General Custom Cards: The Lab

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Is Nimbus Maze really that bad? It provides the color that you don't have if you're on basics.
Which a basic land of the other color would also do. It only taps for two colors if you already have access to both colors (through basic land types). It’s really, really situational and reads a lot better than it plays. It's only saving grace, imo, is that it at least always enters the battlefield untapped.

Last edited:
Which a basic land of the other color would also do. It only taps for two colors if you already have access to both colors (through basic land types). It’s really, really situational and reads a lot better than it plays. It's only saving grace, imo, is that it at least always enters the battlefield untapped.
A basic plains does not tap for blue if you already have a basic plains ;)

Why have you changed the rules text? If I cast Scythe Doll from the graveyard using something like Yawgmoth’s Will I think it will trigger twice: once when I cast it and once when it enters the battlefield.
It wouldn't — if you cast Scythe Doll from your graveyard, you'd draw two cards and lose 2 life when you cast it... and then it'd enter the battlefield from the stack.

rule 400.7 strikes again....

(I really don't see the need for the cast trigger addition though, unless you actively want the ability to be counter-proof for some reason)

Yo, this art is super cute! (Shreya Shetti)

mb u need this art for a pet card. (get it?! PET card!!!)

uh, just to jot something down
{R} Lovable Dragonling
Creature - Dragon

{G/W} : Gain 2 life when a human, goblin or elf enters the battlefield.
When you control 5 total lands or 3 basic land types among lands on the battlefield, grow this lil' bebe up with two +1/+1 counters, and it has flying now.
2/1

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
This art reminds me very much of

Unlikely Allies {1}{W}
Sorcery
Create a 1/1 white Human Noble creature token and a 1/1 red Dragon creature token with flying.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I do find it a bit weird to be making a 1/1 dragon token, regardless of the art :p
I've been trying to find a use for this art for a while now:
sam-hogg-eidy-bo-bar.jpg

Mermaids and Losing your footing by Sam Hogg
So much of the identity of red that gets expressed in magic is Rage, Fury, Conflict, War, Blood etc, with the occasional glance of anything else (Cathartic Reunion really deserves better art, I always thought Chandra would be more of an ugly cry kinda person but then again this art is hardly the worst thing to happen to her character)
Red is the color of passion and joy too, we just don't see it because it doesn't make for a good 2 drop or burn spell :p

Anyway here's some shit I made over the last few days:
01 Event Horizon.png02 Contingency.png02 Dreamnibbler.pngServant of the Sphinx.png03 Gravebog Witch.png03 Wrench Soul.png07 Wailing Mourner.png

Also: did you know they never made a token for spawning pit? The card's a solid sac outlet, and it lets you turn a board into ~1.5x as many sac triggers if that's what you need.
1664125465629.png
I'm not sure if this is really the "correct" vibe for an ARTIFACT CREATURE named SPAWN but hey, I'm even less sure what the "correct" vibe even is.

{U} to draw a card, then draw a 2/1 flier that costs {1}{U}.
That's super duper strong.
It also mills your graveyard.

Cloudkin Seer costs {2}{U} and doesn't really compare. You can't draw lands with it early. You can't tempo with it on turn 2. It's just a mediocre card where this is almost broken. If not broken.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Correct. It is very strong. I'm unsure if it's too strong.
If it's too strong, I think it's strong in the way brainstorm or fable of the mirror breaker is strong, where it just kinda does everything at once for very cheap but doesn't actively ruin the game in a way that say, hellrider, ragavan or armageddon might be too strong.
And while those kinds of effects might be frustrating in a constructed context where their presence stops you from building any other deck (See every arena format right now re Fable) it does less to affect a cube for virtue of being one copy which might not even be played.