Sets (ONE) Phyrexia: All Will Be One Previews

View attachment 7921

Has this been discussed yet? Checks a lot of boxes for me.....pseudo edric, spymaster of trest, pseudo master of etherium. Is an artifact. Solid base stats.....Fun with Urza, Lord High Artificer, Springleaf Drum, Earthcraft, etc
I really like the archetype intersections on this too.

One thing not going for it, in my mind, is mentally tracking how this affects nonblue artifact creatures and blue nonartifact creatures, and blue artifact creatures, during a turn in which you can also make any creature both of those... thankfully only on your turn (for combat math reasons). Remembering which gets what and that it can be both will throw me through a loop on the first few plays of it, I imagine.

Definitely want to try it out regardless. Cool card!

I prefer the original, honestly:

EDIT: In general, this thing is WAY easier to track. It gives blue creatures two things (+1/+1 and "tap to add {c}{c} for artifacts"), and then gives you an ability to turn artifact creatures blue for a turn (with no timing restriction!).

Compare that to "blue creatures loot when they tap, artifact creatures get +1/+1, and you can turn creatures into blue artifact creatures for a turn". That's just so... inelegant.

Last edited:
I prefer the original, honestly:

EDIT: In general, this thing is WAY easier to track. It gives blue creatures two things (+1/+1 and "tap to add {c}{c} for artifacts"), and then gives you an ability to turn artifact creatures blue for a turn (with no timing restriction!).

Compare that to "blue creatures loot when they tap, artifact creatures get +1/+1, and you can turn creatures into blue artifact creatures for a turn". That's just so... inelegant.
if this card were a 3/4 it would be sick. i always loved its design

View attachment 7921

Has this been discussed yet? Checks a lot of boxes for me.....pseudo edric, spymaster of trest, pseudo master of etherium. Is an artifact. Solid base stats.....Fun with Urza, Lord High Artificer, Springleaf Drum, Earthcraft, etc

Is this really so complicated to understand? I had it on my inclusions list for all of the cross-synergies it provides, but I'm incredibly wary of cards that take up too much complexity without consummate payoff.

If y'all saw it in a draft for the first time, would you feel like you got 80% of the card or more from a quick read-through?

landofMordor

Administrator
Is this really so complicated to understand? I had it on my inclusions list for all of the cross-synergies it provides, but I'm incredibly wary of cards that take up too much complexity without consummate payoff.

If y'all saw it in a draft for the first time, would you feel like you got 80% of the card or more from a quick read-through?
"go to damage? ok i'll pay 4 life to activate this random summoning-sick dude twice, plague wind you"

yeah i'm not about it, and my dislike of it scales with the inexperience of my players. I personally would get it, but it still makes blocking a big hassle, instead of an enjoyable decision sequence. (plus, I don't think it's powerful at all.)

... um yeah so I just re-read it and realized even I didn't read it correctly. Sorcery-speed activations only. Well, I just lost that game to my own cardboard, I guess. I'll side it out during Game 2 because it wasn't powerful or fun even when I was mis-reading it.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
"go to damage? ok i'll pay 4 life to activate this random summoning-sick dude twice, plague wind you"

yeah i'm not about it, and my dislike of it scales with the inexperience of my players. I personally would get it, but it still makes blocking a big hassle, instead of an enjoyable decision sequence. (plus, I don't think it's powerful at all.)

... um yeah so I just re-read it and realized even I didn't read it correctly. Sorcery-speed activations only. Well, I just lost that game to my own cardboard, I guess. I'll side it out during Game 2 because it wasn't powerful or fun even when I was mis-reading it.
Case in point, I think. I read your post and was like: "Wait, this activates only as a sorcery?" There's just too much going on, and none of it is particularly elegant or intuitive.

this was absolutely savage, i think i would listen to a podcast of just you roasting bad cards

More than most cards in the set. It's a fresh design that hasn't been done before, yet only using basic mtg mechanics and simply elegant at it. That being said, it's pretty low powered still I feel like. Like, I wouldn't be crazy about it if it just cantripped.

EDIT: Make it +2 toughness and I'd try it. The art is incredible.

Last edited:
The best MV>4 green walker, without a doubt. That said, my high-end is already quite full in the color, and the cards I have there currently have the creature type line, which is quite important for the synergies I support. As I continue to try to lower the average MV of my cube to make for more interactive gameplay (and to prevent newer drafters from drafting oops all 4 drops decks that can't keep up) I'm more hesitant around cards like this, but we'll see how I feel after getting my hands on it.

I know this is a slightly older post at this point, but the more I think about this new Nissa the less I like her. I thought this might be an interesting discussion.

I think this Nissa is good when she's able to win the game with her faux-craterhoof impression. While I think she's clearly worse as a big overrun than hoofdaddy (if you're ramping her out she might be giving as little as +3/+3, and she doesn't come with a free body– you need to have enough extra creatures lying around to kill the opponent after tapping your mana dorks), the fact that she's a pretty modal Planeswalker can make up for this weakness. She's definitely better than the other 7 Drop Green Walker (although maybe not better than Karn?)

So what's the problem? I don't think she is better than the commonly used 5 mana options, even when considering her modality. Cards like Nissa, Who Shakes the World, Wrenn and Seven, and Vivien, Monster's Advocate are all able to be used to their fullest extent when a player reaches turhn 5. While Nissa, Ascended Animist can start making 4/4s or blowing up artifacts or enchantments on 5, I am not convinced that is better than the high synergy outcomes the other three common 5s can provide. You really need to be getting up to 7 for her to be fantastic in my view, and you need to have enough forests and spare creatures for that ability to pop off. Compare that to Nissa, Who Shakes the World, who can immediately start ramping a player to the moon the turn she comes into play, Vivien, who can be a combo and draw engine, or Wrenn and Seven, who has interesting graveyard and land synergies and makes powerful scaling tokens .

Essentially, I think Nissa, Ascended Animist is cool and unique, and when she works I think she's a bit beating. However, I think she is just one of several interesting options for Big Green Walker, and isn't necessarily the best. I think Nissa, Who Shakes the World still probably holds that title.

What does everyone else think?