General The Roman Emperor Thread

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
It seems that your country has abandoned you my liege. May I suggest purging all these unfaithful subjects and starting anew?
a5eD8KC.jpg

*aside*
I was drafting your cube and ended up in some weird Naya control build and noticed that none of your naya cards supported this. All of them are low-cost and heavily creature based. I was trying to think of something that could help these decks and it is so hard to think of anything that these colours can do that isn't creature based or breaks the colour pie.
This was the first thing I came up with and couldn't really think of anything better.
*end aside*

As you can see sir, cleansing your land and only allowing the exceptional to stay here (through their own means or otherwise) shall makes this nation prosperous once again!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

if you're gonna have blue aggro, have blue aggro
Bonum tendo! This suggestion is not nearly as ridiculous as some of the others! I like the stats and I like the keywords. What I don't like is the spirit rider. During my long reign I have noticed the plebs get hung up on tiny little lines like these that seem to imply a theme when that theme is not there. They'll be picking this up, thinking there's a spirit theme in the cube, when in reality there are only 1 or 2 other spirits in the most likely color combinations they'll end up in ({U/B} or {U/R}). There are already some nice evasive options at two mana in blue, so I don't feel the need for another when that other option has flavor text that isn't in italics. What say you consul? *The horse nods in agreement* Yes, an easy verdict really. REJECTED, with honors.

It seems that your country has abandoned you my liege. May I suggest purging all these unfaithful subjects and starting anew?
a5eD8KC.jpg

*aside*
I was drafting your cube and ended up in some weird Naya control build and noticed that none of your naya cards supported this. All of them are low-cost and heavily creature based. I was trying to think of something that could help these decks and it is so hard to think of anything that these colours can do that isn't creature based or breaks the colour pie.
This was the first thing I came up with and couldn't really think of anything better.
*end aside*

As you can see sir, cleansing your land and only allowing the exceptional to stay here (through their own means or otherwise) shall makes this nation prosperous once again!

It was quiet at the gates this last week, the lack of hanging bodies in sight was refreshing! Lately the people have grown restless again though. I was wondering what to do about that, and here you are! You seem to have confused Naya for the enchantment shard, in reality that theme is at home in the Abzan colors, and that flavor text is atrocious. I can understand you wanting some tools in that color combination though, and the idea behind the card is sweet, so what if we replace one of the custom gold hybrids in the right shard? What say you consul? *The horse whimpers* Yes, yes, I am especially mellow today. I blame it on the lack of action, I wish there was a proper revolt I could violently surpress with this new tool I was given! ACCEPTED!

A New Dawn.jpg

People of the Riptidelab, your suggestions have pleased me. I feel my retirement drawing near, but let's have one more of your excellent propositions!

No ode today, patronus - the poets are off sulking. Something about non satis plausus.

feels conspicuously absent - surely through no fault of your own, of course - and is yet more main-deckable artifact/enchantment removal, while failing to answer the larger threats available (missing 22 of your 82 artifacts and enchantments and hitting 68% of your cube's nonland permanents). There's not very much removal in BG - there are so many dudes you'd think a UFC match was in town - which I at first thought was a deliberate choice, but you run Putrefy, so I figured Decay was worth a shot too. I've been very pleased with it in Cube, good card is good.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
No ode today, patronus - the poets are off sulking. Something about non satis plausus.

feels conspicuously absent - surely through no fault of your own, of course - and is yet more main-deckable artifact/enchantment removal, while failing to answer the larger threats available (missing 22 of your 82 artifacts and enchantments and hitting 68% of your cube's nonland permanents). There's not very much removal in BG - there are so many dudes you'd think a UFC match was in town - which I at first thought was a deliberate choice, but you run Putrefy, so I figured Decay was worth a shot too. I've been very pleased with it in Cube, good card is good.
You make a very solid point, as you should, considering that you've already gotten a warning! A warning, might I remind you, that would have been an amputation were it not for your poetic prowess. Don't think your effort went unappreciated! So, this time, instead of a bad suggestion paired with a lovely poem, we get a lovely suggestion paired with sycophantic prose. What say you consul? *The horse nods approvingly and whips its tail twice* Ah! I have seen this behaviour before! You are in luck Safra, your past mistakes have been forgiven and your suggestion ACCEPTED! *The horse neighs nervously* What? No, I just accepted the proposed card! What do you mean it's too expensive? What's ten gold to a treasu... Oh. The coffers are empty, aren't they? *The horse nods, then plays dead* Nonononono, don't you fake death on me! We need to get out before they burn this palace to the ground! Let someone else solve our mess! *Emperor Onderzeeboot mounts the horse and makes a beeline for the nearest exit*

Some time passes, but eventually the senate concludes that the emperor is not coming back and that a new emperor must be chosen from among the ambitious and promising individuals in their midst. Alea iacta est! Fate has decided that Chris Taylor is the new emperor! Good luck financing your reign! ;)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Muhahahahah!

Hail your new emperor, and render tribute unto me as you would your god!

List: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/88
(As with bootman, suggestions need not necessarily exist, just post some rules text if you want)

I grow bored with my current domain, and perhaps a town or two will be razed to make room for new, glorious cities. No suggestion is too outlandish, if you dare be so bold!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
If anyone is wondering what their god would like as tribute, and wishes to speak or indeed "commune" with them, I have the card for you!

(Nice bait and switch :p)

Perhaps you should take a closer look at my empire, plebian. Enchantments are tolerated here, not encouraged! To say nothing of this paltry offering you bring before me! It stinks of limited fodder, especially in a format where the early turns are so key to survival!

REJECTED!

My Lawd, I seem to recall you expressing angst over the difficulty of consistently activating the gravecrawler engine in Cube. May I humbly suggest:

This spicy number appears innocuous at first, but fits into many themes, including:

• Stax/Pox
  • Reanimator
  • Aggro
  • Madness
  • Dredge
And, of course, it makes Gravecrawler all the easier to use as a card.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
My Lawd, I seem to recall you expressing angst over the difficulty of consistently activating the gravecrawler engine in Cube. May I humbly suggest:

This spicy number appears innocuous at first, but fits into many themes, including:

• Stax/Pox
  • Reanimator
  • Aggro
  • Madness
  • Dredge
And, of course, it makes Gravecrawler all the easier to use as a card.
Ah yes, I remember this, the old "Master of None". No point in being flexible if the baseline is terrible across the board!
REJECTED!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Unearth costs are kinda all over the place, but most of them are cheaper than the casting cost. I don't see why this card should be any different as well.

My lord, may I present to you the fermented family of this mildewed mockery of a card! The putrid poster child of posthumous play!

View attachment 1114

Hmmmm, I suppose this is more interesting than one of my current offerings.
S4BZTWJ.jpg

Accepted, however begrudgingly

CML

Contributor
I was giving you the chance to defend yourself councillor, and your silence is deafening.
Besides, my cube has far too many tokens for this punishing beast!

REJECTED!

Emperor Claudius: though I concede that I have been untimely with my oration, it is more important what a counselor says than how long he takes to say it. I refrain from mentioning your own stammer, but cannot pass over the fact that not two weeks ago I read of your jeremiad against the florid rhetoric of the hoodlum barristers. Humbly, Caesar, as a man of justice, learning, and perspicacity, consider my Demon's cause: there's a lot of fun decisions with him, he's a weird card, the Empire needs more 4-drops, and demonic imagery vexes the troublemaking folk of Judea. Thank you.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Emperor Claudius: though I concede that I have been untimely with my oration, it is more important what a counselor says than how long he takes to say it. I refrain from mentioning your own stammer, but cannot pass over the fact that not two weeks ago I read of your jeremiad against the florid rhetoric of the hoodlum barristers. Humbly, Caesar, as a man of justice, learning, and perspicacity, consider my Demon's cause: there's a lot of fun decisions with him, he's a weird card, the Empire needs more 4-drops, and demonic imagery vexes the troublemaking folk of Judea. Thank you.

I stand by my statement, the judea have enough trouble without me hounding them

My liege, I cannot help but notice that you have a cornucopia of Mind Stones. Might I interest you in replacing but one of them with a card that is literally two Mind Stones stapled together? T'would provide some texture and variety to the mana rocks in your domain.

Chris Taylor

Contributor

My liege, I cannot help but notice that you have a cornucopia of Mind Stones. Might I interest you in replacing but one of them with a card that is literally two Mind Stones stapled together? T'would provide some texture and variety to the mana rocks in your domain.

Then perhaps you should look harder!

the accelleration from 4->7 (Assuming land drop) is much less valuable than the accelleration from 2->4 or 1->3, since in my enviornment, the 4-6 cost spells are the payoff. In it's native format where aspiring to 8 mana was worth doing, this card imitated the mind stones in my cube, an early game play helping you cast your payoff card earlier. In my cube, with a mere 3 7 cost spells (None of which are particularly grislebrand quality), you're much better served casting the cheaper payoff cards and getting more bang for your buck.

Worn powerstone has been good to me though, so I reject this offering in good faith, rather than the disdain of your predecessors.

But alas...

REJECTED!