Sets (NEO) Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty Previews

So this is a hot take considering that we're only like a week and a half into the format, but this might be my favorite set... ever? Like, I wouldn't be surprised if this eventually dethrones Dominaria as my go to reference for how limited environments should be designed.
I don't think this is a hot take at all, drafting this set has felt less like playing a retail booster draft and more like playing a Cube. They did a really good job of layering the archetypes and keeping the format open-ended while still having very in-depth synergy decks.

landofMordor

Administrator
Edit: C'mon WotC, print "Morbid But For Artifacts This Time" in the Brother's War set you cowards.
This already exists and it's called Revolt and it's one of my favorite mechanics of all time :)
So this is a hot take considering that we're only like a week and a half into the format, but this might be my favorite set... ever? Like, I wouldn't be surprised if this eventually dethrones Dominaria as my go to reference for how limited environments should be designed.
Me too. I'm totally loving this set so far! Just a complete joy to use this format's game pieces. Each one feels... surprising. Or at least, it feels like it has the potential to be surprising if only I could pair it with the right synergy.
i just wish i didn’t suck so bad at the draft format so i could play it more lol
Highly recommend Sam Black's "Drafting Archetypes" podcast if you are (as I suspect) a player who makes decisions consciously rather than on instinct. His approach is well-considered and every time I implement his advice well, it makes me feel like I'm playing on a whole 'nother level. Last night I got to draft NEO in paper with @inscho and others, and thanks to Sam Black, I felt like I had the key to the city in terms of establishing and valuing the right kinds of scaling synergies, without diluting my deck's power.

landofMordor

Administrator
I wasn't a huge fan of revolt, it felt too generic. There were just so many ways to trigger it, that it felt unecessary to build towards it.
If you mean “were just so many ways to trigger” as in, in AER… that’s because it was designed into the set. Yes, creature combat will naturally make Revolt work, in the same way that creature combat naturally makes +1/+1 counters relevant. But to generate an at-will trigger of Revolt, I feel like the designer and drafter both have to be pretty intentional.

Do it again, WotC, and with feeling this time.

More Renegade Ralliers, fewer Night Market Aeronauts.
Preach on!

For clashing in combat Kyodai is much better. Unfortunately the 5 color ability is weird and cluttery, and there's a lot else that slot could be doing besides "surprise blocks".