General Fight Club

Barrin has always felt gross to me. Frankly, the whole "do a thing, draw a card" paradigm of engine-building feels incredibly uninspired and on-rails. It's probably just a me thing, though.
I do feel you on the engine-building cards feeling so drawn out in this day and age of MTG, but I do like Barrin's focus on a trigger that feels a bit underrepresented in the card space. And I do really love the new ways in which WotC is trying to get away from redundant "draw a card", "create a 1/1 token", "gain a life, lose a life" effects in new card designs. Notably, evergreen tokens like Clues, Treasure, and Blood go a long way to feed into other engine pieces that care about artifacts entering/leaving the battlefield or discarding cards to Blood. Effects of one engine piece bleeding into multiple other potential engine triggers makes assembling these components in a draft and in game a fun little puzzle.

Oh, sure, the effect it triggers on makes for a cool deck, I just hate that the payoff is so big and clunky. 100% with you on that, and I agree that making clues would be super cool--tough maybe that would be a better Innistrad card? Some sort of detective that investigates when things are bounced?

is it the extra blue that adds so much inertia to people liking Barrin? Man-o'-war is/was a near staple and does usually less with less (none) secondary upside. Unless I'm just behind the times and people have dropped MOW a long time ago

Is it the extra blue that adds so much inertia to people liking Barrin?
I think it's the fact that he's a legendary character that people know, especially people who have been playing the game for a long time.

Man-o'-war is/was a near staple and does usually less with less (none) secondary upside. Unless I'm just behind the times and people have dropped MOW a long time ago
Man-o'-war is kind of like Venser in that it's one of those cards that used to be really good when the creature base of the average Cube was mostly expensive cards with no ETB abilities, but has gotten significantly worse over time as mana values have decreased and ETB value has increased. It's still good in lower power and slower environments, but it's more of a "Masters Set" Cube card now instead of a "Constructed-Like" Cube card (unless you're building a pre-Lorwyn Standard format power level Cube, I'd guess it's still good there.)

So... which of the following Kicker cards shouts "wow, I want to cast that" the most to you?

(I might end up with Fight With Fire + one of the other two.)

Reactions: dbs
It's worth noting that Fight with Fire is mainly a problem when you have a lot of ramp. I'm, weirdly enough, ramp-less (mostly because I want my ramp spells to cost one-and-a-half mana, no more and no less), and it's been a very fair way to reward Red decks for going long. But certainly if you have a ton of treasures and ramp lying around it'll close out games T5.

I love cubing classic magic cards. But now I've come to consider replacing 'Tog, because Vohar played so well in DMU. And while they fulfil different roles, they go into the same decks: Madness, Dredge, Spells and many control decks.

What do you guys think?

4 lines of text with deceptive depth that rewards you for playing the game and goes in fast and slow UB decks vs 9 lines of text that just does exactly what it says and demands a grindy value oriented control deck? Don't get me wrong I love Vohar but Psychatog is just cooler.

Psychatog is iconic, very simple to understand but at the same time very interesting to play, is an already consolidated card and I would never take it out.

BUT you may just try one or two drafts with the new guy at Psychatog's place and see what your friends like better

4 lines of text with deceptive depth that rewards you for playing the game and goes in fast and slow UB decks vs 9 lines of text that just does exactly what it says and demands a grindy value oriented control deck? Don't get me wrong I love Vohar but Psychatog is just cooler.

I'm convinced. Psychatog will stay. Probably forever.

Thanks guys!

Is it a massive downgrade if I run Haruspex instead of Reaper? It's both a human and a wizard and I often wish it had those two types.

I think the downside is mininal of any. The morph can really get people if there are at least a couple other morphs in most colors.