General Secret Lair Spoilers

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I wish they stopped making Mother of Runes look "cool", the original concept is much better than all these sexy people doing fancy stuff.
Sexy people? I don't think any of these arts tried to do that. Other than that I agree the original concept was good, and felt more like a mother than most of the other new arts, except for this one (which incidentally is the only one showing a child... but no runes).

1649339114191.png

I'ld like one art actually depicting a middle aged woman blessing a young child by drawing a rune on their forehead in the future. You know, so that it feels like a mother of runes. Strictly speaking, none of the seven existing arts perfectly does justice to the entire card name.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
One can argue that it’s the name that doesn’t do justice to the art. It could go both ways. Maybe the card should have been named Kind Teadrinker
Oh. With the art blown up like that, you can actually see something akin to runes on the book covers on the shelf behind Mom, as well as on the slip of paper the tiny creature in the front is scribbling on. Also, her fingernails are so long, it gives her hand a claw-like appearance. Weird.

Is the Matt Jukes stuff a late April Fool's?
He's like a gallery artist of some sort who's art doesn't really translate well to card size.
Looking into the guy... he's got a good scam going, I guess?
Idk I think the style is kinda nice when it's large enough that you can actually see the detail.
02_sunset_catalogue.jpg

I'll be honest. This looks like the stuff you can buy at IKEA. Good artist can make deceptively simple looking art though.
It really does lol

what's scammy about selling art... you make? People that sell color palettes and photoshop brushes and whatnot also tend to have expansive collections.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah TBH if we're going to be dunking on someone here, it probably ought to be either WotC for continuing to price secret lairs like they do, or people for actually buying these?

It's not 40$ for 5 basic lands bad, but allied buddy lands are like, 1$

Fuck me I typed all this up and then it turns out Glacial Fortress is ~5$ anyways so I have yet again proven I can't interact with mtg finance questions without getting a headache and feeling worse

Yeah TBH if we're going to be dunking on someone here, it probably ought to be either WotC for continuing to price secret lairs like they do, or people for actually buying these?

It's not 40$ for 5 basic lands bad, but allied buddy lands are like, 1$

Fuck me I typed all this up and then it turns out Glacial Fortress is ~5$ anyways so I have yet again proven I can't interact with mtg finance questions without getting a headache and feeling worse
To be fair, the Ally buddy lands were only like 75 cents until Wizards reprinted them in Ixalan and people remembered they exist. They became a few dollars during their second jilt in Standard and never lost all the value they gained. This is price memory or something along those lines.

It's less that and more the fact that he's making a decent chunk of change off of selling a bunch of very similar pieces.
I mean ok? It definitely has more commercial appeal and potential uniformity for hotels and the like than something like fantasy art might. I don't think it's fair to call that a scam (or even an April fools joke, for that matter!).

Why they decided to put these prints on some Magic cards, I'm not sure, but I don't think there's anything intrinsically wrong with the art other than the fact that it doesn't scale well to card size online.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
To be fair, the Ally buddy lands were only like 75 cents until Wizards reprinted them in Ixalan and people remembered they exist. They became a few dollars during their second jilt in Standard and never lost all the value they gained. This is price memory or something along those lines.
Like I feel you but I still hate this whole sentence :p

Oh, sorry, I just realized the issue.

If we were in person, I'd be inflecting the word "scam" to make it clear that I'm joking. I don't actually think that Jukes is running a scam — I think that he's very fortunate that he has buyers for his work, and that he can effectively pull from the same well repeatedly without losing said buyers.

Like I feel you but I still hate this whole sentence :p
Oh true I think it's ridiculous that these cards saw no play for like half a decade and then all of the sudden everyone decided they were good because they were in a crappy standard set.

Oh, sorry, I just realized the issue.

If we were in person, I'd be inflecting the word "scam" to make it clear that I'm joking. I don't actually think that Jukes is running a scam — I think that he's very fortunate that he has buyers for his work, and that he can effectively pull from the same well repeatedly without losing said buyers.
He's got the 10 treasure tokens for Revel in Riches

Secret Lair: Fortnite I did not see on my radar at all. Also that name and flavor text is totally a Dragon Ball ripoff? The DB "The Cube" even does interplanar transportation.

Universes Beyond was about 5 years to late for the (2nd) most obvious IP co-oporation: Game of Thrones.

It wouldn't surprise me if we got a Marvel or Avengers set within the next 5 years.

Do you guys think we will ever see a Pokemon or Hearthstone set?

Universes Beyond was about 5 years to late for the (2nd) most obvious IP co-oporation: Game of Thrones.

It wouldn't surprise me if we got a Marvel or Avengers set within the next 5 years.

Do you guys think we will ever see a Pokemon or Hearthstone set?
i would LOVE pokémon and hearthstone UBs