General The Roman Emperor Thread

Who can vouch for this maggot?

If it pleases m'lord, I shall. Forsooth, it's way fun, and also good.

If the merchant is not to thy satisfaction, I propose a refiguration of undead troops. Sarcomancy is a startling include; the Vitellius to thy Vespasian imo. Why not a new offering, which feeds {B} life-pay, spells-matter, and still counts among the ranks of the undead, while also hating them out across the table?

Draw smoothing is an important aspect of Magic, something you are of course well aware of my lord, I am sorry for the platitudes. What I was getting at is that some colors have it easier in this regard than others. White has notoriously had the most trouble in this department, especially now that red gets looting and exile and cast effects more often. I offer you a humble trader that fits with white's aggressive play style, yet offers a way to get through the first few turns smoothly. This card also offers you a way to replace the many little white creatures that undoubtedly were too weak to endure your reign, seeing as I count only four white one drops. Perhaps this little trader will prove more durable?

View attachment 1058
ACCEPTED

First post.
- Underrated card.
- More interesting than a Mana elf.
- Stalls a turn or two while you set up your ramp.
-Removal if you're in RG.
Welcome to the Riptide Empire! REJECTED! Off with his head.

I did run that in my peasant cube, though.
If it pleases m'lord, I shall. Forsooth, it's way fun, and also good.

If the merchant is not to thy satisfaction, I propose a refiguration of undead troops. Sarcomancy is a startling include; the Vitellius to thy Vespasian imo. Why not a new offering, which feeds {B} life-pay, spells-matter, and still counts among the ranks of the undead, while also hating them out across the table?

Ah, but to replace a terrible card with this sideboard garbage!? I don't even main that in SOI draft! REJECTED

First post.
- Underrated card.
- More interesting than a Mana elf.
- Stalls a turn or two while you set up your ramp.
-Removal if you're in RG.

Tinder wall is actually really good, it's basically dark ritual that can block and sometimes kill things. I'd play it but I don't want turn 2 world eaters.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Sire!

It has come to my attention that all of your citizens have a terrible limp.
I think your cobblers have been shirking on their responsibilities as the shoes on your people are of the most terrible workmanship.

That is where this man comes into play:

He is a lightning fast man, who hits every shoe with power and extreme aggression, all at an extremely reasonable cost.

Although, if you wish him to stay, he does require a bit more than he should, but I believe that just hiring him from his mountain home for the day should be sufficient enough and cost-effective.

I think you should also try and clean out this infestation of slugs you have in your kingdom. They are ruining all our bountiful crops, and make quite the racket at night.

Sire!

It has come to my attention that all of your citizens have a terrible limp.
I think your cobblers have been shirking on their responsibilities as the shoes on your people are of the most terrible workmanship.

That is where this man comes into play:

He is a lightning fast man, who hits every shoe with power and extreme aggression, all at an extremely reasonable cost.

Although, if you wish him to stay, he does require a bit more than he should, but I believe that just hiring him from his mountain home for the day should be sufficient enough and cost-effective.

I think you should also try and clean out this infestation of slugs you have in your kingdom. They are ruining all our bountiful crops, and make quite the racket at night.
ACCEPTED. And thus, I ascend from my earthy throne to my kingdom in the heavens. One day, I will return, but until then, I entrust my throne to the loyal Onderzeeboot.

8uPjPZH.jpg

Ode on a Forgotten Huntress

Ave! I bring an elegant design
who could be shifted into black and green
As fit to Khans' playground as in mine
“recursive” beater – let me set the scene
O! her statline favours bold aggression
but fortune calls her somewhere else; the yard
topdeck witness or early aggro scout
the dilemma of her split profession
Regrowth or beats, she shines as either card
but bolt means neither. Liege, please try her out.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

I'll admit, I have little direct experience with this card, liege. However, it was recently vouched for in the EMN spoiler thread, and I thought surely it must be better than Joraga Auxiliary.

Scelus! How dare you misuse an "I use this to great effect in my EDH deck" to imply playability in cube? Are we all to run Derevi, Empyrial Tactician and Zedruu the Greathearted as well? And there's a new card on the horizon that's miles better as well! Truly a heinous crime. What say you consul? *The consul whinnies* Just as I thought! Off with your ear! Let this be a warning, next time it's your head! REJECTED!

Or you could run a +1/+1 counter card worthy of an emperor :p

Hmm... This used to be in my cube, but somehow it did not survive the transition into colorless support. Which is odd, considering that you can cast said colorless spells with this land. It plays well with multiple themes in my cube (colorless and +1/+1 counters) and makes land destruction more valuable (the three Fading Wilds). Take note Peter LaCara! What's that? You're deaf on your left side? Well, stop screaming so you can properly use your right ear, fatue! Anyway, if you are going to suggest a replacement for a subpar card, this is how you do it! What say you consul? *The horse gently taps its hoove three times* As I thought! ACCEPTED!

8uPjPZH.jpg

Ode on a Forgotten Huntress

Ave! I bring an elegant design
who could be shifted into black and green
As fit to Khans' playground as in mine
“recursive” beater – let me set the scene
O! her statline favours bold aggression
but fortune calls her somewhere else; the yard
topdeck witness or early aggro scout
the dilemma of her split profession
Regrowth or beats, she shines as either card

but bolt means neither. Liege, please try her out.
I am conflicted. On the one hand you are too lazy to mock up a card that I can actually play in my cube, on the other hand you delight me with a truly splendid poem. I am appalled and amazed at the same time! As is, I do not feel this fills a design hole that needed filling, and does not add enough over, say, Tasigur's Command to warrant another custom slot. What say you consul? *The horse neighs* Hmm... Yes, very well. I shall be lenient this time and let you keep your limbs as thanks for the entertainment you brought to my palace. Amove te, before I change my mind! REJECTED!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Milord. Knowing the risk of summary execution, I hesitate to bring this up, but... it seems as though Chandra's Phoenix is a bit limp, maybe? I'm currently considering becoming a patron of sorts for this diverting chap named Feldon of the Third Path... but if that's not your style, maybe a Flamewake Phoenix instead?

You call Chandra's Phoenix limp? Have you ever stood in a roaring fire? Because that can be arranged, caudex! As insidious as this insinuation is though, the artificer is in fact a dear acquaintance of mine, even if I don't currently employ him. While you seem to underrate the tenacity and immediate impact of the Phoenix, there's a certain oracle that never quite seems to reach its full potential in my cube. Maybe I'll have him thrown to the lions and welcome my forlorn friend back into the fold. What say you consul? *The horse slowly blinks his eyes in a contemplative mood* Oooh, right, that ought to be fun! ACCEPTED!

The honorable consul reminded me that you have put forward two suggestions. First you badmouth the esteemed Chandra's Phoenix, then you suggest I replace it with its sibling Flamewake Phoenix! Pray tell, what makes this specimen better than the current one? It's so bloodthirsty it won't stay back to protect me with its life, and it refuses to rise from the flames unless I've got a really intimidating body on the board. I don't know if you've looked at my menagerie, but I think even an asine can guess the optimal size for animal cages in a crowded city! What say you consul? *The horse bucks violently* Preposterous indeed! REJECTED! The fires are already burning, I'ld be careful if I were you genericco!

I fear that your humble Essence Depleter has depleted his last:
View attachment 1067

What is this madness?! Essence Depleter may be an underwhelming card, though it's much better than it's given credit for because it gives black decks reach, but black's three drop slot is stacked! Stacked I tell you! Just because I run a lot of customs doesn't mean I arbitrarily add more to my cube whenever I feel like it. The trick is to be conservative and show some restraint, and I regularly reevaluate my cube to see if there's any customs I want to cut. While this is a clear strike against your submission already, it gets even worse. Have you looked at any black three drops lately? Maybe three drops with 4 power? I know that's pretty specific, but I'm just asking, because this would be the first one without a drawback! But wait! Just being a 4/2 for {2}{B} wasn't enough for you, you wanted more! You wanted it to be removal, so you had it hand out a -1/-1 counter. But even that was not good enough for you. Nooooooo, you had to tack on yet another ability! *The horse clears its throat* Ahem. Yes, sorry. The honorable consul reminds me that I have already ranted enough for one day, and that I should really watch my blood pressure. I think we have reached a verdict anyway, what say you consul? *The horse wearily shakes its head* Quite. It shall be done. REJECTED!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

Ah! The court jester makes an appearance! You may be mocked, you may be laughed at, and people might not take you seriously, but a wise emperor heeds the needling words of the fool! Nugas garris, they might say, but by taking your words at face value they make a fool out of themselves! Aston, you have highlighted the enchantment theme in my cube, and pointed out one of its shortcomings. Of course Kruphix's Insight is a folly of a card, but it is a way to dig for more constellation fodder, an effect that has been sorely lacking from my cube. I will acknowledge this deficit and try to set it right. What say you consul? *The horse nods approvingly and whips its tail twice* Splendid! Your suggestions has been ACCEPTED! While the card itself won't make an appearance in my cube, it shall be an inspiration to the enchantment matters theme!

In fact it has already inspired me. Those of you with access may have seen this concoction in my secret laboratory the other night, for the rest this might be your first encounter with Leyline Angler. Any evaluation on this possible new addition to my roster is welcome of course and may be submitted to the honorable consul.

Edit: After looking at possible cuts, I decided to alter Leyline Angler slightly, and add another custom.

Leyline Angler.jpg Autumn Queens Blessing.jpg