Sets (NEO) Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty Previews

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
View attachment 6647
Wow what. This is a hell of a Jayemdae Tome variant. 4x cheaper activation, draw 2 discard 1 instead of plain draw, and it self-powers a future beefstick finisher mode that doubles as a 1 mana -> 1/1 token a turn.

Jesus
It's also {2}{W}{U} instead of {4}. That does make a huge difference of course. I will say this looks really good though. It's card advantage, card filtering, and token creation, all for a very affordable price.

The story has been mostly fine, first time reading in a while after I was turned off from WAR. It's just very bland to me. Unfortunately I just can't get over how much the new age tech thing just takes me out of it feeling like Kamigawa. I just have a really strong association of Kamigawa within a traditional folklore/mythology narrative and not some Ready Player One-esque reference mash-up. I'm just not very into it despite liking many of those elements on their own.

I get why they want to frame the narrative like an epic ongoing story but I'd contend that Kamigawa Vignettes and stuff like Loran's Smile, one-off stories that are self-contained, are where they really shine and become memorable. Unfortunately I doubt they ever go back to that story structure except once in a blue moon.

Last edited:
Looked at the singles prices for that Buckle Up precon *started sweating profusely* and then noticed it's a $40 precon. Not a very hard decision!

There seem to be a few blue cards that are very much too good for my current environment but several I will be trying out in the artifact cube and doubt they are coming out anytime soon.

From the Gruul one, I might pick up that Tanuki equipment and Smoke spell--it looks very fun for Treasures archetype. Good stuff.

I will say that I'm bummed that we didn't see even a tiny reference to Arcane spells (I'm not surprised, mind you — just disappointed).

On a different note, as someone who's fiddling with a cube primarily focused on artifact tokens, the fact that both White and Green didn't get anything that works with that this time around saddens me¹. Maybe we'll get some cards that care about Clues or whatever in New Capenna, though.

¹ Would it kill them to give Green some more cards that do something when artifacts get binned? Like, Fangren Marauder is cute with treasure tokens, but it's a bit expensive at 6 mana. Same goes with having an artifact token theme that White can take part in — like, I get why they can't have a Treasure subtheme, but bring back Clues or let Food be an Abzan thing the next time around. White's currently too focused on Artifact cards for my needs.

Look, all they need to do is avoid making 1-drops that ping your opponent whenever an artifact is dumped into the graveyard, and we'll be fine.

Edit: C'mon WotC, print "Morbid But For Artifacts This Time" in the Brother's War set you cowards.

Went 3-0 with the FNM prerelease, opened a real solid pool of U/R stuff with a few cool rares and just solid cards. There was a lot of leveraging with tempo plays and knowing where and when to point certain bits of removal and damage to eke out some wins. Mostly it was about curving out and applying pressure throughout.

UR Artifacts and Stuff

Turns out Flametongue Kavu variants are always good and especially when you can copy them with a Kiki-Jiki variant. Who knew? I actually never saw The Reality Chip or the blue saga of mine, but I did see the Kiki-Jiki saga 2/3 matches and it did a massive amount of work. The 1st chapter giving you a 2/2 that generates treasure on attack was huge for me. Helped fix my colors a little and let me leave up some key pieces of interaction and/or power out some very mana efficient turns. There was one game where the board got stalled but doing the end step trick with not Kiki-Jiki and then doing it again during my next main phase gave me two tokens that generated treasure and allowed me to win a sequence by giving me mana for a counterspell that locked up the game for me. I'm not going to run it in cube because it's a flip card and I've mostly culled them all aside from a few, but it was very very fun to play in Sealed.

I'm also a big fan of Rabbit Battery. Only really got to utilize it in one match but man was turning a 3/4 into a 4/5 and then later turning a 3/3 flyer into a 4/4 flyer big game. There's a lot of neat gameplay with Reinforce and the versatility is great. I'm pretty excited to see how all the cards I've got on my shortlist end up performing in cube.

And as much as I'm not a fan of a lot of aesthetics, I can't deny that the gameplay was really engaging and fun. There are a lot of tiny bodies out there and there are many interesting boardstates to navigate. Hopefully draft is just as fun. I sat out the last two sets because Day/Night is one of the worst paper mechanics I've ever dealt with, but there's nothing quite so cumbersome here so I look forward to getting a few drafts under my belt in the next month.

Last edited:
Another card I think got overlooked is

Specs absolutely smashed my face in during my in-house prerelease, and I was not expecting him to be anywhere near this good. Turns out having Refurbish on legs that draws cards is really really good.

He also triggers off of ninjitsu (edit: he does not trigger off of ninjutsu unless you've managed something really strange) and bouncelands, two perennial favorites of ours. All in all, I think he's a great Azorius card that gets really gross really fast. Take a look at these critters:

And that's without looking at NEO's contributions! All in all, absolutely foul. I think I'm in love.

Last edited:
Some friends convinced me to do the prerelease, and I went 2-1 on the strength of an aggressive Mardu (actually Rakdos splashing White) pile. I went 0-2 in the first match due to heavy flooding, decided to cut back to 14 lands, and then went 4-0 for the rest of the night.

I had a game turn around because I top-decked a Soul Transfer, exiled a Heiko Yamazaki, and grabbed a Sunblade Samurai I had previously channeled. Oh, sure, I then slapped a buffed-up Eater of Virtue on it, but I consistently was dropping 5 and 6 drops on curve in my 14 land deck. It was stupid.

EDIT: For reference, I've never managed to go 2-1 before.

Last edited:
Tameshi has a non-creature clause that makes his first ability much harder to build around (outside of just using his second ability obviously).
Well, that's prerelease for you. My opponent had game 3 locked up pretty well regardless, though, so I don't think it would have made much of a difference.

It certainly makes him harder to build around. Maybe we've finally found the right shell for Razor Boomerang . . . ?