General "Looking for a card"-Thread

Yeah... I wish it didn't have either improvise or ward {4} (4!) Or that it was a base 5/5 but didn't get +1/+1 counters.

I find it really disappointing that there isn't really a middle ground between the following two cards:

EDIT: Wait, am I reading the Cannoneer right? It looks like it triggers itself on ETB, so Sneak Attacking it (or Arms Racing it) into play will give you an unblockable 5/5 with ward 4. I'm... not a fan.

Nope, it doesn't trigger itself. Just like you don't gain a life by casting Soul Warden. Permanents with an ability triggering of creatures entering the battlefield, can't trigger themself. Only, of course, when you have a wording like on Dragonspark Reactor for example.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
EDIT: Wait, am I reading the Cannoneer right? It looks like it triggers itself on ETB, so Sneak Attacking it (or Arms Racing it) into play will give you an unblockable 5/5 with ward 4. I'm... not a fan.
Nope, it doesn't trigger itself. Just like you don't gain a life by casting Soul Warden. Permanents with an ability triggering of creatures entering the battlefield, can't trigger themself. Only, of course, when you have a wording like on Dragonspark Reactor for example.
Kappa Cannoneer absolutely does trigger itself! Soul Warden says "whenever another creature enters the battlefield", emphasis mine. The Kappa lacks the "another" qualifier, so when it etb's, it sees an artifact entering the battlefield. See also this Cranial Insertion for confirmation from an actual judge.

Kappa Cannoneer absolutely does trigger itself! Soul Warden says "whenever another creature enters the battlefield", emphasis mine. The Kappa lacks the "another" qualifier, so when it etb's, it sees an artifact entering the battlefield. See also this Cranial Insertion for confirmation from an actual judge.
The problem here is that they have accustomed us to cards that say "whenever [CARDNAME] or another [related thing] enters the battlefield, [...]". I also thought it didn't trigger itself because of this until I played with it on Forge, it triggered itself, thought it was a bug and found confirmation online that it does trigger itself. The argument I found is that they resolve the doubt in standard sets and they use the shorter text in cards that go directly into eternal formats because their players are more enfranchised and know the rules better (hmm what? This was for commander and commander is mostly a casual format...)

Wow, Glassdust Hulk never looked interesting but it does after seeng the cannoneer. Dunno, I just want to add the experience to my cube, at least temporarily, of " I was playing a casual game of Magic and then a Blastoise destroyed me with its Hydro Cannon".

Yeah it triggers by itself which makes it a really odd design. It could easily have been a 5/5 that had the word ‘another’.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah it triggers by itself which makes it a really odd design. It could easily have been a 5/5 that had the word ‘another’.
At least Fury is a relevant answer to Kappa this way. Oh who are we kidding, it's just silly and unnecessary to have the Kappa trigger on itself. They should have stuck to "another" and be done with it.

Wow, Glassdust Hulk never looked interesting but it does after seeng the cannoneer. Dunno, I just want to add the experience to my cube, at least temporarily, of " I was playing a casual game of Magic and then a Blastoise destroyed me with its Hydro Cannon".

Now if Glassdust Hulk had Improvise we'd be cooking.

Cannoneer is a great card, but should only be reserved for high powered environments.

That I knew, but since you can cast the Fury for free, you could conceivably have 4 mana open to pay for the ward.
Depends on the improvise part of the opponent. And leaving 4 mana open in the off chance that the opponent has the canon is a bit pushing it for most decks…

I really hate that there are so many cool designs that Don't Play Well With Others because they were designed for Commander or whatever.

A little bit of the stuff that Velrun brings up, but also just the fact that one-on-one magic has a very different balance point from multiplayer magic. I dunno, I just kinda wish the Magic had one power band it tried to stick to and not the four or so that we actually have.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Wait, so does Kappa Cannoneer trigger on itself or not? I'm confused.
As I said, it does. See the Cranial Insertion link :)

The problem with Kappa Cannoneer's Ward 4 isn't just that Ward 4 is obscenely big ward number but ALSO that the Blastoise is a big/big, so if Hero needs two spells to remove it (red burn, -x/-x effects) then the ward effectively just becomes hexproof. Not a fan of the design; a cheap big/big hexproof unblockable critter that's the two easiest cardtypes in the game to combo out is just miserable gameplay. I don't play Inkwell Leviathan and I don't play Blastoise.

(e: but Cyberdrive Awakener is a delight.)

For me its only the unblockable that does it.

That and of course the fact that it could be 5/5 and worded like normal cards.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Let's say you were drafting a Brawl Cube (think competitive 1v1 Commander/Tiny Leaders/whatever) - what legends would you be most excited to open and try to run as your Commander (ignoring colour identity or any other restrictions)?

Let's say you were drafting a Brawl Cube (think competitive 1v1 Commander/Tiny Leaders/whatever) - what legends would you be most excited to open and try to run as your Commander (ignoring colour identity or any other restrictions)?

Fantastic general for Brawl, very simple yet powerful, works well with a wide range of good cards, and reasonably open-ended to boot!

Great Burn Commander, plus has partner so it could feasibly expand into multiple colors. Krark Prowess Tokens with Tymna the Weaver? Cool! Krark Card Draw with Eligeth, Crossroads Augur? Amazing! Krark Broken Things with Thrassios, Triton Hero? You know it! Krark me, please!

I like this card, it's very cool.

Nice aggressive tempo commander with multiple different ways to build it. Would play if able!

Obligatory broken card.

Looking for aggro 1 drops that don't get blown out by Electrolyze and would hide in a normal scryfall search of toughness>1.

Things like
Kird Ape, Loam Lion, Nacatl.
Court Homunculus, Toolcraft Exemplar, Gearsmith Prodigy, Inventor's Apprentice.
Experiment One, Pelt Collector, Evolving Adaptive.

Those are the three categories of guys I've thought of so far.

Oh. Rakdos Cackler.