General "Looking for a card"-Thread

Sentinel uses the fact that your opponents are limited in mana and goes well with the second card.
Canonist if you have an artifact aggro deck in your cube can really put a wrench in opponent's plan.
Vryn Wingmare is a second, worse 2 mana Thalia.
Archon and 3 mana Thalia constrain mana and are solid beaters.

The last two can be pretty miserable to play against, but I think Balance is a fun puzzle especially in planeswalker light cubes.

I run almost all the cards you listed Inscho! I actually had Death Cloud in for a while but I found it was mostly a second or third copy of Wildfire in how it played.

As for Nanonox's suggestions, I think Winter Orb is absurdly strong. Balance...I tried it but it's just too cheap. If it were more expensive when it comes to mana it would be "balanced for cube", but it's so cheap it pretty much compensated any and all of its drawbacks. Interestingly, there are not any rebalanced versions of it. Balancing Acts works pretty differently, for example.

I think I should try Ethersworn Canonist and perhaps get Big Thalia back in. But she felt less of a synergy piece and more of a goodstuff creature so I cut it in my last revision.

Reactions: dbs
I haven't built a cube archetype for it, but since super-ramp is one of my favorite things...

EDIT: OK, I might as well go into a bit more detail.

One of the flaws with ramp in general is that it's very much an A+B combo deck in disguise — you have ramp cards and ramp targets. What you really want to encourage this style of deck are cards that fit into both categories. And, when it comes to super-ramp, you really want ramp targets that reward you for continuing to ramp. Beanstalk Giant gets bigger whenever you cast a Rampant Growth, while the Saga eventually turns all future mana dorks into hydras.

Last edited:
Another cool way to make land based ramp not of zero worth after a few turns is to include landfall. It's a theme that goes well with super ramp and is also focused in Gx. There are also a lot of options at different power levels

I'm missing more cool options for sure.

I'm looking for a reprinted card with a dragon in the art. I think the dragon is yellowish-brown and roaring. I think it's an instant or sorcery. The old art likely didn't have a dragon in it.

I remember thinking the new art could quality it for Onslaught Masters, but I didn't write it down and lost what it was.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm looking for a reprinted card with a dragon in the art. I think the dragon is yellowish-brown and roaring. I think it's an instant or sorcery. The old art likely didn't have a dragon in it.

I remember thinking the new art could quality it for Onslaught Masters, but I didn't write it down and lost what it was.
I got some Scryfall magic for you: "art:dragon (t:instant or t:sorcery) new:art is:reprint" I hope you find your card! :)

I'm realizing I never look at anything but the art's main subject. I didn't see the soldiers in half of
art:soldier -t:soldier -o:soldier

EDIT: Some of the "beasts" seem to be tagged as a beast in concept, despite being an elemental or something else...

EDIT2: Currently in disbelief over how many cards have a bird wayyy in the background. I keep squinting to find the birds like it's some kind of Where's Waldo?, forgetting that I'm here for bird-centric art.

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm realizing I never look at anything but the art's main subject. I didn't see the soldiers in half of

EDIT: Some of the "beasts" seem to be tagged as a beast in concept, despite being an elemental or something else...

EDIT2: Currently in disbelief over how many cards have a bird wayyy in the background. I keep squinting to find the birds like it's some kind of Where's Waldo?, forgetting that I'm here for bird-centric art.
I pored over hundreds of basic land art to find the perfect lands for my Derevi, Empyrial Tactician commander deck way back when I built it. This would have been so much easier! :D (I ended up using the M12 Forest, the ROE Island, and the ARC Plains).

18637e89-4794-46a8-bb80-b35211648d4f.jpg
Nice HUMAN Druid in my elf search...

Used the art: (onslaught creature type) tag to add 27 cards with thematic art. Some will end up getting cut, but that's a significant thematic improvement. Thanks, @Onderzeeboot.

The cards with the correct art are in the most recent blog post if anyone's curious. I dunno how to post the specific arts here.

Last edited: