Card/Deck Low Power Card Spotlight

That one inparticular seems a little too weak. I don't think turning one of your saprolings into a bear with trample and vigilance is worth a card.

I actually kinda prefer this:

precisely due to it avoiding that feast or famine thing Warhammer has. The defensive keyword being Vigilance over Lifelink is the big difference in my experience, since that (Plus the first strike) really encourages attacking with whatever you've attached it to. Plus there's the haste, so if you do get blown out with removal, a topdecked creature (Or one held back to dodge a wrath) is still going to be scary.

That being said I no longer run either as I culled my equipment really heavily when I cut Stoneforge, so none of this is from recent experience with the card, maybe low power is too fast now :p

I don't know, I think Sword of Vengeance won't be that different. Vigilance and first strike means once you get it going, it's almost impossible to beat it without a lotof removal (or artifact removal).

I chose to retry an artifact creature that only was on the battlefield once or twice some years ago within my cube's games and deserves more testing. I remember one moment where I thought 'huh, that is actually strong', so I'll give it a chance.

The trample and lifelink combo is the real killer of the warhammer. It pushes damage through to the opponent even if they are blocking/trading the attacker, and it massively buffs your life at the same time.

Pushing down your opponents life at the same time it's bolstering yours is a hard combo to beat. (if it doesn't fall onto the other side of the coin where it's just too expensive in that games context so massively flops).

Sword of Vengeance at least grants the opponent the opportunity to race lifetotals.

I've had decent success with the following "slightly beefy" equips:

I remember cutting this thing like 4 years ago because it felt a little too oppressive, once you got it going. But now I am looking for a cool midrange equipment that can help closing out a game and this one I still like the best among those I am not already running. So, I wanted to ask: What do people think of this card today in lower powered environments?
Would a vehicle fill the same role?

These are kind of equipment if you squint a little. I think these ones play fairly and will end games.

Trusty Machete is a good option too, slight worse than Bonesplitter but that's plenty good still. Vulshok Morningstar is quite good. I see those three as in a spectrum of better with evasion versus better without evasion.

Loxodon Warhammer was a bomb in my cube and I might bring it back to try in the slightly higher power Macroarchetype cube. It does sometime not do anything because you can't afford the 6 mana and keep your creature alive, but the ability to quash any sort of race is wild. I don't think there's any other equipment that makes me more excited to play it besides the Swords of X and Y which have the problem of randomly hosing decks. I encourage you to try Warhammer again and cut it again if it causes problems!

The trample and lifelink combo is the real killer of the warhammer. It pushes damage through to the opponent even if they are blocking/trading the attacker, and it massively buffs your life at the same time.

Pushing down your opponents life at the same time it's bolstering yours is a hard combo to beat. (if it doesn't fall onto the other side of the coin where it's just too expensive in that games context so massively flops).

Sword of Vengeance at least grants the opponent the opportunity to race lifetotals.

I've had decent success with the following "slightly beefy" equips:

Morningstar has always been in my cube.

Heirloom Blade has the practical downside of looking at creature types. I do run quite a few cards that haven't all their creature types written and due to constant type updates I don't want to bother with it. Human, Phyrexian, Dinosaur ... they always do this.

Would a vehicle fill the same role?

These are kind of equipment if you squint a little. I think these ones play fairly and will end games.

I'm not a fan of vehicles. It's not even that they tend to be either too bad or too good or that they have an ugly frame, the biggest downer for me is, that they don't synergize with creature abilities like equipment does. Flying, lifelink, double steike, saboteur triggers ... a trusty machete can be much more dangerous in the hands (or claws or tentacles) of the right creature. Vehicles don't have that while still requiring creatures, which is kinda lame.

Most of the equipment mentioned here I already run. Bonesplitter, Machete, Morningstar ... I actually have 15 equipment already, so I'll give the Juggernaut it's chance first. Thanks everyone!

Is a zero mana slowtrip with a tiny bit of extra value something that decks play at face value? Or do you need artifact synergies, or delirium or something specific like that?

I think you need to care about artifacts, prowess, or graveyard (delirium, delve) for these to matter, or have decks of a size such that being a card thinner can matter (20 card mirco-cubes, for example). Otherwise these are just air, and worse, could signal to drafters that such things are supported

Is a zero mana slowtrip with a tiny bit of extra value something that decks play at face value? Or do you need artifact synergies, or delirium or something specific like that?
You can look to any format where these are legal to see that this effect is generally undesirable in decks that aren't looking to replay them from the graveyard, get higher spell velocity, or enable delirium and/or delve. In a regular deck it marginally trims your deck size at the cost of making mulligan decisions more difficult and randomly delaying your topdecks by a turn. And sometimes you get hosed by thalias and chalices of the void, which is generally more of a constructed concern than it is in cube, but people didn't randomly put manamorphose into their decks when it was in standard either where those effects didn't exist.

I just this was downgraded to common in Double Masters. I've been cubing it for a while but haven't seen it in action that often, remember it was solid once in a {B/R} sac deck and just a Goblin Assailant once in {R/G} aggro. What do people think of it? I wish it could sac artifacts too but still think it's pretty deece?

Chris Taylor

Contributor

I just this was downgraded to common in Double Masters. I've been cubing it for a while but haven't seen it in action that often, remember it was solid once in a {B/R} sac deck and just a Goblin Assailant once in {R/G} aggro. What do people think of it? I wish it could sac artifacts too but still think it's pretty deece?

I've found little success with any sac outlet that costs mana to use, no matter the effect.

This is what I run right now. Altar of dementia has been a real treat, adds a sweet new dimension to aristocrats, thank @Dom Harvey.
I like Spawning Pit in that it acts as kind of a multiplier on your total creature count. 4 creatures + 3 mana = 7 death triggers.
Blasting Station can be a bit finicky, but I think it's in a good way. This is a much more interesting way to limit how much you can do this per turn, as opposed to mana where it's just "oh I can take a turn off to do this in any real capacity"

agree with chris, even in low power, sac outlets should be free. i’ll make an exception for Ravenous Squirrel cuz it is a big beater that happens to have a sac outlet mana sink

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I've found the Oracle to be pretty disappointing in practice, it's best performance was in a RDW list with a Kari Zev and Young Pyromancer where it was digging for cheap burn spells as a source of reach. Didn't really do anything in the aristocrats sorts of decks other than waste a pick before I ended up cutting it. That said, if the former sounds like something you want to be doing, go for it.

Does anyone cube this card or has in the past? It has overperformed for me in BRO but I don't find any discussion it here. It now it is kinda narrow, but at least it's colorless and relatively cheap, so it can go into almost any artifact deck out there.

How many other artifacts would you want in a deck to run it? I'm currently cubing 72 artifacts at 500, which means one card out of seven is an artifact. From experience I can tell, that you don't have to go all in on the theme to get 10 in your list, and if you do, you could easily get to 15.