Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

You could build an entire format around Vivien’s Arkbow

I call it The Ark. Or Ark Cubing.

Each player begins with one on the battlefield. They never draw cards from their library. Each turn they take one Basic land from the Basic Land Box. Library is full of creatures.

Not a bad compromise for moving Momir Basic (or whatever it's called) to paper magic.

sad but understandable
EDIT; are you gonna try anything with the Turtle+Renewal and/or Gloomshrieker+Geothermal loop that’s available in the limited format?

Enchantments are the least supported card type in my cube, after walkers. You can draft a "spells deck", an "artifact deck", even a "lands deck", but no "enchantments deck" sadly. So cards like that Renewal or Geothermal Kami would be bad inclusions in the first place.

But you can combine Kor Skyfisher/Emancipation Angel with Gravedigger/Disciple of the Sun for the same effect, or similarly Ghostly flicker your Archaeomancer. I think have I have enough cute 2-card-loops as it is :D

Btw, I would love to get artifact/enchantment support, just like it's the default for instants and sorceries to be batched together. It would make it so much easier to support. I'm just getting away with artifacts as a theme so easily because I have such a large colorless section, but enchantments? I still feel like you need to go out of your way to make them work alone.

what i would love to see is this :
white excavator 2w
creature-human whatever
when this etb, you may mill up to some number, then return one artifact or enchantment from yard to hand
3/2

Chris Taylor

Contributor
what i would love to see is this :
white excavator 2w
creature-human whatever
when this etb, you may mill up to some number, then return one artifact or enchantment from yard to hand
3/2
That'd be sweet, but I think you're going to have to custom that one. WotC seems pretty opposed to giving White easy ways to fill the graveyard.
Yeah sadly there are ZERO mono white cards that mill at all

I think realistically you're getting an Auramancer sidegrade barring some rare or mythic with a pile of text

Not particularly. Bridge decks aren't really even GY decks in any "fair" sense, because they rely on the looping creatures as Bridge procs on creature going battlefield->graveyard.

No, cool as it is. You can't even use it to stabilize the board because killing any nontoken creature on the opponent's side ends the effect, meaning that decks have be okay with either using the zombies as resources or waiting for a single attack. That makes it incredibly narrow while requiring a lot of investment for either

--two or three 2/2 zombies
or
--an arbitrarily large number of zombies

depending on whether you're going infinite as Sigh mentioned, but I'm not seeing things like that in your cube. And a handful of tokens doesn't seem worth it to me for the number of times this is going to do stone-cold nothing.

Reactions: dbs

Is Bridge from Below the example of a do-nothing enchantment that Velrun was looking for? Because it does literally nothing when it's on the battlefield, and really could've been any card type (though making it an Instant or Sorcery would've probably been a bit broken).

No of course not

No, cool as it is. You can't even use it to stabilize the board because killing any nontoken creature on the opponent's side ends the effect, meaning that decks have be okay with either using the zombies as resources or waiting for a single attack. That makes it incredibly narrow while requiring a lot of investment for either

--two or three 2/2 zombies
or
--an arbitrarily large number of zombies

depending on whether you're going infinite as Sigh mentioned, but I'm not seeing things like that in your cube. And a handful of tokens doesn't seem worth it to me for the number of times this is going to do stone-cold nothing.

Right now I like having Bridge as a fun-of in my list, but I can see cutting it. It requires that you

(1) can fill your yard
(2) can sacrifice your creatures.

That's a relatively narrow criterion (there's not many types of decks that do both of these). But these are criterion you might already be meeting in which case you can slam bridge.

If you meet this criterion you can get two or three 2/2 zombies for zero mana and for zero cards used. Or you go-off and get a whole bunch of them. But unlike in constructed you're never going to have 2-3 bridges in the yard to really break the game in a dedicated way. So in that sense Bridge is always gravy, not a game plan. I'd say the biggest downside (aside from the deckbuilding criterion) is that it's a pretty uninteractive card.

Does this have a place in fair graveyard decks?
Sadly the creature version totally missed the part where it is useful just being in your graveyard.
I like Bridge from Below very much (in theory) as it is a memorable "build around me" card. In practice I couldn't get it to work because of what @dbs said.
So in that sense Bridge is always gravy, not a game plan.
Perfect description of why I don't run it. I feel that if you jump through so many hoops for a payoff the card should at least be a potential win condition.

How do you feel about this card in this deck:

Example Draft

Deck on CubeCobra

Is it a turn 3 Marionette Master + potential backup of Scrap Trawler? Or can 'opponent's choice' cards never work?

Reactions: dbs
I'm an unnecessarily big fan of Pia's Revolution. The thing is that you're always going to get the worse option... but when the choices are between "I lava spike your face" and "I get more fuel for my artifact-cracking synergies", it's harder for villain to figure out which is worse.