably easy to seed Riggers across all six colours, Steamflogger is not nearly as parasitic as other lords which don't have the same density of cards that are individually playable.

Plus, the contraption text is not merely flavour, in recent sets we have been seeing more and more cards in Red which care about the number of contraptions you control, and this really helps you hit that critical mass.

Rejected! Prepare the gallows!

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member

I've enjoyed this card immensely. Very interesting to play, very good for pushing UR/URW spells decks. I notice that you're running Jeskai Ascendancy and various other prowess-type triggery things, and this fits right in. In these decks, you want a mix of spell casting and attacking, and this fits both bills. (what on earth does fit the bill even mean?)

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member

Rejected! Prepare the gallows!

Man, this whole monarchy is riggerd. I demand a new king!

Edit:

I've enjoyed this card immensely. Very interesting to play, very good for pushing UR/URW spells decks. I notice that you're running Jeskai Ascendancy and various other prowess-type triggery things, and this fits right in. In these decks, you want a mix of spell casting and attacking, and this fits both bills. (what on earth does fit the bill even mean?)
Both bills? But there are three bills on the card.

RE: "fits the bill": Probably refers to a bill of sale, ie. this bicycle fits the bill of sale I got (is satisfactory to what I asked for and what they are telling me I got).

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

This card allows for all kinds of tight plays, courtesy of all the humans that get roped into various cubes by accident. The card requires a crowd of said humans to work, so it's no low-hanging fruit, but it does provide a way for colors that traditionally have problems in the removal department, like green and blue, to get a head and spirit away the win.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member

What do the people say? Should this man be banished for his Blasphemous Act of Treason?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member

This card allows for all kinds of tight plays, courtesy of all the humans that get roped into various cubes by accident. The card requires a crowd of said humans to work, so it's no low-hanging fruit, but it does provide a way for colors that traditionally have problems in the removal department, like green and blue, to get a head and spirit away the win.

Rejected! This man should be thrown in the crypt!

1) If you really want to use a mob of people, this is the way to do it - for a fun subgame that can win if you play it right
2) Gadzooks does this thing flip a lot in my experience

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member

1) If you really want to use a mob of people, this is the way to do it - for a fun subgame that can win if you play it right
2) Gadzooks does this thing flip a lot in my experience

I reluctantly give you an ULD slot. But there's something unsettling about your demeanor. Guards, see this man away!

i'll take the weird novel approach of suggesting a card that is, you know, good

you don't cube him but you should.

cons:
really expensive in paper, if you don't proxy, and like $15 on mtgo
3 mana 1/1
you need more than one to pull off the sickest Aluren combos

pros:
unique, interesting tutor effect
unique, interesting tutor effect in red
on-board card parity
really fun in blink and reanimate decks
really fun everywhere else too